There are 221 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by buck:
I would have no problem with the selection of Beckham or Landry with one of our first three picks.

I tend to think that defenses were more able to focus on stopping Matthews and Robinson because they were the only serious receiving threats on their teams--and despite that focus Mathews and Robinson just could not be stopped.

hmmm.. good stuff.

Where do you guys estimate the speed factor in these 1st/2nd rd WRs? Which run a sub 4.5 and which are in danger of running above 4.5?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
hmmm.. good stuff.

Where do you guys estimate the speed factor in these 1st/2nd rd WRs? Which run a sub 4.5 and which are in danger of running above 4.5?

At this point, I have no idea who runs what. But, we shall see what the combine and pro days tell us.

But I am not sure to what degree speed, as measured by the 40, is important.

I do not deny that size, speed, and quickness have import, but these measurables will not convert a bad receiver into a good receiver.

I will argue, and have argued, that what makes Calvin Johnson great is his dedication to the game, his work ethic, his drive.

In short the great ones, the good ones are those with the skill set, the physical capacities, and the will to do the required work.
Originally posted by buck:
hmmm.. good stuff.

At this point, I have no idea who runs what. But, we shall see what the combine and pro days tell us.

But I am not sure to what degree speed, as measured by the 40, is important.

I do not deny that size, speed, and quickness have import, but these measurables will not convert a bad receiver into a good receiver.

I will argue, and have argued, that what makes Calvin Johnson great is his dedication to the game, his work ethic, his drive.

In short the great ones, the good ones are those with the skill set, the physical capacities, and the will to do the required work.

Oh yeah... agree with all of that. Was like, just wondering and stuffs.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Davante Adams with a big day 9 catches for 160+ yards and his 23 TD of the season.............BEAST!

I'd go Justin Gilbert with our 1st rounder and Adams with one of our 2nd rounders.

I don't think Adams will make it to the 49ers/Chiefs picks in the 2nd round

I think he does. We normally overvalue receivers and they end up going later due to talent levels elsewhere. Same will happen here. Plenty of defensive players will come off the board forcing receivers to fall
  • buck
  • Veteran
Oh yeah... agree with all of that. Was like, just wondering and stuffs.

Me too.

I have excel files with production grades, 40 times, 10 yard splits, 20 yard splits, weight adjusted 40 times, agility metrics, and it just goes on.

It keeps me busy and out of trouble.
are fans fine with trading up to select Marquise Lee?

I wouldnt want lee i remember a few weekz back watching tha cal VS usc N how they're talkin about lee N that they were told frm usc coachs that they try N keep lee's play count down cause after about 30-35 plays he starts making mental mistakes...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I wouldnt want lee i remember a few weekz back watching tha cal VS usc N how they're talkin about lee N that they were told frm usc coachs that they try N keep lee's play count down cause after about 30-35 plays he starts making mental mistakes...

That is alarming if true.

You are the only person I've ever heard say that.
Here's a good article on what you get if you draft Lee:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288495/article/nfl-teams-would-be-unwise-to-downgrade-usc-wr-marqise-lee
if we were to select a WR in the 1st or 2nd, with Lee/Evans/Watkins already off the board and guys like Matthews, Beckham, Robinson, still on the board, i can see Baalke/Harbaugh making a surprise pick and selecting Jared Abbrederis or Jarvis Landry
Originally posted by Hopper:

That is alarming if true.

Tha game happen on nov 9 cal vs usc ....lee was in N out for plays then they started talkin about why N what usc coachz told them...i first said N asked about thid in tha man crush lee thread N nobody replyed...so for me i wouldnt want lee ....

Originally posted by Travisty13:

You are the only person I've ever heard say that.
Here's a good article on what you get if you draft Lee:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288495/article/nfl-teams-would-be-unwise-to-downgrade-usc-wr-marqise-lee

Yea will im probably alone in alot of who I'd pick N wouldnt pick but Im ok with that lol...

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
if we were to select a WR in the 1st or 2nd, with Lee/Evans/Watkins already off the board and guys like Matthews, Beckham, Robinson, still on the board, i can see Baalke/Harbaugh making a surprise pick and selecting Jared Abbrederis or Jarvis Landry

I have yet to get enough study on Abbrederis to make a solid evaluation yet, but at the moment he's not that high on my list. Although based purely on system, it could be a choice the 49ers would consider. You have to be a good blocker on that Wisconsin team that really revolves around the run game.

I think we just need a collection of playmakers out there. Crabtree and Boldin are both playmaking WRs that are dominant blockers. Crabtree is more a game-breaker though, which Boldin isn't anymore due to the lack of speed. We need the ability to get vertical which will make Crabtree even more dangerous on the ins, crosses, drags, screens, etc. that allow him to use his great open-field moves and quickness to get RAC and make plays.

Patton is the wildcard. He flashes playmaking potential, has deceptive speed (most certainly not slow), and is a very smooth player in terms of his cuts and routes. With development, I think he has #2 WR potential within 1-2 years. Should at least be able to take Manningham's spot as the #3 by that point.
Originally posted by PTulini:

i want us to pick this dude
Originally posted by Riot:
In other words, trade everything for Sammy Watkins.
Given the numbers, I wouldn't mind to wait for Beckham. Seems to be the intermediate-deep threat we are looking for at WR.
Evans gains a lot YAC, though it should not be a surprise, given his size.

Now, I see why Beckham is considered as a 2nd-rounder: many drops.
Share 49ersWebzone