There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,627
Brandon Coleman's quiet season is difficult to explain

Coleman's size and skill-set have him squarely on the radar of NFL scouts. There has been speculation that he could be a first-round pick if he enters the 2014 Draft. Even if this disappointing season has caused his stock to drop, he figures to impress in workouts and earn an early-round selection.


http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/rutgers_wide_receiver_brandon_colemans_quiet_season_is_difficult_to_explain.html

interesting read.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Niners need a #1. More depth is not needed. Crabtree's injury will decrease what was only only average speed. If there is anyone in the draft that the FO believes is that #1, then trade up to get. Package Anthony Davis for instance with the Niners' #1 pick. Move Boone to right tackle. The Niners could then fill RG with Looney, Kilgore or another high pick.

yikes. i'd NEVER do that.
+1
Originally posted by buck:
Brandon Coleman's quiet season is difficult to explain

Coleman's size and skill-set have him squarely on the radar of NFL scouts. There has been speculation that he could be a first-round pick if he enters the 2014 Draft. Even if this disappointing season has caused his stock to drop, he figures to impress in workouts and earn an early-round selection.


http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/rutgers_wide_receiver_brandon_colemans_quiet_season_is_difficult_to_explain.html

interesting read.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I rewatched Miss St vs Ole Miss. Moncrief has a quick release off the line. It was quicker than I expected as were his cuts. He showed some athleticism the way he caught the ball. I didn't see a guy that could create after the catch like Allen Robinson can though. He may be the type of guy that can beat deep coverages and therefore give the offense that deep threat it needs.

I watched 3 games of 2013 Marqise Lee and I think we should trade up to get him. Most people have mocked in between 15-25 which isn't out of reach at all. I think he and Watkins would be great fits in this offense but Watkins will easily be top 15. I think Lee brings elite qualities to the table. Despite his size he has elite pass catching ability. His ability to adjust and stay inbound is incredible(See the reception back shoulder reception in the Stanford game). He has elite quickness which is probably his most useful quality in the USC offense. All the bubble screens, sweeps, isolations. and kick returns showcase that. He also shows off that quickness after the catch in his ability to navigate in the open field.

Lastly Lee is an elite route runner. He hasn't mastered the deep routes. Those are very much raw but his short and intermediate routes are executed to perfection. Lee has shown the ability to not only run the in, out, dig, cross, slant, and hit but he can also create yards after the catch. Lee understands route running at a high level and I recognize this in his ability to run after the catch. His balance is so good and hes so quick that before the defender even has time to fully react to the development of the route Lee is ready to catch and run into the open field.

He could instantly come in and rotate with with Boldin at #2 and Patton at slot receiver. I could see Patton,Lee, and Boldin basically rotating #2/Slot with Boldin getting 60% snaps. This rotation also keeps Lee fresh and allows him to adjust to the NFL without a heavy workload. Overwork has hurt his production this year so I think he could handle 15-20 snaps and PR/KR. His special team experience would also be an added bonus and hes pretty good at reading ST's.

I think the FO needs to hit on this WR pick. It's important for so many reason. Most off all we need solidarity at the position even if we resign Crab. We need a #2. Boldin is great but what he brings to the table is not like what Welker brought to Denver or Alshon Jeffrey brought to Chicago. A reciever like Lee that can eat up large chunks of yards make this offense twice as dynamic. Then you have Crabtree on the other side that can do all of the same things. Coverage starts shifting to the edges and out of the middle then Boldin and Davis are exploiting wide open spaces.

Maybe I'm exaggerating things but I feel like this is the best pick.

I think Moncrief is a guy that can be a better NFL player than college player, he has that quick release, a terrific double move, some good quickness, not a burner but a guy who reaches top speed quickly and gets down the field in a hurry. I'm honestly less worried about YAC than I am with someone who can get consistently open and I've seen Moncrief get consistently open against NFL quality cornerbacks. He hasn't had the most consistent QB play but he looks to be a very good player overall.
Originally posted by buck:
Brandon Coleman's quiet season is difficult to explain

Coleman's size and skill-set have him squarely on the radar of NFL scouts. There has been speculation that he could be a first-round pick if he enters the 2014 Draft. Even if this disappointing season has caused his stock to drop, he figures to impress in workouts and earn an early-round selection.


http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/rutgers_wide_receiver_brandon_colemans_quiet_season_is_difficult_to_explain.html

interesting read.


Not a fan of his at all. Doesn't separate very well, iffy hands, people like him mostly because he's big and tall but I don't really get the hype. I see him as a 3rd round pick right now, mid to late at that.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 269
All my 49ers Brothers

take a little look at

Mike Davis WR 6'2 Texas

What we need is someone to strech the feild, a mike wallace type player.

Vernon davis is the only receiver we have on the team that can get down field and he is a TE.

I see a lot of ability i Mike Davis that we would value on our team.

Originally posted by Elric:
All my 49ers Brothers

take a little look at

Mike Davis WR 6'2 Texas

What we need is someone to strech the feild, a mike wallace type player.

Vernon davis is the only receiver we have on the team that can get down field and he is a TE.

I see a lot of ability i Mike Davis that we would value on our team.


Nice find
Originally posted by Elric:
All my 49ers Brothers

take a little look at

Mike Davis WR 6'2 Texas

What we need is someone to strech the feild, a mike wallace type player.

Vernon davis is the only receiver we have on the team that can get down field and he is a TE.

I see a lot of ability i Mike Davis that we would value on our team.



Davis is an interesting prospect who could present good value in the 3rd or 4th round but he's not a Wallace kind of guy, don't see him having that sort of deep speed, I think he's similar to Quinton Patton and Michael Crabtree in terms of his speed, maybe a little faster, but not a burner.
I like the guy from Vanderbilt, Mathews, he's not the most flashy guy, but he's consistent and seems to play smart. I also like Jared Abbrederis and Tevin Reese.

I think the FO should focus on a wide out that will help Kaep's development as a QB, A diverse, intelligent wide out with great hands. Not some freakishly athletic 4.4 guy who will stroke Kaep's ego and friend him on twitter.
[ Edited by ninerhippy on Dec 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM ]
Paul Richardson in the 2nd please
Double Post
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM ]
What do you guys think needs to change? Obviously we haven't done a very good job of evaluating the WR position in recent years. We've had more failures drafting WRs than successes. Do we need a new WR coach? What would you suggest?

Considering that there could be some major changes coming to the Houston Texans, maybe we could hire WR Coach, Larry Kirksey? He has coached with the 49ers in the past.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/larry-kirksey/93587bb9-fdd5-4fca-857a-2dbd6fa8c4a2
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Paul Richardson in the 2nd please

Yea lets waste an other high draft pick on a under weight small WR
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Niners need a #1. More depth is not needed. Crabtree's injury will decrease what was only only average speed. If there is anyone in the draft that the FO believes is that #1, then trade up to get. Package Anthony Davis for instance with the Niners' #1 pick. Move Boone to right tackle. The Niners could then fill RG with Looney, Kilgore or another high pick.

Definitely not an option. Remember, he is locked up. 6 million in dead cap space is something we won't find acceptable.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Definitely not an option. Remember, he is locked up. 6 million in dead cap space is something we won't find acceptable.

More like 16 million.