LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
hey phoenix, what do you and the other expert think of kelvin benjamin? i am just a noob and have no clue, but saw him in a mock draft going to us in the second.

I don't know anyone here that is an expert, other than perhaps AB when it comes to cap issues, a bunch of us just stay at Holiday Inn.

He's a monster big receiver, huge red zone weapon but I don't know if he'd come out, he's only a sophomore. He's a MASSIVE guy with good speed, a downfield threat, seems like he'd be a TE in the NFL though.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't know anyone here that is an expert, other than perhaps AB when it comes to cap issues, a bunch of us just stay at Holiday Inn.

He's a monster big receiver, huge red zone weapon but I don't know if he'd come out, he's only a sophomore. He's a MASSIVE guy with good speed, a downfield threat, seems like he'd be a TE in the NFL though.

well...for me you are experts ;) and thanks for the evaluation. will be interesting if he comes out. if teams see him as TE he still could go in the second i guess.
well...for me you are experts ;) and thanks for the evaluation. will be interesting if he comes out. if teams see him as TE he still could go in the second i guess.

I would expect him to come out for the 2015 draft, if he drops some weight, possibly be looked at as a WR or a super athletic receiving TE in the vein of a Ladarius Green of San Diego.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I would expect him to come out for the 2015 draft, if he drops some weight, possibly be looked at as a WR or a super athletic receiving TE in the vein of a Ladarius Green of San Diego.

man Dorial Green-Beckham and Kelvin Benjamin could both declare next year
Originally posted by sfout:
man Dorial Green-Beckham and Kelvin Benjamin could both declare next year

Rumor is that Kelvin Benjamin is considering going pro. 212 yards and 3 TD today. We need to take him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM ]
Next year's WR class will be outstanding. This year's SENIOR class is horrendous. Might be one of the worst in the past decade. Quite honestly there isn't really a single prospect that really just jumps out at me and screams "great player." Now, this isn't to say there won't be some good players from the 2014 Senior WR class, but prospectively, it is incredibly weak.

I'm hopeful we can land a future star at WR with an underclassman that declares.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Next year's WR class will be outstanding. This year's SENIOR class is horrendous. Might be one of the worst in the past decade. Quite honestly there isn't really a single prospect that really just jumps out at me and screams "great player." Now, this isn't to say there won't be some good players from the 2014 Senior WR class, but prospectively, it is incredibly weak.

I'm hopeful we can land a future star at WR with an underclassman that declares.

lol -- couldn't agree more. Crazy Walterfootball has Jordan Matthews ranked 9th. 1-8 are all underclassmen, then from 13-16 you have Josh Huff, Cody Hoffman, DeVonte Parker, and Devin Steet. You don't see another senior until #25 which they say is Tevin Reese from Baylor.
Originally posted by sfout:

lol -- couldn't agree more. Crazy Walterfootball has Jordan Matthews ranked 9th. 1-8 are all underclassmen, then from 13-16 you have Josh Huff, Cody Hoffman, DeVonte Parker, and Devin Steet. You don't see another senior until #25 which they say is Tevin Reese from Baylor.

If I'm rating my top ten juniors and seniors, my early list would be:

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Marqise Lee, USC
3. Donte Moncrief, Mississippi
4. Allen Robinson, Penn St.
5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
6. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
7. Odell Beckham, LSU
8. Kasen Williams, Washington
9. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
10. Paul Richardson, Colorado
If I'm rating my top ten juniors and seniors, my early list would be:

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Marqise Lee, USC
3. Donte Moncrief, Mississippi
4. Allen Robinson, Penn St.
5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
6. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
7. Odell Beckham, LSU
8. Kasen Williams, Washington
9. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
10. Paul Richardson, Colorado

Moncrief should not be ahead of Allen Robinson.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Moncrief should not be ahead of Allen Robinson.

I agree. I think Robinson is a better route runners, faster, and more agile in the open field.
What do you guys think needs to change? Obviously we haven't done a very good job of evaluating the WR position in recent years. We've had more failures drafting WRs than successes. Do we need a new WR coach? What would you suggest?
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
Yes a thousand times to a new WR coach.

Maybe hire a WR consultant to advise them on their selection.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

So who are some of tha better WR coachs ???
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

So who are some of tha better WR coachs ???

Considering that there could be some major changes coming to the Houston Texans, maybe we could hire WR Coach, Larry Kirksey? He has coached with the 49ers in the past.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/larry-kirksey/93587bb9-fdd5-4fca-857a-2dbd6fa8c4a2
Share 49ersWebzone