There are 329 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Okoye a DE or a OT?

[
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Originally posted by Thechad49:
Learning Defensive end isn't exactly cake work either ..maybe if Okoye struggles at end or he doesnt have it in him...offensive tackle could be a nice fall back position for him to start developing

Sorry guys. Chances of him even playing football in today's game is

Still want to take that bet?
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html. Seems like harbaugh is regretting not putting Okoye at offensive tackle.
Originally posted by Thechad49:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html. Seems like harbaugh is regretting not putting Okoye at offensive tackle.

IF he makes the team , then maybe Harbs throws him out there as an extra TE in the Jumbo Packages , but asking a player who never played organized football in the past to digest an NFL offensive playbook is a bit too much
I honestly don't know where some of these questions come from...Okoye was never envisioned as anything other than a defensive player. Defense is easier to learn than offense, and the goal was to see if he could learn the game so he could be functional. I agree with those who're saying it's a longshot he makes it...that said, it takes nothing away from his obvious physical talent as an athlete. Transitioning that to play football is a tough deal...as he says, the OTAs were the hardest thing he's ever done. Just wait for training camp...his eyes will really be opened then. It'd be nice if he could make the team, but the reality is that's largely a pipe-dream. If he can, more power to him, but if not, he's giving it a very good try.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The Kwame Harris on defense. lol
And Michael Carter was just a shot putter.......
Originally posted by eastie:
And Michael Carter was just a shot putter.......

Forgive me if you're joking, but Michael Carter was a DT as well in college. Okoye is one little leg injury away from hanging it up.
The Niners have to be patient with this guy. There is no way he's going to become a competent player overnight. He'll need time and the 49ers need to be willing to wait.
Maybe get him involved in the CFL to gain some experience.
I think guard fullback or de/dt would be great fits for him.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
regardless of which position is easiest to learn, okoye should play at the position he is athletically well suited for.
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:

All of this based on? His body size? Just curious since we haven't seen him in pads
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:

All of this based on? His body size? Just curious since we haven't seen him in pads

I meant once or if he develops bc harbaugh loves multiple role players