There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tight End Class of 2013

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Buck, you must've used a different resource for 40 times. Walter's football lists Eifert's official 40 time as 4.68 and McDonald's as 4.69. And not to be a stickler, but they have Eifert at 250 not 251. The only reason I mention it is because I think it's weird how people can get different weight numbers from the same combine.

That's still great newsabout the 40 time considering Vance had 17 pounds on Eifert.

I got the times for nfldraftscout.com, I posted the link immediately below the list of 40 times.

At the combine, there are two official times and one official time. I have decided just to use nfldraftscout for my times.

Here is the link again.
Not sure why I have Eifert at 251.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC
[ Edited by buck on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I got the times for nfldraftscout.com, I posted the link immediately below the list of 40 times.

At the combine, there are two official times and one official time. I have decided just to use nfldraftscout for my times.

Here is the link again.
Not sure why I have Eifert at 251.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

NFLDraftScout is typically about as wrong as two boys together in a bathtub filled with jello.

Go to NFL's Combine site for the correct numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
NFLDraftScout is typically about as wrong as two boys together in a bathtub filled with jello.

Go to NFL's Combine site for the correct numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215

I tend to think that the official times at the combine are suspect.
They start the clock when a players hand moves.
That means the times favor those who learn the technique well.

At the combine, we end up with three times; first run, second run, and official.

But, you may be right.

Next year, I will use the official times from the combine in my calculations.

edit: But, if I use the official times, what should I do with those who do not do the 40 until their pro day. Those times are clearly not reliable.

I am open to suggestions.

It would be nice to have one source for the times.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM ]
I tend to think that the official times at the combine are suspect.
They start the clock when a players hand moves.
That means the times favor those who learn the technique well.

At the combine, we end up with three times; first run, second run, and official.

But, you may be right.

Next year, I will use the official times from the combine in my calculations.

edit: But, if I use the official times, what should I do with those who do not do the 40 until their pro day. Those times are clearly not reliable.

I am open to suggestions.

It would be nice to have one source for the times.

I never really take Pro Day times all that seriously, Combine is the gold standard to me, because there's at least some standards.

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or trying to show you up. I think overall McDonald has the best combination of athletic ability of all the draft eligible TEs, he also doesn't have Trex arms like Ertz.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I never really take Pro Day times all that seriously, Combine is the gold standard to me, because there's at least some standards.

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or trying to show you up. I think overall McDonald has the best combination of athletic ability of all the draft eligible TEs, he also doesn't have Trex arms like Ertz.

I do not feel like your are trying to show me up or be a dick. I do not feel shown up.

The 40 times at the combine maybe the standard, but the timing system they use is 1/2 manual and 1/2 electronic.
The "better" prospects gain a clear advantage because they can attend better training programs and improve their technique.

If the hand moves before the body, it kills the prospect's time, well hurts it seriously.

My understanding is that teams trust the times they take more than the official combeine times.

Maybe, I will just send Baalke an email and ask him for the times the 49ers use. He coached at South Dakota State.
I will talk to him about Brookings, the Jackrabbits, the NCC, Joe Foss, the Corn Palace, and pheasant hunting. I am sure that will work.

Well, whatever I do, I will make it clear where I got my times.
GREAT POST......I have to admit, I was not excited about the Vance McDonald pick. But seeing of the related stats I'm thinking why
didn't this guy get more run. I think his stock soared at the Senior bowl.

I have watched some of his college film, his highlights and Greg Roman and Harbaugh are drooling over how to use this guy.

Vernon Davis said he is the fastest 270lb guy he has ever seen. He has 4.6 speed, is a bigger target than Delanie and you can move him all around.

I really like this pick.
Thanks Buck, McDonald is going to make an impact in year one.
I do not feel like your are trying to show me up or be a dick. I do not feel shown up.

The 40 times at the combine maybe the standard, but the timing system they use is 1/2 manual and 1/2 electronic.
The "better" prospects gain a clear advantage because they can attend better training programs and improve their technique.

If the hand moves before the body, it kills the prospect's time, well hurts it seriously.

My understanding is that teams trust the times they take more than the official combeine times.

Maybe, I will just send Baalke an email and ask him for the times the 49ers use. He coached at South Dakota State.
I will talk to him about Brookings, the Jackrabbits, the NCC, Joe Foss, the Corn Palace, and pheasant hunting. I am sure that will work.

Well, whatever I do, I will make it clear where I got my times.

Yeah, be sure to let us know how that works out for you.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
GREAT POST......I have to admit, I was not excited about the Vance McDonald pick. But seeing of the related stats I'm thinking why
didn't this guy get more run. I think his stock soared at the Senior bowl.

I have watched some of his college film, his highlights and Greg Roman and Harbaugh are drooling over how to use this guy.

Vernon Davis said he is the fastest 270lb guy he has ever seen. He has 4.6 speed, is a bigger target than Delanie and you can move him all around.

I really like this pick.

The 2013 Consensus Understatement Of The Year goes to...................