There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mel Kiper's Early Top 50 for 2014 Draft

smoking spice what's that?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
The 2014 draft class looks much better than 2013.

Top DL like Clowney, but also ND boys, Tuitt and Nix, former ND, current USF Lynch.

NT like Mount McCullers.

CB is loaded, Roby, Purifoy, the kid from Oregon. NDs Jackson.

Working on a new big board, should have one up on PigskinProspects.com soon.

I don't know that the CB class is "loaded," but there are a few good ones. There was an ESPN insider article that said Marcus Roberson could end up being better than his teammate Louchiez Purifoy, but I think that article had more to do with the fact that Roberson was more highly recruited than actually watching them play. Louchiez Purifoy is better IMO. Roby is a rare talent at CB, and I would kill to get him in a Niners' uniform...

I'm starting to like Jason Verret too. He doesn't look like a star, but he looks like a future starter & a good one.

Take is as an opinion. I like the CB class. Verrett is one I like too. Also Antonie Exum is a good one, I havent seen much on him. I usually use youtube. This year I got gameplan thru DirecTV, and have the Genie, 5 tuners, so I'll be recording games.

I'm not a fan of the CB's out of florida. Purifoy is less than impressive when he faced certain competition. This might be one of those cases where the CB's benefit from the pressure florida puts on QB's and that florida hasn't faced that many quality QB's. Maybe I just happen to watch the wrong games, who knows.
Originally posted by fister30:
The 2014 draft class looks much better than 2013.

Top DL like Clowney, but also ND boys, Tuitt and Nix, former ND, current USF Lynch.

NT like Mount McCullers.

CB is loaded, Roby, Purifoy, the kid from Oregon. NDs Jackson.

Working on a new big board, should have one up on PigskinProspects.com soon.

I don't know that the CB class is "loaded," but there are a few good ones. There was an ESPN insider article that said Marcus Roberson could end up being better than his teammate Louchiez Purifoy, but I think that article had more to do with the fact that Roberson was more highly recruited than actually watching them play. Louchiez Purifoy is better IMO. Roby is a rare talent at CB, and I would kill to get him in a Niners' uniform...

I'm starting to like Jason Verret too. He doesn't look like a star, but he looks like a future starter & a good one.

Take is as an opinion. I like the CB class. Verrett is one I like too. Also Antonie Exum is a good one, I havent seen much on him. I usually use youtube. This year I got gameplan thru DirecTV, and have the Genie, 5 tuners, so I'll be recording games.

I'm not a fan of the CB's out of florida. Purifoy is less than impressive when he faced certain competition. This might be one of those cases where the CB's benefit from the pressure florida puts on QB's and that florida hasn't faced that many quality QB's. Maybe I just happen to watch the wrong games, who knows.

I saw him get lit up in the Georgia game by Mitchell, who is a good prospect also. All the other games I saw he was solid and made plays. One of the best special teamers in all of college football. Great passion for the game

Do you mean you're not a fan of Purifoy & Roberson or just Gator CBs in general?
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Sep 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM ]
Originally posted by mtminer:
I saw him get lit up in the Georgia game by Mitchell, who is a good prospect also. All the other games I saw he was solid and made plays. One of the best special teamers in all of college football. Great passion for the game

Mitchell tore his ACL, out for the year fyi
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by mtminer:

Mitchell tore his ACL, out for the year fyi

Ouch that sucks.

Do you mean you're not a fan of Purifoy & Roberson or just Gator CBs in general?

Personally I like both. Saw a little of Roberson for 1st time saturday against Toledo. Wasn't Haden from UF? He is legit CB in Cleveland.
Personally I like both. Saw a little of Roberson for 1st time saturday against Toledo. Wasn't Haden from UF? He is legit CB in Cleveland.

I thought roberson and purifoy were suspended. Without getting in depth I think roberson has better coverage ability. Purifoy isnt bad by a long shot but he gets turned around from time to time. Both of them can play press man because of their size. The thing about purifoy are his instincts. Hes the type of guy that tackles like a rket. Hes a turnover machine .

Yea haden was a gator but he was coached by urban meyer
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM ]
Didn't know which thread to post this...

After watching FSU & Pitt, I have to say that Timmy Jernigan hasn't done anything to change my mind about him. Still think he's overrated. Not that he isn't a good prospect, but I think he's rated too high. Lamarcus Joyner was impressive tonight. The 49ers are going to need DBs next offseason, and he's pretty high on my wish list at this point.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:

I thought roberson and purifoy were suspended. Without getting in depth I think roberson has better coverage ability. Purifoy isnt bad by a long shot but he gets turned around from time to time. Both of them can play press man because of their size. The thing about purifoy are his instincts. Hes the type of guy that tackles like a rket. Hes a turnover machine .

Yea haden was a gator but he was coached by urban meyer

You're right, lol. I take my statement back. I only watched a little Florida/Toledo. Forgot they got suspended. I have seen Purifoy play. Good CB.
Didn't know which thread to post this...

After watching FSU & Pitt, I have to say that Timmy Jernigan hasn't done anything to change my mind about him. Still think he's overrated. Not that he isn't a good prospect, but I think he's rated too high. Lamarcus Joyner was impressive tonight. The 49ers are going to need DBs next offseason, and he's pretty high on my wish list at this point.

I agree with you, I didn't see the big hype about Timmy Jernigan. I thought the best DT in the game was actually Pitt's (Aaron Donald or something like that, always forget his name).

Joyner looked physical and strong out there, had the body of like a safety. I thought Street had the better of him initially, who also looked good.

Christian Jones on FSU didn't look like much of a factor.

Will be interesting to see what FSU defense does when they face a QB that doesn't throw it directly to defenders
We need to replace the aging veterans with the younger and new breed of blood.
DT, CB and WR is what should we concentrate the most and we need to target thosebody by all means necessary even if we trade up and use 13 picks that we have.

Players on the 1st Round who should be on our watch list and within reach.

DT - Anthony Johnson; LSU
DT - Timmy Jernigan; FSU
CB - Loucheiz Purifoy; FLORIDA
CB - Jason Verrett; TCU
WR - De'Anthony Thomas; OREGON
WR - Jordan Matthews; Vanderbilt

Originally posted by 9moon:
We need to replace the aging veterans with the younger and new breed of blood.
DT, CB and WR is what should we concentrate the most and we need to target thosebody by all means necessary even if we trade up and use 13 picks that we have.

Players on the 1st Round who should be on our watch list and within reach.

DT - Anthony Johnson; LSU
DT - Timmy Jernigan; FSU
CB - Loucheiz Purifoy; FLORIDA
CB - Jason Verrett; TCU
WR - De'Anthony Thomas; OREGON
WR - Jordan Matthews; Vanderbilt

I would add Justin Gilbert, Ok State CB, might be a 1st-2nd rd pick come april.

for WR n round 2, Brandon Coleman. I really hope we stay away from rd 1 WRs. We got bured on Jenkins. Don't want to again.

I would go CB in rd 1
then if we get KCs 2nd, got SS, WR
Round 3 is a crap shoot, could have 3 3rds or 4 if KC finished below 8-8. Maybe a backup Tackle. Backup Center if Kilgore is the guy.

Honestly, I feel we are stacked, and only have a few weaknesses. CB maybe 2 of them, we have Brown, Aso, Wright, and Cox FAs, plus Rogers needs to go or giant pay cut.

We are good at QB, just need a quality 3rd guy. I feel fine with Daniels as #2 a yr from now.
RB is solid, keep Gore around for a few more yrs, restructure, get an extension, and mentor Lattimore
WR looks good, Baldwin, Patton, get Boldin and/or MM signed. Williams could be let go, same as Moore.
TE is legit, Vernon, Vance, and if pans out Delanie 2.0(Harper)
OL starters are stacked. Need depth
DL is stacked, no need for depth. We have 6 quality players for 2014.
OLB is good too, Skuta and Lemonier are capable backups. Maybe 1 more for depth
ILB is good, Moody and Wilhoite are good. Wilhoite is a EFA, but I would extend him after 2013, ala Boone like deal
CB needs work. Cully is a main stay, keep him long term
S is good
K is good if Dawson pans out
P and LS are great I have faith in McDermott.
He updated his top 25, here it is below.

1- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, S.Carolina
2- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
3- Louis Nix III - NT, Notre Dame
4. Jake Matthews, OT, A&M
5. Marquise Lee, WR, USC
6. OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
7. OT Cyrus Kouandijo, Alabama
8. OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
9. OT Cameron Erving, FSU
10. DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
11. CB Louchiez Purifoy, Florida
12. QB Brett Hundley, UCLA
13. OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo (Highest Rise)
14. LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama
15. DT Timmy Jernigan, FSU
16. WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson
17. OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
18. CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
19. WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss.
20. DE Aaron Lynch, USF
21. DT Anthony Johnson, LSU
22.RB/WR De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
23. OG David Yankey, Stanford
24. S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama
25. Gabe Jackson, OG, Miss. State

I dont get no Tajh Boyd, or why Watkins is so damn low.

Also Moncrief is high, haven't keyed on him yet, just a few highlights.

I like Yankey more than Kiper. I have him top 10 right now. As good as DeCastro IMO, if not better.
CB will most likely be a position of need next year and perhaps S, so that's good news.