There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

patton had more yards than your top 4

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Gotta luv tha little rascal still fighting even after he lost his man...

You got it wrong, it is the 9ers who lost their man. By the way, not just Hunter, Ertz as well. Traded down the 34th and lost 2 high ranked impact playmakers in a row. At least pick a top TE to replace Delanie for cry out loud and not some Vance McDonald who by his own admission is "hugely under-developed". So much for a replacement huh ?! LOL.
Originally posted by Rascal:

You got it wrong, it is the 9ers who lost their man. By the way, not just Hunter, Ertz as well. Traded down the 34th and lost 2 high ranked impact playmakers in a row. At least pick a top TE to replace Delanie for cry out loud and not some Vance McDonald who by his own admission is "hugely under-developed". So much for a replacement huh ?! LOL.

having been a member for 6 years now... I can tell you many have been made a fool when making statements such as yours.

Alex will never get us to the playoffs
VD has terrible hands
Bowman doesnt look ready
Baalke is not qualified, we need to look out of the house
Anthony Davis is too young
Aldon Smith was picked WAY too high
T. Brown is a scrub
Z. Keasey is better than Norris
Kaepernick is not ready
Kaepernick will be a bust
We're going 12-4 (2009)
We're going 1-15 (2011)
Converting Bruce Miller to FB is a dumb idea.
Move VD to OLB
Should have drafted Braylon Edwards
Should have drafted Carriker
Should have drafted Michael Huff
We should've signed Asomugha
We should've signed Adalius Thomas
WE WANT CARR WE WANT CARR
Troy Smith is the real deal
JT O'sullivan is the real deal
Shaun Hill is the real deal
Nate Davis is the real deal
Frank Gore is getting too old (2009)
Frank Gore is getting too old (2010)
Frank Gore is getting too old (2011)
Frank Gore is getting too old (2012)
Kory Sheets is gonna be a star
Dashon Goldson can't tackle
Who the f**k is Chris Culliver? BUST!
Jed York doesnt know what he's doing
Niners will never get a new stadium
Niners are going to move to LA! Book it!
Niners are going to share with the raiders.
Crabtree is a bust

Nobody knows what the f**k they're talking about. So shut up and enjoy the show

Blah..blah...blah.....you went butt-wild over a player that doesn't fit into the 49ers system and are mad when they don't draft him......good call.
In 2011, Justin Hunter went down with an ACL and in 2012 he fought hard to come back from the injury and needless to say, somewhat rusty still cleared 1,000 receiving yards. And don't forget, Tennessee also had another pretty decent receiver by the name of Cordarrelle Patterson who had a fair share of the ball and chalked up a good chunk of yards too.

Here is where one needs to make their money. Was Patterson good because of Hunter or vice versa? How would they do if they had someone that didn't complement them, better or worse QB. How was the running game? Type of offense they ran? All factor how one judges a player.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
having been a member for 6 years now... I can tell you many have been made a fool when making statements such as yours.

VD has terrible hands
Bowman doesnt look ready
T. Brown is a scrub
Kaepernick is not ready
We're going 12-4 (2009)
We're going 1-15 (2011)
Move VD to OLB
Crabtree is a bust

lol..

You are like the three you named are going to be guarenteed impact plaayers or superstars. You are drafting purely on flash and sexy pick, niners are drafting to a program they have in place and the import of that postion. As for TE, JH knows Ertz and knows the type player he wants, just as he was insistant with Baalke about getting Kaep, if Ertz was that important and would have made that much of an impact then JH would have said something. Look at last year, we past on another sexy TE named Coby. Cause to JH, he knew at the time and now, it was not primary concern, getting a talented te is easier than getting a talented getting a talented def. player. Yes Vance is a project but not as bad as you think. For someone who is taller his (Ertz) arm span is shorter, his vertical is less and his strength is less as well as other measurables. The number one factor for TE #2 is blocking, while, Vance never played in-line much, Ertz according to scouting reports gets tossed to easily to some. Now if all you want is want is a pass catching te then fine, but that is not what the niners solely want. In other words Ertz has reached is potential is the view while Vance with good coaching and use has a higher upside. Also Vance's frame allows him to put on more weight if he needs, contrary to what you might think, height does not determie ability to put on more weight all the time.

Kid you need to learn about building the team to your system, not what is sexy and flashy.
I need to make sure it is well-documented should Justin Hunter turns out to be a beast so that Baalke would know he screwed up big time. Oh well, only time will tell, let's see what happens then.

Define beast in your term, mine is Fritz and Megatron, Jerry rice or Moss in his prime. Those that you must double cover. Or is it like the dozens of others that are just good players that put up good numbers because they are the number receiver that you call beast? like who? Those can be had all the time if given the chance.

So if the three are just decent/ordinary receivers that catch maybe only 60-to 70+ balls in their prime would you eat crow, cause I don't see those numbers equating to beast or impact player.

VD has terrible hands
Bowman doesnt look ready
T. Brown is a scrub
Kaepernick is not ready
We're going 12-4 (2009)
We're going 1-15 (2011)
Move VD to OLB
Should have drafted Braylon Edwards I'm guilty of this one
Crabtree is a bust

Well said Modninerfan.....well said.

VD has terrible hands
Bowman doesnt look ready
T. Brown is a scrub
Kaepernick is not ready
We're going 12-4 (2009)
We're going 1-15 (2011)
Move VD to OLB
Crabtree is a bust

Oh I am all for it. Pleaseeee make a fool out of me !! Please do !! I totally welcome that !! Whatever happened has happened already however unfortunate it may be, is too late for us to undo those decisions now. What are you talking about ? I am a 9ers fan, of course I hope they prove me wrong, I don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

There is no need to tell me to shut up cos sh*t does happen from time to time, do you remember the statement which somehow I can't seem to be able to locate on your list "we should have drafted Aaron Rodgers" ? Hmm, strange, I thought it might have been on it since you made such a huge effort in making your list so all-encompassing.

Just remember, not every move made by the 9ers are golden. As a true fan, you are compelled to celebrate the good as well as recognizing the bad. Alright, buddie ?!
I had a draft crush on Da'Rick Rogers...which is in the draft forum. I was calling (somewhat loudly) for Baalke to draft him...but he didn't, nor did any other team. He signed as an UDFA w/Bills. That said, I'm stoked we have Patton...he's the real deal and has no baggage. Now I hear he showed up in SF ready to roll...but, as a rookie he's not allowed to be on Niner premises 'til next week. Got to love his enthusiasm and "want to"...he's already made an indelible impression on Harbaugh. So, as some other posters said, you've got to let your crush go after the draft. Baalke's proven again he knows what he's doing.
comparing the yards they had in college as a basis for selecting a WR isnt wise. You always look at results, but they are not the only factor. So this thread really has NO POINT.

You have to look at the measurables, the individuaul, the system, the competition, the talent, the QB who threw to him, etc. Its not just about yards. If that was the case, Danny Woodhead would have been the first RB selected.

I love Patton, BTW, but come on.
just because... I don't like WR from Tennessee.

Tennessee WRs drafted in the 5th round or higher since 1980. aka - why I wouldn't draft a Volunteer WR before the 5th round...

Danarius Moore 5-148
Robert Meachem 1-27
Kelly Washington 3-65
Donte Stallworth 1-13
Peerless Price 2-53
Marcus Nash 1-30
Joey Kent 2-46
CORY FLEMMING 3-87 (Remember him 9er fans... yeah we drafted him in 94)
Carl Pickens 2-31 (probably the best pick - he had 4 pretty good seasons in a 9 yr career)
Alvin Harper 1-12
Anthony Morgan 5-134
Anthony Miller 1-15 (probably the best WR to come out of Tennessee)
Tim McGee 1-21
Clyde Duncan 1-11
Willie Gault 1-18
Darryal Wilson 2-47
Mike Miller 4-104
Anthony Hancock 1-11

I count 8 first round busts. Other than Anthony Miller and Carl Pickens I don't think any other player had multiple 1,000 yard seasons, and most of them had zero.
Originally posted by WildBill:

You are like the three you named are going to be guarenteed impact plaayers or superstars. You are drafting purely on flash and sexy pick, niners are drafting to a program they have in place and the import of that postion. As for TE, JH knows Ertz and knows the type player he wants, just as he was insistant with Baalke about getting Kaep, if Ertz was that important and would have made that much of an impact then JH would have said something. Look at last year, we past on another sexy TE named Coby. Cause to JH, he knew at the time and now, it was not primary concern, getting a talented te is easier than getting a talented getting a talented def. player. Yes Vance is a project but not as bad as you think. For someone who is taller his (Ertz) arm span is shorter, his vertical is less and his strength is less as well as other measurables. The number one factor for TE #2 is blocking, while, Vance never played in-line much, Ertz according to scouting reports gets tossed to easily to some. Now if all you want is want is a pass catching te then fine, but that is not what the niners solely want. In other words Ertz has reached is potential is the view while Vance with good coaching and use has a higher upside. Also Vance's frame allows him to put on more weight if he needs, contrary to what you might think, height does not determie ability to put on more weight all the time.

Kid you need to learn about building the team to your system, not what is sexy and flashy.

There is no such thing as "guaranteed" and you know it. What you do is you exhaust on all the information you have on any given player at hand and make the best possible decision. "Flash" and "sexy" are only your choice of words. However, there is a reason why certain players are "more flashy" and "more sexy" and thus ranked higher than others. That comes from the immense information gathering from scouts and analysts.

Also, it is unrealistic to think Jim Harbaugh can simply insist on every single player he wants cos otherwise Baalke, his boss may I add will have nothing to do but just to execute according to his wishes. My guess is Harbaugh will have to pick his player to push and yet leaving enough room for Baalke to make his own picks.

As for your point on the No. 2 TE's main task being blocking is also not true. Apart from blocking, Delanie was frequently targetted by Kaep last season whereby at one stage Vernon was even wondering why he hadn't been targetted more when the media started asking questions about his lack of receptions and TDs. Ertz as compared to McDonald is by far the better catcher without a doubt, in other words by far the bigger playmaker, that is the operative word here and my point.

As for weight, I really don't understand your point, Vernon only weighs 250 lbs, does Ertz really need to put on that much more weight ? He is 2" taller than Vernon and weighs 249 lbs, so may be we are talking about at most another 15 lbs or so ?

And your last point, firstly, I wish I was still a "kid", I would be quite happy if you could take 20 years off me. But, about building to your system, do you care to explain how does Ertz not fit to 9ers' system ? Previous systems and schemes played are overrated, we draft guys who played 4-3 to play 3-4 all the time. Is not a huge deal, is all about coaching.
Dont call people a kid. There is no reason for it.
I hope he becomes the top wideout selected in the 2013 draft. No sense arguing here what's done is done, Patton is our guy whether you like it or not.