LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

2014 defensive back/safety class?

• buck
  • Veteran
Alabama junior S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban for a violation of team rules.

This is a massive loss for the Alabama defense, as Clinton-Dix was one of the Crimson Tide's best players outside of senior linebacker C.J. Mosley. "I don't know for how long this will be, so don't ask me that," Saban said after announcing the suspension. This defense has struggled to generate a consistent pass rush for the last two seasons, but Clinton-Dix has made play after play at multiple levels of the field. We consider him a top 20 talent in this year's draft class.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27201/bama-s-clinton-dix-suspended-indefinitely

A talented underclassmen with excellent range and ball skills, Clinton-Dix currently is ranked No. 18 on Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 for 2014. He's second on the team with 24 tackles and two pass breakups.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9761124/ha-ha-clinton-dix-alabama-crimson-tide-suspended-indefinitely-violation-team-rules

I wonder what happened. This, in my opinion, is a big deal.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Alabama junior S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban for a violation of team rules.

This is a massive loss for the Alabama defense, as Clinton-Dix was one of the Crimson Tide's best players outside of senior linebacker C.J. Mosley. "I don't know for how long this will be, so don't ask me that," Saban said after announcing the suspension. This defense has struggled to generate a consistent pass rush for the last two seasons, but Clinton-Dix has made play after play at multiple levels of the field. We consider him a top 20 talent in this year's draft class.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27201/bama-s-clinton-dix-suspended-indefinitely

A talented underclassmen with excellent range and ball skills, Clinton-Dix currently is ranked No. 18 on Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 for 2014. He's second on the team with 24 tackles and two pass breakups.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9761124/ha-ha-clinton-dix-alabama-crimson-tide-suspended-indefinitely-violation-team-rules

I wonder what happened. This, in my opinion, is a big deal.

His first name is Ha Ha??!?!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
His first name is Ha Ha??!?!

Nickname. Ha'sean is his real first name
Originally posted by Hopper:
Nickname. Ha'sean is his real first name

This.

I don't think this hurts Bamas defense.

It will definately have a some ripple effects on secondary cohesiveness, but there's not a lack of depth at safety.

Landon Collins was the best safety from the 2012 class. Bama fan's have been calling for him at star. He's their best tackler at DB.

Clearly Hasean was a top 15 talent but all things considered Bama could not ask for better backup.

The real question is why...

I have a feeling it was academic or possibly a fall out with the coaches/players.

Obviously an arrest would make the situation very complicated, but besides that this could work to the team's benefit. The further from the top 15 the better.

What's the zones opinion on picking another safety in the 1st?

Also has anyone else been following Dion Bailey?

Hes not being talked about but I think he would be a great option at strong safety that would be available early 2nd. I think he will fly under the radar because he switches from LB this year.

From the snaps I have seen he's incredibly instinctual with great tackling. He played WLB so he could transition to SS with ease. Don't ask my logic but to me his LB qualities would transalate to the position well.

I feel the same way about Reid.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

The real question is why...

The why will be important.

It could drop him far enough down in the draft for us to get him.

Waiting for more information on the why, but it might never be clear.
How about Deone Bucannon from WSU... I have seen a lot of him good size 6-1, 210, Speed 4.5, Ball Skills and loves to Hit... Hard.. He may be a somewhat off the radar guy that would fit well with Reid. They would be almost interchangeable Safeties.

I am guessing he could go anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th round. The 49ers are loaded with picks and could see them having interest in him.

He is also a local guy from Fairfield.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Alabama junior S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix received impermissible benefits from assistant strength and conditioning coach Corey Harris.

Clinton-Dix had already been suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban for "a violation of team rules;" we just hadn't known what that violation was until now. Alabama placed Harris, who reportedly gave Clinton-Dix a loan worth less than $500 over the summer, on administrative leave. NCAA Bylaw 16.11.2.2 states that "an institutional employee or representative of the institution's athletics interests may not provide a student-athlete with extra benefits or services, including, but not limited to ... a loan of money." Upon internal investigation, UA's compliance office uncovered Harris' connection to a representative of a sports agent. Clinton-Dix has handed over his bank records to department representatives to show a withdrawal he says was used to repay Harris.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27221/clinton-dix-received-impermissible-benefits

I do not know what this means that Clinton-Dix, his career at Alabama, or the draft.
Alabama junior S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix received impermissible benefits from assistant strength and conditioning coach Corey Harris.

Clinton-Dix had already been suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban for "a violation of team rules;" we just hadn't known what that violation was until now. Alabama placed Harris, who reportedly gave Clinton-Dix a loan worth less than $500 over the summer, on administrative leave. NCAA Bylaw 16.11.2.2 states that "an institutional employee or representative of the institution's athletics interests may not provide a student-athlete with extra benefits or services, including, but not limited to ... a loan of money." Upon internal investigation, UA's compliance office uncovered Harris' connection to a representative of a sports agent. Clinton-Dix has handed over his bank records to department representatives to show a withdrawal he says was used to repay Harris.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27221/clinton-dix-received-impermissible-benefits

I do not know what this means that Clinton-Dix, his career at Alabama, or the draft.

Where is/ was he projected to go? What are your thoughts on his skill set?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I am no expert, but from what I have read he should be a mid to late first round pick.

His suspension could drop him in the draft, but it does not sound all that serious. He needed $, got a loan and paid it back.

I am no expert, but from what I have read he should be a mid to late first round pick.

His suspension could drop him in the draft, but it does not sound all that serious. He needed $, got a loan and paid it back.

Nice, just trying to gather as much info as i can on the DB's in this draft class since we will most likely see a pretty big turnover in the Niner secondary this offseason. A quality CB with the first pick is a must, imo (of course WR will also be a pressing matter depending on what happens with Crabtree, Boldin etc)

Originally posted by bigwads:
Our secondary will be the primary concern next year, obviously. I'm sure Baalke with find some decent players, even starting caliber, in FA. It would not surprise me to see him draft and OLB or ILB high either-with the amount of money currently being spent on our LB's corps, especially after A. Smith gets a new deal, it simply isn't sustainable. We will be spending 35 million on our starting LB's altogether. That is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Baalke simply draft BPA with an eye on the secondary...and not pay too much attention to needs. Baalke generally doesn't put himself in a situation where he must draft for need.

If 4 of those linebackers are All-Pros, nothing insane about it. If anything you draft heavy on other positions to keep a steady flow of cheaper talent coming in.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schexyoung:
Craig Loston simply destroys people with his hitting

And he has some speed.

But he has never stayed injury free for an entire season. Likely a 3rd round pick, but I would love to have him at the SS and on special teams.

I am less interested in the destroying people than in his covering people or his being a sure tackler.
Nice, just trying to gather as much info as i can on the DB's in this draft class since we will most likely see a pretty big turnover in the Niner secondary this offseason. A quality CB with the first pick is a must, imo (of course WR will also be a pressing matter depending on what happens with Crabtree, Boldin etc)

It's all about Jason Verrett yo. Cocky b*****d, but he backs it up with his play. Totally destroyed Ward when TCU played Texas Tech. The way its looking, I see him as a late 1st rounder.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'm not a huge fan of this safety class.

I'm hoping Eric Reid takes over as the SS next year & Whitner bolts. That means I'd want another Eric Reid type of player (which is a lot to ask). But I want them to err on the side of coverage ability over tackling / run support. There aren't a lot of safeties I like for that role in this draft.

I like Ed Reynolds of Stanford, even after he got ejected for blowing up ASU's QB.

• buck
  • Veteran
The University of Alabama has placed an assistant strength coach on administrative leave for providing improper benefits to safety HaHa Clinton-Dix, according to The Tuscaloosa News.

UA coach Nick Saban announced Clinton-Dix, one of the top pro prospects in the nation, was suspended for a team rules violation on Wednesday, and it was reported Thursday that Alabama expects him to miss 1-3 games. The university self-reported that Clinton-Dix received an impermissible benefit and proposed a 1-3 game suspension to the NCAA, per CBSSports.com.

The NCAA can accept the proposal or deny it and issue a longer suspension.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254961/article/ua-puts-strength-coach-on-leave-for-providing-money-to-clintondix
Share 49ersWebzone