LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

Concerns with Eric Reid

So your evaluation of Reid is based on first hand observation? You've actually seen him, live, at games, and aren't just relying on someone else's review of some snippets of utube tape?

My observations are based on first hand viewing at LSU games and stories from friends close to the coaching staff / trainers.
Originally posted by schexyoung:
My observations are based on first hand viewing at LSU games and stories from friends close to the coaching staff / trainers.
Thanks for sharing them!
  • CRUD
Jesus aged Christ. If Reid is a bust I'll buy everyone in this thread a beer! It aint happening
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Pillbusta.
Reid has all the tools to be a great safety and he is intelligent to boot. He has the size, the strength, the speed, and enough of the change of direction and fluidity to do anything a S needs to do. No he is not a CB but he is an immensely talented S. Taylor Mays was not the brightest bulb and he had major issues with stiffness. I expect Reid to become both a pro bowler and a team captain leader
I think Reid compares to Goldson, the guy who just became the highest paid safety in the league and made the all pro team. At free safety you want a guy who can cover tight ends, patrol the back end of the field in zone, and also come up and lay a big hit. Reid has all of that. Taking a guy who's issues are completely coachable, with a coaching staff that many consider top 3 in the league, I have no problems with it. Personally, I think Mays should have been developed at OLB in a 4-3. Thomas Davis was a safety in college and has had a nice career with the Panthers at OLB.
[ Edited by BillWalsh on May 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Yea you're right... Houston would have grabbed Smith and we would have gotten stuck with JJ Watt... THANK GOD FOR THAT!

You're somehow under the assumption that they would have just swapped picks? Bottomline, had they traded down, they could have been left out in the cold, without Aldon or Watts. Maybe they could have picked up Amukamanunchaku like so many on the Webzone wanted.
If Reid is to be compared to Mays it is he lays the big hit. But Reid is better coached already and is much more disciplined. Reid also plays the ball much better and is more than a 40 time i.e. Taylor Mays. The FO has their hands on more Eric Reid tape than we can imagine. They know more about this guy than we do, it's as simple as that.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I think Reid compares to Goldson, the guy who just became the highest paid safety in the league and made the all pro team. At free safety you want a guy who can cover tight ends, patrol the back end of the field in zone, and also come up and lay a big hit. Reid has all of that. Taking a guy who's issues are completely coachable, with a coaching staff that many consider top 3 in the league, I have no problems with it. Personally, I think Mays should have been developed at OLB in a 4-3. Thomas Davis was a safety in college and has had a nice career with the Panthers at OLB.

I completely agree with this and actually stated it in the Zone after Mays was drafted. He was misdiagnosed as a safety in the first place.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
If Reid is to be compared to Mays it is he lays the big hit. But Reid is better coached already and is much more disciplined. Reid also plays the ball much better and is more than a 40 time i.e. Taylor Mays. The FO has their hands on more Eric Reid tape than we can imagine. They know more about this guy than we do, it's as simple as that.

Yes....and this time, it actually is as simple as that.

Cheers!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Reid has all the tools to be a great safety and he is intelligent to boot. He has the size, the strength, the speed, and enough of the change of direction and fluidity to do anything a S needs to do. No he is not a CB but he is an immensely talented S. Taylor Mays was not the brightest bulb and he had major issues with stiffness. I expect Reid to become both a pro bowler and a team captain leader

Ok, I like the pick, I think Reid will be good for us, not like Mays, that was horrible. But come on, a team captain? Over Smith, Willis, Bowman, Whittner (if he stays), etc...

Lets just hope he has a good rookie season and go from there. We can talk about pro bowls and him vs. Lott in 5 years, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, guy hasnt seen a game yet.

So gentleman....let's review. What have we learned about Eric Reid from this thread?

1) He was hurt for half of the 2012 season and thus could not perform at his peak level...or anywhere near it...but he played anyway. Shows he is very tough and a team player.
2) He was a team captain and understandably, tried to do too much when he found himself surrounded in the secondary with extremely inexperienced underclassmen. Shows he took his responsibilities seriously.
3) He is very intelligent, fast (4.5 40 yd.), athletic (40" vertical), has long arms (a Baalke trait ), can play sideline to sideline, hits hard, and is a diligent film room guy. Shows he has all of the physical skills necessary to be a good player as well as a strong work ethic.
4) He loves the game of football and really wants to be a great player. Shows he has great intangibles that often separate great players from merely talented ones.

I may have missed a point or two... Anything else to add?

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM ]
Here's something to consider, since you didn't, Reid tried to do too much in his senior year to make up for the loss of any compentent cornerbacks. That happens in a lot of sports, when the athlete tries to force it and not let the game come to them or play within the frame. He will be told so w/ the niners and as a rookie with this team, he will try to do what he is told, if he was a vet on a team that say like next year had no cb returning he might overstretch himself. However that is the situation. Just remember he is a rookie, he will make mistakes, but by the end of the year, he will have grown up and be more than capable.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Here's something to consider, since you didn't. Reid tried to do too much in his senior year to make up for the loss of any compentent cornerbacks. That happens in a lot of sports, when the athlete tries to force it and not let the game come to them or play within the frame. He will be told so w/ the niners and as a rookie with this team, he will try to do what he is told, if he was a vet on a team that say like next year had no cb returning he might overstretch himself. However that is the situation. Just remember he is a rookie, he will make mistakes, but by the end of the year, he will have grown up and be more than capable.

I did...

From post above...

1) He was hurt for half of the 2012 season and thus could not perform at his peak level...or anywhere near it...but he played anyway. Shows he is very tough and a team player.

2) He was a team captain and understandably, tried to do too much when he found himself surrounded in the secondary with extremely inexperienced underclassmen. Shows he took his responsibilities seriously.

Cheers!
There is only one Taylor Mays...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
There is only one Taylor Mays...

Share 49ersWebzone