There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Concerns with Eric Reid

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by schexyoung:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great inside stuff...so a "tough" leader who won't let his team down.

So do you project him to be an eventual SS or FS long-term for us?

I'm not sure. I've heard Vic Fangio on occasion mention that the two safety positions are supposed to be interchangeable.

For those that have been paying attention to our 9ers secondary, they pretty much are. I've seen Goldson line up at both SS and FS, but not to start the game, also saw Whitner and Goldson both play Rov. I would have loved it if the 9ers drafted another Safety with range and maybe push Reid to SS, it wouldn't hurt to have two safeties with range.

This is true...except in the RZ. This is where Goldson/Whitner tends to play straight up. Which is one of the reasons for the mismatch.

I probably should have clarified better...do you see Reid's skill set better suited for a more traditional SS role or does he possess the FS recognition, speed and range to help our CB's out over-the-top especially along the sidelines. We really struggled there. And another ares is in the back end...starting Goldson sometimes as deep as 30 yards so as to not get beat deep and keep everything in front of him. Is he a FS where we can keep him closer to the box?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BigBug415:
To be honest I'm more concerned with Donte Whitner.

This...BIG TIME! Huge issue...

I also agree. What's done is done.. but I'd have traded off Whitner for a 4th/5th.. moved Culliver to FS to battle Trent Robinson, and drafted a CB and SS early on.

... but I like Eric Reid... and think he can develop into a Goldson quickly.. just not liking our starting SS in coverage right now. Had we moved Culliver to FS, then having his experience plus an Eric Reid at SS makes for better coverage at the back end... but as is?

Like in the videos, maybe they brought Reid in b/c they know he can at least chase down and cover up the mistakes of Whitner. LOL

Whitner is evidently very intelligent and can set the defensive backfield better than any other at this time. It seems Reid will assume this role over the next couple of years.
Harbaugh wanted this kid to go to Stanford. He got his hands on him in the nfl. I trust in harbaugh.
Reid was my favorite S IMO given a few yrs he'll be better then goldson...
Originally posted by NCommand:

I probably should have clarified better...do you see Reid's skill set better suited for a more traditional SS role or does he possess the FS recognition, speed and range to help our CB's out over-the-top especially along the sidelines.


He has the range and ball skills to go sideline to sideline, so I see FS being the position that would max out his full potential.
Thanks for the excellent input schexyoung! Real eye-opener.
Goldson wasn´t a beast right away. Remember he started to produce really in the last two years. He was on the bench for a couple of years.
We had the best tackling team last year meaning we had some of the best coaching and players wouldn't mind helping a teammate such as Eric Reid. Harbaugh wanted this guy 4 years ago and finally got his man.
Originally posted by schexyoung:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I probably should have clarified better...do you see Reid's skill set better suited for a more traditional SS role or does he possess the FS recognition, speed and range to help our CB's out over-the-top especially along the sidelines.


He has the range and ball skills to go sideline to sideline, so I see FS being the position that would max out his full potential.

Excellent. And again, thank you!
Originally posted by schexyoung:
First post here, lurker for 10+ years.

I am an LSU alumni and have watched Reid grow through out his time at LSU. What I can tell you is that the 2011 Reid is what you will be getting. LSU had TWO freshmen CBs starting during the 2012 season. Please read that again. In addition, the nickel back was only a sophomore and the starting SS (loston) was in his first year as a starter.

Eric Reid was not allowed to be proactive/aggressive, but rather was required to play a reactionary/clean-up role due to the unprecedented youth of the secondary.

I'm usually pretty adept at removing the homer glasses and identifying LSU players who will/won't make good pros. Eric Reid without a doubt has elite physical tools, the maturity, the drive, and smarts to be Pro Bowl level Safety.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, as I have been following Reid since his high school days.
So your evaluation of Reid is based on first hand observation? You've actually seen him, live, at games, and aren't just relying on someone else's review of some snippets of utube tape?

Good to know, and thanks for taking the time to let us all share on your info.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by schexyoung:
First post here, lurker for 10+ years.

I am an LSU alumni and have watched Reid grow through out his time at LSU. What I can tell you is that the 2011 Reid is what you will be getting. LSU had TWO freshmen CBs starting during the 2012 season. Please read that again. In addition, the nickel back was only a sophomore and the starting SS (loston) was in his first year as a starter.

Eric Reid was not allowed to be proactive/aggressive, but rather was required to play a reactionary/clean-up role due to the unprecedented youth of the secondary.

I'm usually pretty adept at removing the homer glasses and identifying LSU players who will/won't make good pros. Eric Reid without a doubt has elite physical tools, the maturity, the drive, and smarts to be Pro Bowl level Safety.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, as I have been following Reid since his high school days.
So your evaluation of Reid is based on first hand observation? You've actually seen him, live, at games, and aren't just relying on someone else's review of some snippets of utube tape?

Good to know, and thanks for taking the time to let us all share on your info.

youtube footage
Gosh, Im so happy we took Eric Reid. I believe Vaccarro is soft, small and not durable. As a matter of fact the whole texas secondary is soft.
Originally posted by susweel:
youtube footage
lol. Why, yes, it is actually more than a foot.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by susweel:
youtube footage
lol. Why, yes, it is actually more than a foot.


webzone arm chair GMs >>>>> Baalke
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Will I wasn't around 2 yrs but I do remember what I read about it all so whatever ...

Aldon was mocked anywhere from between pick's 5-12, Houston absolutely loved him, there's absolutely not a snowball's chance in hell the 49ers could have traded down 4 or 5 spots and still gotten him.

Yea you're right... Houston would have grabbed Smith and we would have gotten stuck with JJ Watt... THANK GOD FOR THAT!