There are 178 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Concerns with Eric Reid

Originally posted by schexyoung:
First post here, lurker for 10+ years.

I am an LSU alumni and have watched Reid grow through out his time at LSU. What I can tell you is that the 2011 Reid is what you will be getting. LSU had TWO freshmen CBs starting during the 2012 season. Please read that again. In addition, the nickel back was only a sophomore and the starting SS (loston) was in his first year as a starter.

Eric Reid was not allowed to be proactive/aggressive, but rather was required to play a reactionary/clean-up role due to the unprecedented youth of the secondary.

I'm usually pretty adept at removing the homer glasses and identifying LSU players who will/won't make good pros. Eric Reid without a doubt has elite physical tools, the maturity, the drive, and smarts to be Pro Bowl level Safety.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, as I have been following Reid since his high school days.

Thanks for your input, and welcome to the zone.
I think Reid will be fine...he's big, strong, fast and very intelligent. He's one of Harbaugh's guys...and will get the best coaching Donatell can give, which is outstanding. He'll also get plenty of support from Whitner.
To be honest I'm more concerned with Donte Whitner.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

I am an LSU alumni and have watched Reid grow through out his time at LSU. What I can tell you is that the 2011 Reid is what you will be getting. LSU had TWO freshmen CBs starting during the 2012 season. Please read that again. In addition, the nickel back was only a sophomore and the starting SS (loston) was in his first year as a starter.

Eric Reid was not allowed to be proactive/aggressive, but rather was required to play a reactionary/clean-up role due to the unprecedented youth of the secondary.

I'm usually pretty adept at removing the homer glasses and identifying LSU players who will/won't make good pros. Eric Reid without a doubt has elite physical tools, the maturity, the drive, and smarts to be Pro Bowl level Safety.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, as I have been following Reid since his high school days.

Thanks for your input, and welcome to the zone.

Great to hear. I'm not sure if I've heard it from that angle yet. It's almost as if his skills were handcuffed and compromised.
Originally posted by olapac:
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way becaue I really don't mean any disrespect. But I find all the comparisons on these boards of Reid to Mays to be a bit lazy. I understand we got burned by him before, but I feel people are only making this comparison because they both play safety and some board members preferred we stayed at 31, kept our draft pick and taken someone else. Reid and Mays are different players, have different abilities, and in my opinion, different weaknesses.

Now, this is not to say that Eric Reid will succeed. I hope he does, but it is possible he could flame out in a few years - that happens sometimes. But I believe if he does flameout, it will not be because he's too stiff in the hips like Mays - it will be for other reasons.

Finally, my main reason for not believing in the Reid - Mays comparisons is this: Baalke drafted Mays. He saw him play for a year. He didn't like what he saw and moved him. Then two years later, he looks for Goldson's replacement. Do you think he would draft someone that was similar in skills and abilities to a guy he traded 2 years back? I'm just not buying it.
From what I've heard lazy comparisons has happened quite a bit on the webzone in the past. Most noticeably I heard Anthony Davis was compared to Kmawe Harris after his rookie season.
Do you honestly think Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke would draft another Taylor Mays?

How many more fantastic drafts are they going to have before people stop doubting their picks??
Originally posted by BigBug415:

This...BIG TIME! Huge issue...

Fantastic...always appreciate an inside scoop. What can you tell us about his game...breakdown and then cover his intangibles, if you don't mind.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fantastic...always appreciate an inside scoop. What can you tell us about his game...breakdown and then cover his intangibles, if you don't mind.

I can tell you that he played the final seven games of 2012 (missed the SEC champ game against UGA in 2011) with a severe sternum injury (LSU due to player privacy couldn't disclose whether it was fractured or just deeply bruised). The injury was extremely painful, however Reid did not stop hitting hard even when is caused him to come out for a few plays and wither in pain on the sidelines.

Breakdown
- Smart is the first thing that comes to mind. Very devoted to his film study and was able to put himself in the correct position.
- He has the agility and size to cover TEs and larger backs in man pass coverage. I would not match him on a WR, he hips aren't fluid enough to keep up.
- He hits hard, real hard, but he was very good at avoiding personal flags during college unlike Matt Elam.
- LSU rarely utilized him as a blitzing safety, but he was granted the ability to roam in the box and over the top based on the coverage. This is when he played his best (2011).
[ Edited by schexyoung on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM ]

I can tell you that he played the final seven games of 2012 (missed the SEC champ game against UGA) with a severe sternum injury (LSU due to player privacy couldn't disclose whether it was fractured or just deeply bruised). The injury was extremely painful, however Reid did not stop hitting hard even when is caused him to come out for a few plays and wither in pain on the sidelines.

Breakdown
- Smart is the first thing that comes to mind. Very devoted to his film study and was able to put himself in the correct position.
- He has the agility and size to cover TEs and larger backs in man pass coverage. I would not match him on a WR, he hips aren't fluid enough to keep up.
- He hits hard, real hard, but he was very good at avoiding personal flags during college unlike Matt Elam.
- LSU rarely utilized him as a blitzing safety, but he was granted the ability to roam in the box and over the top based on the coverage. This is when he played his best (2011).

Great inside stuff...so a "tough" leader who won't let his team down.

So do you project him to be an eventual SS or FS long-term for us?

I'm not sure. I've heard Vic Fangio on occasion mention that the two safety positions are supposed to be interchangeable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Nice to meet you Coach Miles.

Kidding aside, thanks for the analysis, seems you truly are a LSU follower.

I'm also hoping Reid will be who we all hope and (secretly) expect him to be **cough** **The next Ronnie Lott** **cough**. I can't remember when the 9ers have ever drafted a Safety in the 1st round, except Lott but he was a CB first.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I'm not sure. I've heard Vic Fangio on occasion mention that the two safety positions are supposed to be interchangeable.

For those that have been paying attention to our 9ers secondary, they pretty much are. I've seen Goldson line up at both SS and FS, but not to start the game, also saw Whitner and Goldson both play Rov. I would have loved it if the 9ers drafted another Safety with range and maybe push Reid to SS, it wouldn't hurt to have two safeties with range.

I also agree. What's done is done.. but I'd have traded off Whitner for a 4th/5th.. moved Culliver to FS to battle Trent Robinson, and drafted a CB and SS early on.

... but I like Eric Reid... and think he can develop into a Goldson quickly.. just not liking our starting SS in coverage right now. Had we moved Culliver to FS, then having his experience plus an Eric Reid at SS makes for better coverage at the back end... but as is?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I also agree. What's done is done.. but I'd have traded off Whitner for a 4th/5th.. moved Culliver to FS to battle Trent Robinson, and drafted a CB and SS early on.

... but I like Eric Reid... and think he can develop into a Goldson quickly.. just not liking our starting SS in coverage right now. Had we moved Culliver to FS, then having his experience plus an Eric Reid at SS makes for better coverage at the back end... but as is?

Like in the videos, maybe they brought Reid in b/c they know he can at least chase down and cover up the mistakes of Whitner. LOL