There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

Originally posted by buck:
Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

Mays was 2nd round pick and viewed as a top ten pick the year before.

He was barely traded for a seventh rounder.

His overall performance, based on where he was taken in the draft, deserves an F. He is still on his rookie contract, which is likely why he is still around (mainly for special teams purposes)
[ Edited by ads_2006 on May 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
2010 2nd rounders..... Mostly average players. Missing on 2nd rounder just not that big of a deal.


2 33 St. Louis Rams Rodger Saffold OT Indiana Big Ten
2 34 Minnesota Vikings Chris Cook CB Virginia ACC from Detroit[R2 - 1]
2 35 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Price DT UCLA Pac-10
2 36 Kansas City Chiefs Dexter McCluster RB Ole Miss SEC
2 37 Philadelphia Eagles Nate Allen S South Florida Big East from Washington [R2 - 2]
2 38 Cleveland Browns T. J. Ward S Oregon Pac-10
2 39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Arrelious Benn WR Illinois Big Ten from Oakland [R2 - 3]
2 40 Miami Dolphins Koa Misi DE Utah MWC from Seattle via San Diego[R2 - 4]
2 41 Buffalo Bills Torell Troup DT UCF C-USA
2 42 New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski† TE Arizona Pac-10 from Chicago via Tampa Bay and Oakland[R2 - 5]
2 43 Baltimore Ravens Sergio Kindle DE Texas Big 12 from Miami via Denver[R2 - 6]
2 44 Oakland Raiders Lamarr Houston DT Texas Big 12 from Jacksonville via New England[R2 - 7]
2 45 Denver Broncos Zane Beadles† OT Utah MWC
2 46 New York Giants Linval Joseph DT East Carolina C-USA
2 47 Arizona Cardinals Daryl Washington† LB TCU MWC from Tennessee via New England[R2 - 8]
2 48 Carolina Panthers Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame Ind.
2 49 San Francisco 49ers Taylor Mays S USC Pac-10
2 50 Kansas City Chiefs Javier Arenas CB Alabama SEC from Atlanta [R2 - 9]
2 51 Minnesota Vikings Toby Gerhart RB Stanford Pac-10 from Houston [R2 - 10]
2 52 Pittsburgh Steelers Jason Worilds DE Virginia Tech ACC
2 53 New England Patriots Jermaine Cunningham DE Florida SEC
2 54 Cincinnati Bengals Carlos Dunlap DE Florida SEC
2 55 Dallas Cowboys Sean Lee LB Penn State Big Ten from Philadelphia [R2 - 11]
2 56 Green Bay Packers Mike Neal DT Purdue Big Ten
2 57 Baltimore Ravens Terrence Cody DT Alabama SEC
2 58 Houston Texans Ben Tate RB Auburn SEC from Arizona via New England[R2 - 12]
2 59 Cleveland Browns Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee SEC from Dallas via Philadelphia[R2 - 13]
2 60 Seattle Seahawks Golden Tate WR Notre Dame Ind. from San Diego[R2 - 14]
2 61 New York Jets Vladimir Ducasse OT Massachusetts CAA
2 62 New England Patriots Brandon Spikes LB Florida SEC from Minnesota via Houston[R2 - 15]
2 63 Indianapolis Colts Pat Angerer LB Iowa Big Ten
2 64 New Orleans Saints Charles Brown OT USC Pac-10
3 65 St. Louis Rams Jerome Murphy CB South Florida Big East
Solid blue collar draft. The right and left sides of the OL are set for years. How good can Bowman be?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php 7 round mock. Pretty interesting to look back on it now.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM ]


Because this is relevant,

Jerry "Derp" Jones had Anthony Davis as a Third Rounder

Had Bowman as a First Rounder

He was 1/2

He did have Mays as a 2nd

Baalke got a Jerry Jones "1st rounder" in the 3rd

And 2 1st rounders in the 1st round

http://thedctimes.com/tag/dallas-cowboys-draft-board/

I'd say it's an MOFing A plus
[ Edited by wysiwyg on May 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis = A
1. Mike Iupati = A+
2. Taylor Mays = F
3. Navorro Bowman = A+
6. Anthony Dixon = B
6. Nate Byham = F
6. Kyle Williams = C
7. Phillip Adams = D

I'd definitely say this was a solid draft. Shored up our Oline, got another great ILB and depth at RB & WR.

Was good draft considering we will likely have 3 players on this team for the next 4 years.

Finding Willis' brother from another mother in Bowman and not spending a 1st round pick to get him is pretty impressive. Anthony Davis and Iupati are both worth their picks. Anthony Dixon is a great locker room guy and helps on special teams. Kyle Williams will be a great #2 receiver when he is given the opportunity He started to pick up his game before he got injured and after Kaep was handed the reins. Sadly I believe we are too stacked at WR and he will struggle to stay on this team in the next couple of years. I also believe the Byham grade is a little harsh.

I think Bowman alone makes this an A and offsets the Mays pick. Iupati, Davis, Dixon, and Williams bump it up to an A+ with room to spare if your not as happy about Bowman as I am. Not only did we get an All-Pro out of the third round, we got a duo at MLB that could be legendary. Willis and Bowman are better together.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,339
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by buck:
Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

Mays was 2nd round pick and viewed as a top ten pick the year before.

He was barely traded for a seventh rounder.

His overall performance, based on where he was taken in the draft, deserves an F. He is still on his rookie contract, which is likely why he is still around (mainly for special teams purposes)

What round he was picked in makes a difference. It makes no difference if he was viewed as a top 10 pick the year before.

Mays is primarily a back-up safety.

In 2011, Mays played 61 defensive snaps in the regular season. He did not take any snaps if the play-offs.

He played 255 defensive snaps in 2012 in the regular season and in the play-offs.
Mays started in three games at Free Safety.

He has played in 26 of 32 regular season games for the Bengals.
He played in one play-off game in 2012.

Just not sure, he should be given an F.


Just go back through those legendary Bill Walsh drafts and find me one where every player clicked into place and performed.

It just doesn't happen. The draft remains a lottery. 49ers 2010 was a superb draft and one which will be viewed as one of the great drafts.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by jreff22:
B-

3 pro-bowlers including 2 all-pros and 2 solid contributors? Tough crowd.

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year
It is not a given that drafting high will net you pro-bowlers. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as draft busts and the same teams wouldn't be consistently drafting in the top 10.
you run a much higher % in getting a pro bowl player in the first than you do in the 6th
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
so if team A takes a QB #1 overall and he becomes a David Carr.....life time backup, what would be acceptable? For being taken that high, to never even becoming close to what you were projected is a failure.

What would you consider the Balmer pick?
Originally posted by Nuns:
A draft with 3 Hall of famers may be the best draft of all time. If that doesn't net you an A then your system is severely flawed. The draft that sets the curve shouldn't get a B.

I can remember Sapp and Brooks going in the same draft and making the Hall, and that's about it.

The HOF question was loaded because it is looked at from a distance. One year 1 guy could be a HOF, 6 years later two more could be. While I think the grading would need to be shifted for that kind of question I'm not about to work a formula for it.
wow, you are pretty insane jreff. while i get your very hard grading system it poorly accounts for WAY too many things. also, does your college not ever curve things? i went to an ivy league university and on more than a few occasions an A was a 70% b/c the tests were insanely difficult--the average on the test was in the 30s and most of the people in the class were pretty damn smart.

in your joke of a rating system you some how value late round picks on the same footing as early round picks.

things should be scaled to not relatively value of your success much like classes have different credits. hitting big in the 1st vs hitting big in the 7th typically means a much higher upside player.

and some of your comments that 9er fans would say that all of our drafts are good b/c we got contributors is ridiculous. first of all, most would agree that our 2012 draft is still pretty poor, our 2008 draft was pretty much an F. but we've had some of the best drafts in the league. fine if you for some reason or another want to grade some of our picks an F, so be it, but even so if you hit huge in the NFL or anything that isn't school--they far outweigh a couple of minor misses in the mid to late rounds. while i think judging drafts more harshly makes sense, your system basically makes it so a ridiculous draft is a B- or B, and a once in a million year draft is an A. does that really make that much sense? i guess if that floats your boat it does. while i agree that most nfl graders are too easy at grading drafts and regularly giving out As when drafts are clearly not As. But our 2010 draft was a A in almost any book you can find. it's one of the best drafts in the league in the last 10 years and ignoring that to fit into your silly system is just being silly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,339
, Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
so if team A takes a QB #1 overall and he becomes a David Carr.....life time backup, what would be acceptable? For being taken that high, to never even becoming close to what you were projected is a failure.

What would you consider the Balmer pick?

A lifetime back quarterback taken #1 overall. Good question. I did not follow his career.

Carr has a lifetime passer rating of 74.9 and 59.7% completion rate, started in 79 games, had 65 touchdowns and 71 picks.

Clearly, not a good grade. Not an F, a D-

Balmer was not even as serviceable as Carr, plus if I remember correctly he went AWOL from both the Seahawks and the Redskins.

He poor play and lack of responsibility would get him a F.

So, I do guess an exceptional FU can get a F even though he played for three years.
I will have to adjust my thinking on the three years.

But, at this point, I would give Taylor Mays a D, not an F.

You do understand that an A does not mean perfection, right.


.

Could you imagine if instead of Taylor Mays the 49ers had taken:


-Morgan Burnett

-Eric Decker

-Jimmy Graham



Oh lawd.
Originally posted by buck:
A lifetime back quarterback taken #1 overall. Good question. I did not follow his career.

Carr has a lifetime passer rating of 74.9 and 59.7% completion rate, started in 79 games, had 65 touchdowns and 71 picks.

Clearly, not a good grade. Not an F, a D-

Balmer was not even as serviceable as Carr, plus if I remember correctly he went AWOL from both the Seahawks and the Redskins.

He poor play and lack of responsibility would get him a F.

So, I do guess an exceptional FU can get a F even though he played for three years.
I will have to adjust my thinking on the three years.

But, at this point, I would give Taylor Mays a D, not an F.

You do understand that an A does not mean perfection, right.


.
An A means to me, the specific pick was perfect and the player is a homerun....Willis, Gore, Miller etc etc. I have no problem handing out A's to players and do it a lot, but when you look at the whole class its hard to get an A without being damn near perfect. Many on here would give a class that got 2 probowlers and 5 F players and A, and than give a class with 2 probowlers and 5 B players and A.....all because of the 2 probowlers. A draft class is made up of more than just the 2 best guys and people seem to be forgetting that.
...