LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

wow, you are pretty insane jreff. while i get your very hard grading system it poorly accounts for WAY too many things. also, does your college not ever curve things? i went to an ivy league university and on more than a few occasions an A was a 70% b/c the tests were insanely difficult--the average on the test was in the 30s and most of the people in the class were pretty damn smart.

in your joke of a rating system you some how value late round picks on the same footing as early round picks.

things should be scaled to not relatively value of your success much like classes have different credits. hitting big in the 1st vs hitting big in the 7th typically means a much higher upside player.

and some of your comments that 9er fans would say that all of our drafts are good b/c we got contributors is ridiculous. first of all, most would agree that our 2012 draft is still pretty poor, our 2008 draft was pretty much an F. but we've had some of the best drafts in the league. fine if you for some reason or another want to grade some of our picks an F, so be it, but even so if you hit huge in the NFL or anything that isn't school--they far outweigh a couple of minor misses in the mid to late rounds. while i think judging drafts more harshly makes sense, your system basically makes it so a ridiculous draft is a B- or B, and a once in a million year draft is an A. does that really make that much sense? i guess if that floats your boat it does. while i agree that most nfl graders are too easy at grading drafts and regularly giving out As when drafts are clearly not As. But our 2010 draft was a A in almost any book you can find. it's one of the best drafts in the league in the last 10 years and ignoring that to fit into your silly system is just being silly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
, Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
so if team A takes a QB #1 overall and he becomes a David Carr.....life time backup, what would be acceptable? For being taken that high, to never even becoming close to what you were projected is a failure.

What would you consider the Balmer pick?

A lifetime back quarterback taken #1 overall. Good question. I did not follow his career.

Carr has a lifetime passer rating of 74.9 and 59.7% completion rate, started in 79 games, had 65 touchdowns and 71 picks.

Clearly, not a good grade. Not an F, a D-

Balmer was not even as serviceable as Carr, plus if I remember correctly he went AWOL from both the Seahawks and the Redskins.

He poor play and lack of responsibility would get him a F.

So, I do guess an exceptional FU can get a F even though he played for three years.
I will have to adjust my thinking on the three years.

But, at this point, I would give Taylor Mays a D, not an F.

You do understand that an A does not mean perfection, right.

Could you imagine if instead of Taylor Mays the 49ers had taken:

-Morgan Burnett

-Eric Decker

-Jimmy Graham

Oh lawd.
A lifetime back quarterback taken #1 overall. Good question. I did not follow his career.

Carr has a lifetime passer rating of 74.9 and 59.7% completion rate, started in 79 games, had 65 touchdowns and 71 picks.

Clearly, not a good grade. Not an F, a D-

Balmer was not even as serviceable as Carr, plus if I remember correctly he went AWOL from both the Seahawks and the Redskins.

He poor play and lack of responsibility would get him a F.

So, I do guess an exceptional FU can get a F even though he played for three years.
I will have to adjust my thinking on the three years.

But, at this point, I would give Taylor Mays a D, not an F.

You do understand that an A does not mean perfection, right.

An A means to me, the specific pick was perfect and the player is a homerun....Willis, Gore, Miller etc etc. I have no problem handing out A's to players and do it a lot, but when you look at the whole class its hard to get an A without being damn near perfect. Many on here would give a class that got 2 probowlers and 5 F players and A, and than give a class with 2 probowlers and 5 B players and A.....all because of the 2 probowlers. A draft class is made up of more than just the 2 best guys and people seem to be forgetting that.
Originally posted by capone0:
wow, you are pretty insane jreff. while i get your very hard grading system it poorly accounts for WAY too many things. also, does your college not ever curve things? i went to an ivy league university and on more than a few occasions an A was a 70% b/c the tests were insanely difficult--the average on the test was in the 30s and most of the people in the class were pretty damn smart.

in your joke of a rating system you some how value late round picks on the same footing as early round picks.

things should be scaled to not relatively value of your success much like classes have different credits. hitting big in the 1st vs hitting big in the 7th typically means a much higher upside player.

and some of your comments that 9er fans would say that all of our drafts are good b/c we got contributors is ridiculous. first of all, most would agree that our 2012 draft is still pretty poor, our 2008 draft was pretty much an F. but we've had some of the best drafts in the league. fine if you for some reason or another want to grade some of our picks an F, so be it, but even so if you hit huge in the NFL or anything that isn't school--they far outweigh a couple of minor misses in the mid to late rounds. while i think judging drafts more harshly makes sense, your system basically makes it so a ridiculous draft is a B- or B, and a once in a million year draft is an A. does that really make that much sense? i guess if that floats your boat it does. while i agree that most nfl graders are too easy at grading drafts and regularly giving out As when drafts are clearly not As. But our 2010 draft was a A in almost any book you can find. it's one of the best drafts in the league in the last 10 years and ignoring that to fit into your silly system is just being silly.
Yes I put a curve into place and posted it. That's why I argue that having a numerical grade and a letter grade are important. Looking at 20 drafts and seeing 7 A's doesn't show the separation between them. By having a numerical grade you can show which was best out of the A's.

I have said that late round picks get an easier grade for failing, C- while a 2nd round pick like Mays got an F, higher value pick.

Go back and look at our drafts from say 8 years to now. We have done very well if we are going to say well 2 players make or break it. While I agree that getting an A is hard in the system, it can be done.

Going back to the curve...

To really do this one would have to grade the entire draft for every team 3 years down the line. I'm not going to do that because I dont care about other teams. But if that was done the proper curve could be put into place (which again I did on page 8 I think) and we could see an A. But as you know, you need all the grades to properly implement a curve and we dont have those.
  • buck
  • Veteran
An A means to me, the specific pick was perfect and the player is a homerun....Willis, Gore, Miller etc etc. I have no problem handing out A's to players and do it a lot, but when you look at the whole class its hard to get an A without being damn near perfect. Many on here would give a class that got 2 probowlers and 5 F players and A, and than give a class with 2 probowlers and 5 B players and A.....all because of the 2 probowlers. A draft class is made up of more than just the 2 best guys and people seem to be forgetting that.

Your tone seem to have changed. Earlier you lambasted a fellow poster saying, "What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school?"

Where I went to school A did not mean perfect, and I seriously doubt A means perfect in many schools or workplaces in the country.

Be real. According to your challenge to that poster, the only people who deserve a A are those who get 100% on every test and A on every essay.

That idea is flat out idiotic, and I can not imagine you really attended a school that only gave an A for perfection, or near perfection for that matter.

Now, you did back down, both your in original statement, and in your most recent post to include near perfect. But, given the intensity of your, attack that slight change seemed less than sincere, and more of an intent, perhaps subconsciously, to create the wiggle room needed to cover your behind against criticism.

But, as you have developed your own system for grading the draft you are fully entitled to only give an A to the perfect or near perfect. You also have every right to defend the grades that you give.

But, others also have the choice to grade the draft in the manner that they see fit.

I gave the draft a 3.4 on a scale of 4. A 3.4 in my experience would, depending on the teacher. range from a B+ to A. Given the fact, that every player drafted, including Taylor Mays, whom I gave a D, is still playing in the league (and that is a lot of good picks in 6th and 7th round), I have chosen to give the 2010 draft an overall A.

What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or ear perfect.
[ Edited by buck on May 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM ]

Your tone seem to have changed. Earlier you lambasted a fellow poster saying, "What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school?"

Where I went to school A did not mean perfect, and I seriously doubt A means perfect in many schools or workplaces in the country.

Be real. According to your challenge to that poster, the only people who deserve a A are those who get 100% on every test and A on every essay.

That idea is flat out idiotic, and I can not imagine you really attended a school that only gave an A for perfection, or near perfection for that matter.

Now, you did back down, both your in original statement, and in your most recent post to include near perfect. But, given the intensity of your, attack that slight change seemed less than sincere, and more of an intent, perhaps subconsciously, to create the wiggle room needed to cover your behind against criticism.

But, as you have developed your own system for grading the draft you are fully entitled to only give an A to the perfect or near perfect. You also have every right to defend the grades that you give.

But, others also have the choice to grade the draft in the manner that they see fit.

I gave the draft a 3.4 on a scale of 4. A 3.4 in my experience would, depending on the teacher. range from a B+ to A. Given the fact, that every player drafted, including Taylor Mays, whom I gave a D, is still playing in the league (and that is a lot of good picks in 6th and 7th round), I have chosen to give the 2010 draft an overall A.

What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or ear perfect.
An A is the best you can get without using the A+ system which will make things more complicated and in reality is an honor based system which shouldn't apply after 3 years. The lowest a professor has ever graded an A- for me would be an 89 (I think and thats a final grade). Granted not perfection but its close. A 95 isn't perfect but its the highest echelon for instance in a letter system (minimum for an A). When I made this system I dropped the 100% limit to a 90% making it easier to get an A, and where the cutoff usually is.

Let me ask, if a 4.0 is not perfect what it? Straight A's is the best anybody can normally acquire. I wouldn't consider my 3.4 GPA perfect, I would consider a 4.0 perfect. And near perfection would be an A-. If posters are going to use a +/- system an A- would be close to perfect but not the best. But people arent adding up the actual numerical value of an A- or a C+ for instnace, they are eyeballing thier grades and throwing out a final grade....thats not accurate.

The problem I have with people grading a draft is how they come to a final grade. If you hand out 2 A's and a bunch of C's how is a final grade an A....it makes no logical sense. Sure we can say the 2 top picks make up for the short comings but what if the 2 A's were 7th rounders and the top picks were F's...does it still get an A because we have 2 probowlers? Under that logic our offensive from years past should get an A in skill positions becasue Vernon and Gore were probowlers....and we can just ignore all the other positions and players.

I get what I say isn't popular but I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. Getting people to discuss the merits of a class and how to better define and grade it was the purpose.

I gave the draft a 3.4 on a scale of 4. A 3.4 in my experience would, depending on the teacher. range from a B+ to A.

For me that would be a B+/A-

Now if you say anything less than an A you are apparently devoid of logic or NFL intelligence because its not an automatic A. If the grade or your grade is a B+, its a B+....white washing it with an A for a feel good statements doesn't do anything more than saying A+++++++++.

And I altered the system a tad and raised the grade to a B+/A- because there were some faults with it. Still not an A which makes people say I'm an idiot but apparently your final numbers give the same letter grade so I guess were both idiots.
I gave that draft an A 3 years ago. I loved the Bowman pick, actually wanted him to be picked earlier....and I also wanted him to be a day 1 starter replacing Spikes. I also really liked the two OL picks. And I do admit I actually liked the Mays pick.

I would still give it an A-

The problem with giving an A+ is, then what would you grade a draft that produced 3 HOFers????
best draft class EVER.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
would have been nice to see who Baalke really wanted instead of Mays.

Originally posted by susweel:

We can speculate. Probably some player that flew under the radar but is paying nice dividends for whatever team drafted him.

Although some of these players don't exactly fit the description of under the radar, based on our needs at the time, I could see us taking anyone of the following; Javier Aremas, Terrance Cody, or Golden Tate.
Originally posted by susweel:

He was pretty pissed when the Eagles took Nate Allen.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
A
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
wrong forum! mods please move to draft room?

phail

phailbutskinny
Originally posted by dhp318:
Its called an A-, I have never taken a test in HS or college that gives a full A at 90%.

I've taken classes/tests where you could get an A at 50%. You must've gone to some silly schools

Pretty well regarded Private HS and currently at UNF in two separate degree programs....if you have teachers that give you an A for getting half the questions right....dont know what to say. May I ask what school that was and what kind of class as well?

See, now it makes sense. You're a liberal arts/History guy. I studied chemical engineering - the class was Thermodynamics. So there you have it.
Share 49ersWebzone