There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
North, yes. And one of my degrees is in History....2 classes left.

Ah, another historian. Smart but stubborn, I imagine.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
LOL at people getting so technical and worked up, if it makes some of you happy OK fine its an A. But the happy fan in most of us wanna give it an A+.
man Taylor Mays was a bust
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
man Taylor Mays was a bust

You know that his is still playing in the NFL. I was not sure what had happened to him.

He is a back-up the Bengals. This will be his fourth year in the league.
I give every draft one free bust when rating. The other guys were so good that Mays should just be discarded. He could still amount to something with the Bengals, if they can find a position for him--bulk up to LB?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I give every draft one free bust when rating. The other guys were so good that Mays should just be discarded. He could still amount to something with the Bengals, if they can find a position for him--bulk up to LB?

In three years, he has played in 42 games, started 9.
He has 70 tackles (52 solo and 18 assists) and 3 passes defended.

The Bengals drafted SS Shawn Williams from Georgia in the 3rd round.

If Mays ends up being a back-up for a year or two more, can he still be considered a bust?

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis - B+
1. Mike Iupati - A
2. Taylor Mays - D
3. Navorro Bowman - A+
6. Anthony Dixon - B
6. Nate Byham - C
6. Kyle Williams - A-
7. Phillip Adams - B-

I'd definitely say this was a solid draft. Shored up our Oline, got another great ILB and depth at RB & WR.

I liked Phillip Adams... and for a 7th rounder he was pretty good.
Getting a #3 WR in the 6th is also well done

total GPA - 3.00

Yay, we made honor roll
Originally posted by buck:

If Mays ends up being a back-up for a year or two more, can he still be considered a bust?

Good question! I don't worry too much about labeling players as busts unless they self destruct as J Russell did. Even then he may make a comeback (as unlikely as that is!). Mays seems like a guy with some superb physical skills who doesn't have a position that fits those skills. But they are the type of skills many fall in love with--straight line speed, strength, etc. If I were his coach he would be doing non-stop agility drills and stretching to try and loosen up...kind of reminds me of VD when he came into the league.

But he's the Bengals problem...so don't care!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good question! I don't worry too much about labeling players as busts unless they self destruct as J Russell did. Even then he may make a comeback (as unlikely as that is!). Mays seems like a guy with some superb physical skills who doesn't have a position that fits those skills. But they are the type of skills many fall in love with--straight line speed, strength, etc. If I were his coach he would be doing non-stop agility drills and stretching to try and loosen up...kind of reminds me of VD when he came into the league.

But he's the Bengals problem...so don't care!

I do not care all that much about him, but what does concern me is how to evaluate his pick in the context of grading of our draft.

My initial reaction was just to think of him as a bust, but after some thought, I tend to think that was a subjective error on my part.

|In addition, Phillip Adams, and Nate Byham who were drafted by us in 2010 are still in the league.
I do not care all that much about him, but what does concern me is how to evaluate his pick in the context of grading of our draft.

My initial reaction was just to think of him as a bust, but after some thought, I tend to think that was a subjective error on my part.

|In addition, Phillip Adams, and Nate Byham who were drafted by us in 2010 are still in the league.

I agree with you. Any player who lasts a few year in the NFL is not a draft bust to me, but may be a disappointment. I think there are many members of the zone who allow this disappointment to color their analysis. But then, these guys are playing at such a high level that it's hard to consider them busts! The best of the best until they reach the final level.
I really wanted Dz Bryant, but not I am happy with our choices.
I give the draft an overall A grade.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
B-

3 pro-bowlers including 2 all-pros and 2 solid contributors? Tough crowd.

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year
It is not a given that drafting high will net you pro-bowlers. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as draft busts and the same teams wouldn't be consistently drafting in the top 10.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The grading-drafts-as-though-each-player-was-a-subject-on-a-child's-report-card thing is one of the most absurd things that I've read in NinerTalk or the Draft Forum in my 8 years on this board, and that is definitely saying something. Sweet black, baby Jesus.

I couldnt agree more. Absurd is exactly the right word for it and I think every single person in here sees that except for Jreff. Any grading system that could have 4 Hall of Fame players and 5 busts at the end of the draft and not considered an A+ isnt worth even discussing. ( using that as an example)

I think you may need to go re-read what was written and stop parroting LA and Amp.

OK.. Maybe I am wrong and you can help me out then. What would your grade on this be then:

Rd 1 Hall of Fame Player... Grade A
Rd 2 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 3 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 4 Total Bust - CUT Grade F
rd 5 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 6 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 7 Plays 1 year as sub Grade D

Just tell me what your draft grade would be for this hypothetical draft.
19 total score
28 max score/by 90%=25

25 max score=A
23 A-
21 B+
19 B
17 B-

or if using the 3.0 +/- system

25 A
22 A-
19 B+
16 B
13 B-

Total Grade of B or B+ for the entire draft

OK.. So... in your estimation a draft could net 3 all time Hall of Fame players and get a B grade. Thats all I needed to know.
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect. 3 out of 7 is not perfect. What you fail to realize is that any draft that has 1 Hall of fame player would be argued by people like you thats its an A. Is it, is it really an A? If 1 gets an A what does 2 or 3 get? Are we going to start making up new super grades for a class like that?

You have yet to explain any grading matrix used by logic, you are looking at this through emotion and saying (like everybody else) look look an A+. If you are going to grade the whole thing you grade the whole thing, not you favorite parts.

So by your logic Nolan was a great GM because after all he drafted probowlers and he should get A's all over the place for his drafts right? Hell Sing wanted Iupati and Davis for his fysical running game....he helped pick them out, so he can draft A+ as well. Hell Andy Lee makes the probowl...I guess the 04 draft is an A+.

We have had at least 1 probowler from most drafts going back to at least 2003. Are you going to say the majority of all our drafts have been great..worth an A? If the almighty probowl/all pro pedestal you guys use to judge an A draft is used we always get A's. Does that sound like objective analysis to you?

A draft with 3 Hall of famers may be the best draft of all time. If that doesn't net you an A then your system is severely flawed. The draft that sets the curve shouldn't get a B.

I can remember Sapp and Brooks going in the same draft and making the Hall, and that's about it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
This debate is getting comical. I wonder what exactly do people expect of players drafted in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds? To me, if you last 3 years, particularly being drafted in the 6th or 7th round, and on the same team no less, it's a good pick. This is a situation where you one can get too technical. There is no way this draft is anything less than an A. We (or some other team in the league) have gotten production from every single pick. That is not the easiest thing in the world to do. There are teams that get Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon like contributions from 3rd round picks. We are getting it from guys drafted in the 6th and 7th round. We also netted 3 All Pro and/or Pro Bowl players. It doesn't exactly happen everyday.

Amazing how our drafts completely turned around when Baalke took over. It's really remarkable. It's also the reason why I'm very hopeful that we should get at least 3 solid players out of the 2012 draft.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home