There are 217 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
It's just a saying.

I know it is a saying, but when people use it, it really sounds like they think it is true.

I have my degree in History, and hindsight can be just effing terrible.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Pretty well regarded Private HS and currently at UNF in two separate degree programs....if you have teachers that give you an A for getting half the questions right....dont know what to say. May I ask what school that was and what kind of class as well?

University of Northern/ North Florida??
Originally posted by buck:
Pretty well regarded Private HS and currently at UNF in two separate degree programs....if you have teachers that give you an A for getting half the questions right....dont know what to say. May I ask what school that was and what kind of class as well?

University of Northern/ North Florida??
North, yes. And one of my degrees is in History....2 classes left.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
It's just a saying.

I know it is a saying, but when people use it, it really sounds like they think it is true.

I have my degree in History, and hindsight can be just effing terrible.

As with most sayings, it's meant to convey a concept and not to be taken literally. The concept being, it's much easier to look back on drafts 3 years after the fact and say, "now that I know this guy is a pro-bowler, we should've picked him instead of the guy we ended up cutting/trading." In that context, it's actually quite easy (says Mr. Obvious) to use hindsight to improve draft accuracy.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
North, yes. And one of my degrees is in History....2 classes left.

Ah, another historian. Smart but stubborn, I imagine.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
LOL at people getting so technical and worked up, if it makes some of you happy OK fine its an A. But the happy fan in most of us wanna give it an A+.
man Taylor Mays was a bust
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
man Taylor Mays was a bust

You know that his is still playing in the NFL. I was not sure what had happened to him.

He is a back-up the Bengals. This will be his fourth year in the league.
I give every draft one free bust when rating. The other guys were so good that Mays should just be discarded. He could still amount to something with the Bengals, if they can find a position for him--bulk up to LB?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I give every draft one free bust when rating. The other guys were so good that Mays should just be discarded. He could still amount to something with the Bengals, if they can find a position for him--bulk up to LB?

In three years, he has played in 42 games, started 9.
He has 70 tackles (52 solo and 18 assists) and 3 passes defended.

The Bengals drafted SS Shawn Williams from Georgia in the 3rd round.

If Mays ends up being a back-up for a year or two more, can he still be considered a bust?

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis - B+
1. Mike Iupati - A
2. Taylor Mays - D
3. Navorro Bowman - A+
6. Anthony Dixon - B
6. Nate Byham - C
6. Kyle Williams - A-
7. Phillip Adams - B-

I'd definitely say this was a solid draft. Shored up our Oline, got another great ILB and depth at RB & WR.

I liked Phillip Adams... and for a 7th rounder he was pretty good.
Getting a #3 WR in the 6th is also well done

total GPA - 3.00

Yay, we made honor roll

If Mays ends up being a back-up for a year or two more, can he still be considered a bust?

Good question! I don't worry too much about labeling players as busts unless they self destruct as J Russell did. Even then he may make a comeback (as unlikely as that is!). Mays seems like a guy with some superb physical skills who doesn't have a position that fits those skills. But they are the type of skills many fall in love with--straight line speed, strength, etc. If I were his coach he would be doing non-stop agility drills and stretching to try and loosen up...kind of reminds me of VD when he came into the league.

But he's the Bengals problem...so don't care!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good question! I don't worry too much about labeling players as busts unless they self destruct as J Russell did. Even then he may make a comeback (as unlikely as that is!). Mays seems like a guy with some superb physical skills who doesn't have a position that fits those skills. But they are the type of skills many fall in love with--straight line speed, strength, etc. If I were his coach he would be doing non-stop agility drills and stretching to try and loosen up...kind of reminds me of VD when he came into the league.

But he's the Bengals problem...so don't care!

I do not care all that much about him, but what does concern me is how to evaluate his pick in the context of grading of our draft.

My initial reaction was just to think of him as a bust, but after some thought, I tend to think that was a subjective error on my part.

|In addition, Phillip Adams, and Nate Byham who were drafted by us in 2010 are still in the league.
I do not care all that much about him, but what does concern me is how to evaluate his pick in the context of grading of our draft.

My initial reaction was just to think of him as a bust, but after some thought, I tend to think that was a subjective error on my part.

|In addition, Phillip Adams, and Nate Byham who were drafted by us in 2010 are still in the league.

I agree with you. Any player who lasts a few year in the NFL is not a draft bust to me, but may be a disappointment. I think there are many members of the zone who allow this disappointment to color their analysis. But then, these guys are playing at such a high level that it's hard to consider them busts! The best of the best until they reach the final level.
I really wanted Dz Bryant, but not I am happy with our choices.
I give the draft an overall A grade.
Share 49ersWebzone