LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

^^^
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDog,

On the Reid pick. In 3 years, when they do the re-draft, do you think Reid will be one of the top 18 players from this draft?

No. I think he will not be considered first round value.

YESSSSSSSSSS

That means he's gonna be the best safety of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahaha! I second that!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
sorry MadDog but I trust Baalke's judgement alot more than yours bro. Reid will be a stud and Cinn was a strong possibility of them taking him 3 picks later. But i can understand your reasoning.

It was not just the Bengals, but the Rams were waiting also, they ended up trading out. Of course you won't know that because no team will admit they wanted that guy unless in the future they get him and admit that. Also, Behind them was the Ravens, who could have jumped the niners. There is also the fact that few people, MadDog included, doesn't take into account the style and scheme that a team plays and whether that player is a fit, only the value as a player.

That Reid played in a big program and is smart, not to mention the measurables like 40.5 vertical, 4.49-4.51 40 and is 6-1 + and 219. (which is what everyone including the niners wanted to match against the bigger wr and te in the league.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by LottofRice49:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Time and time again you waste your time writing nonsense. I'm glad you're not our GM cause you would run us right into the ground straight into hell. Bottom line, you don't know S#%T!

That will cost you. Write something like that again and it will be your last day on the board. PM me if you dont understand.

Is this the Stanford Experiment all over again? Give nobody's some sense of power and they think they can do anything they want. Well if this is the last one ill make it count. I'll tell you as well you don't know s**t either. f**k you and the other jack ass that knows more about jack and s**t MadDog.

Agreed.

LOL. Comes back to agree with himself. Get a life, dude.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Time and time again you waste your time writing nonsense. I'm glad you're not our GM cause you would run us right into the ground straight into hell. Bottom line, you don't know S#%T!

That will cost you. Write something like that again and it will be your last day on the board. PM me if you dont understand.

Is this the Stanford Experiment all over again? Give nobody's some sense of power and they think they can do anything they want. Well if this is the last one ill make it count. I'll tell you as well you don't know s**t either. f**k you and the other jack ass that knows more about jack and s**t MadDog.

Agreed.

LOL. Comes back to agree with himself. Get a life, dude.

agree with himself? I think you have me mistaken. I don't know who that person is but I have been watching the forum for sometime and I just agreed with what he said givin what I have seen looking at the forums. I don't agree with the language and vulgarity but I do agree with the gist of the statement.

By the way, I joined today to finally give myself a voice and have a civilized convo with the rest of you fellow members.
[ Edited by LottofRice49 on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
agree with himself? I think you have me mistaken. I don't know who that person is but I have been watching the forum for sometime and I just agreed with what he said givin what I have seen looking at the forums. I don't agree with the language and vulgarity but I do agree with the gist of the statement.

By the way, I joined today to finally give myself a voice and have a civilized convo with the rest of you fellow members.

lol

Well you are already bant. More time to play on the swing set.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Eric Reid- Is not highly ranked because of a mediocre 2012 year. I believe he is being unfairly devalued like William Moore (Falcons) was coming into the draft

Mcdonald- Harbaugh had recurited Ertz, Fleener to stanford so he knows how to identify and develop TEs

B.J. Daniels- Will have a chance to be a Qb and maybe return guy. Watched highlights he looks like a poor mans Russell Wilson

Corner Back- Did not draft one early and with 6 picks in first three rounds in next years draft it was not as big a need as S, TE and Pass rusher.

MadDog I know the 49ers donot always follow value when making selections but with their system they have done a good job and have once again added talent to this team.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks for the props...IIRC, MD's initial issues were his "arrogance" and "inflexibility" to see anything outside his own convictions. That said, over the years, he's been more accepting of other viewpoints, tries to stay objective and be responsive to questions on items he's put a lot of time and research into. As long as he holds to his conviction while remaining objective and with no "attitude" tone, we should all at least respect his opinion and try to understand why he feels that way. Like I said before, this is a draft. An inexact science. There are SEVERAL right and wrong-scenarios and those scenarios increase when you have a Championship caliber team and coaching staff to develop these boys into men.

Nicely said NC! I've never had a problem with MD because I'm not willing to put the time in to evaluate 200 college players and rank them. He does. Over the past couple of years there have been some acrimonious discussions emanating from MD's evaluation threads and some members seem to be holding grudges...OK, no big deal. Mad Dog seems to be taking the high road--hope everyone can next year. He also writes quite well and that should be appreciated.

If I did watch games of every player, read every scrap on them and then ranked them...I might be a bit defensive when folks took pot shots.

Thanks for the thread, MD, but even more for ignoring the negative posts.
Originally posted by GORO:
Eric Reid- Is not highly ranked because of a mediocre 2012 year. I believe he is being unfairly devalued like William Moore (Falcons) was coming into the draft

Mcdonald- Harbaugh had recurited Ertz, Fleener to stanford so he knows how to identify and develop TEs

B.J. Daniels- Will have a chance to be a Qb and maybe return guy. Watched highlights he looks like a poor mans Russell Wilson

Corner Back- Did not draft one early and with 6 picks in first three rounds in next years draft it was not as big a need as S, TE and Pass rusher.

MadDog I know the 49ers donot always follow value when making selections but with their system they have done a good job and have once again added talent to this team.

I doubt we're giving serious consideration to a guy with 4.7 speed as a return man. LaMichael James is the heir apparent to both return roles. Patton is probably next up, or Kyle Williams when healthy.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
I ask MD again for the 3rd time..........how are you ripping Reid or even analyzing any secondary when you don't have coaches tape.

You can analyze DL/OL/LB/RB/QB...even wr just based on their pure athletic ability on tape

BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE ANY ANALYSIS OF ANY PLAYER IN THE SECONDARY WITHOUT COACHES TAPE

Holy cow ease up on the guy. Most of us have spent the last couple months reading dozens of blogs and writers of draftniks offering us their opinions based on the resources available to them. MD is no different.
In the law, a jury is instructed that an expert witness's opinion is to be considered in light of the evidence upon which it is based. The same seems appropriate here.

Basing an opinion of a player's value on a bunch of other "draftniks" whose opinions are, equally, based on what others may say, may not be as reliable as basing such an opinion on a review of coaches game tape.

MD has a hobby--which includes looking at internet clips and reading blogs, gathering info as best he can. I do not doubt that he endeavors to be as accurate as he possibly can be, but his resources are simply more limited than those of an NFL professional.

Reality is that Baalke is an NFL GM with access to an abundance of coaches game tape, scouting reports from the Niners scout team (which nobody else ever sees), personal interviews and workouts, etc., etc. There is little question about who has more complete, better information upon which to base their opinion of a players' draft value.

So you're correct. MD is not that much different from the rest of us, even though he appears to spend far more time than many of us would on his draft board hobby.

That still does not elevate his opinion to the level of an NFL professional's, simply because he does not have access to the same amount or quality of information that they do.

To the extent that other posters fail to recognize how much time and effort MD puts in, it seems unfair to criticize him.

To the extent that his posts sometimes appear to rely on all his hard work as if it was the same as, or even better than an NFL professional's, its understandable how that might subject him to some criticism.

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
In the law, a jury is instructed that an expert witness's opinion is to be considered in light of the evidence upon which it is based. The same seems appropriate here.

Basing an opinion of a player's value on a bunch of other "draftniks" whose opinions are, equally, based on what others may say, may not be as reliable as basing such an opinion on a review of coaches game tape.

MD has a hobby--which includes looking at internet clips and reading blogs, gathering info as best he can. I do not doubt that he endeavors to be as accurate as he possibly can be, but his resources are simply more limited than those of an NFL professional.

Reality is that Baalke is an NFL GM with access to an abundance of coaches game tape, scouting reports from the Niners scout team (which nobody else ever sees), personal interviews and workouts, etc., etc. There is little question about who has more complete, better information upon which to base their opinion of a players' draft value.

So you're correct. MD is not that much different from the rest of us, even though he appears to spend far more time than many of us would on his draft board hobby.

That still does not elevate his opinion to the level of an NFL professional's, simply because he does not have access to the same amount or quality of information that they do.

To the extent that other posters fail to recognize how much time and effort MD puts in, it seems unfair to criticize him.

To the extent that his posts sometimes appear to rely on all his hard work as if it was the same as, or even better than an NFL professional's, its understandable how that might subject him to some criticism.

agree, no knock on MD, i have asked him if has access to coaches tape because i was impressed w/ the conclusions he draws and to his credit he did not lie, he said he has no access to coaches tape. upon that revelation we cannot take seriously any assessment of a defensive back...without that tape and understanding roles/coverages etc there is absolutely no way you can tell me that you know kenny vaccaro leaps and bounds better than eric reid, or that johnathan cyprien is better than reid as well.

that is just simple facts. i respect his work but to sit here and talk down from a pulpit as if he knows reid is the wrong pick at that spot without access to coaches tape to make an assessment is not a good assessment
agree, no knock on MD, i have asked him if has access to coaches tape because i was impressed w/ the conclusions he draws and to his credit he did not lie, he said he has no access to coaches tape. upon that revelation we cannot take seriously any assessment of a defensive back...without that tape and understanding roles/coverages etc there is absolutely no way you can tell me that you know kenny vaccaro leaps and bounds better than eric reid, or that johnathan cyprien is better than reid as well.

that is just simple facts. i respect his work but to sit here and talk down from a pulpit as if he knows reid is the wrong pick at that spot without access to coaches tape to make an assessment is not a good assessment

As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
stopped reading at "the Dog"

Ditto
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

MD states his opinion of Reid pretty clearly, and appears steadfast in his belief that Baalke was mistaken in trading up for Reid.

I find his position interesting to consider, and to the extent that it requires us to try to make our own critical analysis of the player's talent and ability, and to figure out what Baalke was thinking when he made the move, its actually very useful. IMHO.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?
I thought Kiper had access to some game tape. Not sure about the others. Seriously doubt that any of them have the same amount of access as Baalke or any other NFL GM would have.
Share 49ersWebzone