There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

Originally posted by Rodinxxv:
Originally posted by jreff22:
up to this draft he had only had 2 classes to his name....and last years sucked

Completely jumping the gun, on last years draft. All those players except for Slowey are currently still on the team and the rest of them eventually made the 53 except for Fleming(hurt), that's pretty good on an absolutely load team. We also picked up the extra 3, 5, 6, and 7 draft picks setting us up for this past draft.

We were red shirting a lot of players, so we didn't get to see them...we had no need to see most of them. Jenkins obviously could've of stepped up, but that didn't happen, WR is notoriously a hard transition. We will get a better feel this year for this draft..Jenkins could flop(but maybe he breaks out), James is good, Looney and Robinson could ultimately have starting roles, Fleming, Cam Johnson? we just don't know. Bottom line is e will get a better feel this year for this draft. Way too early to say last year sucked. Definitely no instant dividends though.

This. Thank goodness there are some level headed people around here. Last year's draft is wayyyy too much of a question mark to call it a failure. It certainly didn't look good last season, but the only opportunities that arose were for James and Jenkins.

Jenkins was in for ten plays or so the entire season and only targeted once, but our staff clearly didn't have confidence in him then. But I don't think they drafted him with last year in mind. Going into the season, we were stacked at WR in front of him, and I don't think the staff anticipated him having much of a role. I think this camp and preseason will tell a lot about the Jenkins and his commitment to improvement. He may come forth and become the valuable #3 receiver we need, or he may get outperformed by Lockette and Patton and ultimately lose a roster spot if Manningham isn't PUPd. Huge question mark, but way to early to proclaim him a bust.

James on the other hand did well with his opportunity and he may turn into quite a valuable player, especially if he handles the KR/PR role well. Looney could be a really good player, but we just don't know yet, because there's a lot of really great players ahead of him. Hopefully, we don't find out how good Looney is next year; meaning our O-line remains healthy all season. And we just don't know enough about Robinson and Fleming to make any definitive statements regarding either. Cam Johnson didn't stand out in his limited opportunities, but then again, he was a 7th round pick and put on our practice squad. This draft may need more time than usual to grade.
[ Edited by AmpLee on May 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Why dont you ask him this way... would you rather have drafted Hunter at 34 or have moved down and drafted Tank Carradine and gotten a 3rd next year.

Hunter's my favorite for biggest bust of this NFL draft. Just not convinced that he'll have success that next level, great physical traits, but football-wise, he carries the same traits as many previous WR busts.

Why is that ?

You mean Hunter is an even bigger bust than AJ Jenkins ? Is that what you are saying ?

At least one thing for sure, Hunter's draft value was right there cos the Titans used our 34th pick to select exactly Justin Hunter.

it is way premature to call aj jenkins a bust..i think he will be a rductive player for niners this year...players dont always adapt to the pro game right away, and receivers traditionally tend to take longer to do so...jenkins had 0 catches his 1st year at illinois, had 90 his last year...
Originally posted by mebemused:
Every year, I learn as much from MD's amateur efforts to educate us on the draft as from professional commentators who get paid to do the same job. Thanks MD! And kudos for standing by your picks when Baalke does something different.

We all agree that grading a just completed draft is a fool's errand, but we do it anyway because training camp doesn't even start for a couple of months.

An assumption that MD makes in submitting his picks is no trading. As a pre-draft predictor you have to do this otherwise there are so many variations in the actual draft order (with trades) that there is no longer a basis for comparison between mock A and mock B. If you want to have a conversation about who to pick where, the only way to have that conversation is to assume no trading.

But we all know that the actual draft is full of trades. When MD compares his static picks to Baalke's dynamic picks (with trades), you have an apples to oranges comparison.

Consider Baalke trading up 6 spots, right in front of Seattle, to pick Vance McDonald TE. If you watch the NFL draft live feed, while waiting for the 55th selection, Chris Berman says that there have been a couple of trades at 55. The 49ers move up and select Vance McDonald, and Seattle trades down from pick 56. It was the speed with which Seattle traded down that caught my eye. Seattle wasn't even on the clock yet, at 56.

Seattle was also looking for a TE. In fact, Seattle drafted McDonald's teammate at Rice, Luke Willson, in the 5th round:
http://q13fox.com/2013/04/27/seahawks-2013-draft-rewind/#ixzz2S0QEOYen

While I'm not privy to either Seattle's or the 49er's war rooms, it looks to me like Baalke anticipated that Seattle might take McDonald at 56. And the "proof" is the fact that Seattle traded out of 56 before their time on the clock began. Both Seattle and the 49ers were scouting Rice TEs, so they likely noticed each others interests. Perhaps Seattle had Luke Wilson graded higher than Vance McDonald, but that isn't likely using MD's Big Board (Luke Wilson isn't on MD's Big Board.)

From MD's perspective, trading for Vance McDonald wastes a pick and there was a player of higher value waiting for us at 61. From Baalke's perspective, Seattle and the 49ers liked McDonald, and Baalke had a 6th round pick to burn to get the top rated player on his board. And as an added bonus, perhaps deprive Seattle of TE that they had scouted. Hence the apples and oranges comparison with the inevitable disagreements of who should have been picked where.

Lastly, both Seattle and the 49ers have stacked rosters. If they stay healthy, they will meet each other in the NFC champions game. What are the odds that a 5th round or latter player will make the roster? Even with the average NFL roster, i'm guessing less than 50%. With a stacked roster, much less. MD's static approach takes BPA at each draft slot. Baalke's dynamic, wheeling and dealing approach, accepts that the odds are small for a late round draftee making the team, and uses those late round picks to maximize the value of his early picks who are more likely to make the team.

Since 3 years is a long wait to settle the matter, I'm looking forward to training camp to get a first look at our 2013 draftees, and a better look at our 2012 draftees.

Very astute observations. It seems like the Niners and Seahawks have similar interests in players: Both seemed very interested in Bruce Irvin last year with their first round pick. It could be an overlap between the Scot years and Baalke years, or simply the random nature of two teams crossing paths on similar players.

You are right in saying it gets messy once trades happen to make selections. Under the path the Niners established in moving up to 18, it greatly alters my non-trade draft, since I go Tyler Eifert at 18. It still would have selected Carradine at 40, but then it begins to go in a different direction.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I think you took my post too seriously

My apologies.
Hey MadDog, do you consider giving away Justin Hunter at 34th a huge miss on our part ?

I do. Even though my draft and Baalke's draft overlap on Patton, I think Hunter would have been a huge piece of the puzzle for us at WR. I graded him as my number two WR in this class and the 24th best overall player in this draft.

I think the club will look back in a few years and would be happy to switch Reid for Hunter. In my book, he will be the stud Tennessee WR from this class, not Patterson.
Hunter's my favorite for biggest bust of this NFL draft. Just not convinced that he'll have success that next level, great physical traits, but football-wise, he carries the same traits as many previous WR busts.

We part on Hunter. I think Patterson is the bust in waiting. Comparing the two in college, Hunter was the star, was so much more productive. I see this trend continuing in the NFL.

All of that being said, I am the least comfortable at analyzing WRs more than any other position. To me, it is witchcraft trying to figure out which guys make it or not. I feel much more comfortable projecting the big guys.
I think the Niners would have drafted Carradine and Cyprien if they had not traded up.

If the order was Cyprien and Carradine. Cyprien was selected by the Jags at 33.

I would have gone Carradine at 31 and then been skunked by the Jags at 33, since I had Cyprien at 17 on my BPA board and Hunter at 24. Hunter was next best undrafted and of need and in right scheme.
Originally posted by hofer36:
it is way premature to call aj jenkins a bust..i think he will be a rductive player for niners this year...players dont always adapt to the pro game right away, and receivers traditionally tend to take longer to do so...jenkins had 0 catches his 1st year at illinois, had 90 his last year...

Agreed that it is too early to call Jenkins a bust. So far, not good. But, WRs can make big leaps in their sophomore year. RBs tend to show right away that they have it or don't.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I didn't read all 17 pages and this may have been mentioned but moving from #31 to #18 was worth more then the #74 pick we gave Dallas. If you go by the value chart our late second rounder would've have been close to equal value. Now way were we moving from #31 to #14 for anything less then a secound round pick.

True. Baalke was able to do a very nice job of moving up 13 slots and give away only a mid-third rounder. Nice value trade. However, then, you have to pick the right guy, and that is where I part with Baalke.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Another exciting draft weekend has come and gone, and now....a little more than 51 weeks before we do it all over again. Yikes!

The Niners had 13 selections, used 11 and stockpiled a third rounder for next year, to no one's surprise. The question is, "How did they do with their 11 selections?" While every person has their own interpretation of a "good" draft, to me, it is a combination of matching the best player with a specific need and at an acceptable slot. When the top need matches the top player at a top value location, it is nirvana...which rarely happens. With all of this in mind, here is my breakdown of the Niners' selections.

1 Eric Reid, 18th overall. The Niners needed to sacrifice a third rounder to jump up 13 slots to select Reid. To me, this was a selection out of desperation more than of true value. Reid was not a "reach" at 18, because some teams following the 18th slot were probably in position to draft him (Bengals more than likely). The issue is that he is not the 18th best player in this draft. In fact, I don't think he is close to the 18th best player in the draft. Now, three picks before Reid was selected, the Saints grabbed Kenny Vacarro, who I believe is FAR superior to Reid. So, this was not a good value pick. Is Reid a bad player? No. Is he worth the 18th overall, a big NO! The NIners gambled with Goldson over the last couple of years, and while they won in the past with his contract, this time the time was up. So, the cheaper route was a draftee. Reid regressed in 2012, and that should concern fans. He was not nearly the same player as the year before. He has all the physical and mental tools to become a great pro, but to me, lack something to be consistently great. Some might label it inconsistent instincts, some might call it stiff hips, I call it a move to strong safety in a couple years.

If the team if moving up to 18, get a player than matches the value. The pick should have been Tyler Eifert, who is going to be a stud in the NFL. Maybe the Bengals should send a Thank You card to the Niners for Christmas. The Niners obviously saw need at TE, as they selected McDonald 37 picks later. They should have picked up the best player on the board at that point, Eifert.

Grade for Reid: C- grade. Good player, not great, poor value, and lost opportunity and sacrificed third rounder. For the record, I did not advocate moving up. In fact, as I will show later, I held tight across all 13 picks.

2. Tank Carradine, 40th overall. Trent making the Dog a happy camper, as Carradine was the best player on the board at 40. Obviously will assume the role that J. Smith plays down the road. Just a beast all around, with a wide array of moves to get to the QB. Very impressive strength and speed combo, and is extremely determined to get on the field as soon as possible. Can't wait to see him develop as a pro. Will need to stack on about 10-15 pounds to handle the pounding that a 34 base DE takes, but in the meantime can either rush from the outside on passing downs, or inside next to Smith. Dropping down six slot and picking up extra compensation adds extra value.

Grade for Carradine: A.

2. Vance McDonald, 55th overall. Extremely athletic TE, with big upside. Outstanding combination of size, speed, strength. Still raw at TE. Reminds me a lot of James Casey. McDonald was the number 4 TE on my board after Eifert, Kelce and Ertz. Hands can be suspicious at times, and he will need to work on concentrating on catching the ball cleaner at the pro level. Should be a concern that, like Reid, he performed better statistically earlier in his career. Only 2 TD's in 2012 compared to 8 in 2010. I like the player, but assign him a slightly lower grade. To me, in a deep draft, he is more an early-mid third round value. The team really needed some CB or NT help by this point, in my opinion, and there were very talented guys on the board that could have been a better value pick in this slot. Since the team felt the need to move up six slots, and sacrifice another pick once again, it should be for a game changer, difference maker. I don't see that in McDonald. Could have picked Kelce at 61, one pick before the Chiefs nabbed him at 62.

Grade for McDonald: C+

3. Corey Lemonier, 88th overall. Lemonier is a long, athletic, 6'4" OLB with a quick first step and solid experience in the SEC for Auburn. Another very hard working player, with excellent determination and a relentless motor, he adds another edge rusher to the team. There is a lot to like from this kid. The downside is a siginificant drop in productivity on the back end of the 2012 season, as the competition became stiffer. For me, Lemonier is a bit of a one trick pony at rushing the QB. If he beats you to the edge, he's got you. However, if the OT gets his hands on him, he's done. Lemonier needs to work on counter moves if cannot beat the OT to the edge. Since this was another trade up, extra value is placed on it, as another draft choice will be used for compensation.

Grade for Lemonier: C+

4. Quinton Patton, 128th overall. He was the top guy left on my board for the team at the pick, so I saw great value and a need come into harmomic alignment, as with Carradine, with this pick. Patton was hyperproductive at Louisiana Tech, is very smooth on the field, and knows how to play the game. I saw him as second round value, so to pluck him in the fourth is a home run. Dare I say I graded him higher than the Niners' first rounder last year, AJ Jenkins. To me, he should surprise a lot of people with the productive career ahead.

Grade for Patton: A

4. Marcus Lattimore: 131st pick. A terrific football player, with great spirit and heart. The team could take a high risk player in Lattimore at this juncture with so many picks at their disposal. Why not roll the dice with a guy who could end up the best back in the draft? This is the positive spin on Lattimore. The reality is that Lattimore suffered a horrific injury, and while there are examples of RBs who return to form after major ACL surgery (Peterson, McGahee), most are not the same. Further, Lattimore has a lot of mileage on that body, even before the injury, as he has been taking big hits for four college years. He does not shrink from violent collisions, and that takes an extra toll. If I was a betting man, I'd say he won't end up the NFL player that I imagined when he tore up college football as a freshman. However, I wish the best for him.

Grade for Lattimore: B+

5. Quinton Dial, 157th overall. Dial is a very intriguing prospect. He has excellent size for a 34 DE, and played in a terrific program. He has a nasty streak about him. In fact, to me, he is one of the dirtier college football players. Some like that nasty streak, others see it as a sign of bad character. Honestly, I couldn't care less, as long as he is productive. Looking at his numbers, 40 total tackles in two years. To me, a bit on the low side. I look at a player like Kapron Lewis Moore who played the exact position as Dial, a 34DE, and see 40 tackles in 2012. To me, this would have been the better choice between the two players.

Grade for Dial: C

6, Nick Moody, 180th overall; 7. BJ Daniels, 237th overall; 7. Carter Bykowski, 246th; 7. Marcus Cooper, 252 overall
For the sake of brevity, I won't go into a long elaboration of the four late rounders. Let's be honest, all of these guys are going to be practice Squaders at best. I haven't read any of the 49ers write-ups post draft, but sure that Moody is shifting inside to ILB. He's a really good special teamer but nothing more. I'm guessing Daniels is also being moved to FB, TE, Hback. Good athlete, but a long shot to even make the PS in my opinion. Bykowski was selected to gain the Polish-American community, and Marcus Cooper was selected because every other back seven defender on Rutgers' squad was selected and we didn't want him to feel left out. I hope they didn't base their opinion on him due to the forty times posted at Rutgers. That track is so fast, my granny can run a forty in 4.55.

Grade for the collective bunch of late rounders: C...does it even matter?

Overall, I give the team a B- grade for the draft. I do rate it as a top 10 draft this year, but it could have been so much more. Got to hand it to Baalke for stockpiling picks this season and grabbing an extra third rounder next year. At the same time, if Justin Hunter blows up the league, and Carradine does not, we will look back at that number 34 pick and scream for the heavens.

As chronicled in the ongoing Draft Discussion Thread, and my Resetting the Board for Day Three thread, here was my 13 selections at the time of the selection. It will be fun to compare over the years.

31. Tank Carradine-DE
34. Justin Hunter- WR
61. Jesse Williams-NT/DE
74. BW Webb-CB
93. Phillip Thomas-S
128. Quinton Patton-WR
131. Cornelius Washington-OLB
157. Josh Evans-S
173. David Quessenberry-OT/G
180. Rex Burkhead-RB
237. Reid Fragel-OT
246. Marcus Cromartie-CB
252. Lucas Reed-TE

I give myself an "A" grade...of course, these were my picks.

In wrapping up, let no one ever state that they get the draft. It is like reading the mind of a woman for guys....good luck. Just when you think you've got it all figure out, you realize you know nothing. Back to square one. That is the great joy of the draft, realizing that the impossible task of mastering it will never happen, but you want to so badly. For those fixated on draft grades, one special note. The Seahawks last year were roundly booed, heckled, jeered by professions and amateurs alike for their sophomoric attempt to make selections. In the end, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson ended up being sensational picks. So, while it is fun to assign grades at this point, history shows that it can go any direction.

31. Tank Carradine-DE > Drafted SF Rd 2 Pick Pick 40 (NFL Comparison Justin Tuck) -9
34. Justin Hunter- WR > Drafted TEN Rd 2 Pick 34 (NFL Comparison Roy Williams) =
61. Jesse Williams-NT/DE > Drafted SEA Rd 5 Pick 137 (NFL Comparison Sione Pouha) -76
74. BW Webb-CB > Drafted DAL Rd 4 Pick 114 (NFL Comparison Adam Jones) -40
93. Phillip Thomas-S > Drafted WAS Rd 4 Pick 119 (NFL Comparison Reggie Nelson) -26
128. Quinton Patton-WR > Drafted SF Rd 4 Pick 128 (NFL Comparison Reggie Wayne) =
131. Cornelius Washington-OLB > Drafted CHI Rd 6 Pick 188 (NFL Comparison Raheem Brock) -57
157. Josh Evans-S > Drafted JAX Rd 6 Pick 169 (NFL Comparison None) -12
173. David Quessenberry-OT/G > Drafted TEN Rd 6 Pick 176 (NFL Comparison Doug Free) -3
180. Rex Burkhead-RB > Drafted CIN Rd 6 Pick 190 (NFL Comparison Mewelde Moore) -10
237. Reid Fragel-OT > Drafted CIN Rd 7 Pick 240 (NFL Comparison Eric Winston) -3
246. Marcus Cromartie-CB > Not Drafted Signed SD via FA (NFL Comparison None) -8
252. Lucas Reed-TE > Not Drafted Signed DEN via FA (NFL Comparison None) -2
I give myself an "A" grade...of course, these were my picks.

They way I see it:

biggest team needs were S and TE that you don't address until the 4th and last pick ?

Teams other need WR if your planning Patton in the 4th I don't understand the 2nd round pick should have gone TE
roster is too stacked to go WR in the 2nd and 4th

Your biggest issue was moving up to take Reid and losing the 3rd round pick
yet you use a 3rd on a guy who falls 76 spots to the 5th and another who falls 40 spots to the 4th
reach
I'm sure those two will fit in nicely at SEA and DAL

team does not have room to draft 13 players why not trade up to get who you want
esp. when they ended up getting who you wanted in the 2nd anyway

bottom line:
didn't address team needs
zero value picks
reaching

basically you filled 3 spots DL, DB, WR with first 6 picks ?
I know you like to give yourself an A but I see a C- at best maybe a D

9ers filled all team needs with the first 5 picks DB, DE, TE, LB, WR
Grade B
Originally posted by hofer36:
Why dont you ask him this way... would you rather have drafted Hunter at 34 or have moved down and drafted Tank Carradine and gotten a 3rd next year.

Why is that ?

You mean Hunter is an even bigger bust than AJ Jenkins ? Is that what you are saying ?

At least one thing for sure, Hunter's draft value was right there cos the Titans used our 34th pick to select exactly Justin Hunter.

That is exactly my point, if is too early to call AJ Jenkins a bust, isn't it even far more premature to name Justin Hunter a bust when the guy hasn't even started mini camp yet ?!
A little off topic, but does anyone know which rookies won't be able to participate in certain OTA's, due to that graduating rule?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hey MadDog, do you consider giving away Justin Hunter at 34th a huge miss on our part ?

I do. Even though my draft and Baalke's draft overlap on Patton, I think Hunter would have been a huge piece of the puzzle for us at WR. I graded him as my number two WR in this class and the 24th best overall player in this draft.

I think the club will look back in a few years and would be happy to switch Reid for Hunter. In my book, he will be the stud Tennessee WR from this class, not Patterson.

That is exactly what I have been saying. He would have been THE deep threat receiver for us to complete that missing piece of our WR puzzle in my opinion. It was no doubt a huge error of judgement by Baalke and he will live to regret it.

I remember before the draft, I was getting hammered for supporting Hunter, people were shooting him down for his inconsistent hands and so forth. All I knew was if a guy could come back after an ACL rusty (with bad hands) and still cleared 1,000 receiving yards, you are obviously dealing with a very special player here. There were a tonne of people screaming for Da'Rick Rogers and the guy didn't even get drafted.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

All of that stated, I do have a big problem with this draft in that a pretty glaring need has still gone unmet...a very quick CB that can cover the slot receivers that have suddenly sprung up all over the place...especially in the NFC West! Maybe the Niners feel like they can just hit the crap out of those slot guys at the LOS and just knock them off their routes with all the big corners they have now. Not sure that will be an effective strategy all of the time though. I'm hoping that T Brown can fill that role and that they move Rogers, who proved he couldn't hang with the slot guys, back out on the edge where he was so effective in 2011.

This and a true 2-gap NT who can collapse the step-up lane (pocket) as we've had consistent and good to great edge rushing for the past two years. That said, it appears we'll be going with many rotations this year along the DL and with it, many many many more 4-man fronts with additional pass rushers up at the LOS with Tank and Lemonier, Dorsey and an array of combinations. Remember, both Aldon and Brooks can line up on the LOS...Brooks even lines up inside as a DT at times as well (rushes and drops back). So Fangio now has a TON of different personnel packages he can run from a 4-man line that is hell bent on QB pressures under 3 seconds and a ton of athleticism to contain mobile QB's such as Wilson. We drafted our own Wilson-like QB for this defense to practice against. We'll be ready for Seattle!

Now, with all of THIS said, with an extra pass rusher in the front 7, that still leaves our secondary down 1 man. My guesstimate based on Baalke's targets in FA, his own words and who we drafted in the secondary, no doubt he is going more Seattle-like here. He wants much bigger, taller, more physical, aggressive secondary play and play up at the LOS. Keeping with this theme he drafts FS Eric Reid (6'2" 212 4.49 40, 40.5" VL 29 WS) and CB Marcus Cooper (6'2" 192) and we picked up Nnamdi Asomugha (6'2" 210). Culliver is probably the most physical CB we have on the roster. And I "still" think we bring in Charles Woodson (6'1" 202).

I think Fangio/Baalke want to get more physical up at the LOS and press the $^&%^ out of WR's. With this philosophy, you could end up with a starting unit of:

Asomugha (6'2" 210) (LCB) - Woodson (6'1" 202) (FS) - Reid (6'2" 212) (SS) - Culliver (6'0" 200) (RCB)

And you can add a Brown/Rogers epic battle for the slot role which I think Brown would win, hands-down.
I agree with you, NC, the Niners want to change up the secondary to add more pressure at CB, which is why they added to the DL and added a FS with great range. I don't think the personnel at CB was the problem at the end of last season, it seems like the injuries to Justin and Aldon Smith limited the pressure they could put on the QB, and that exposed Goldson as a less than adequate guy in support of the CB coverage.

I am also with you on the NT. I've been hopeing for a NT for the past 3 drafts. The first year I understood they simply moved Soap back to NT. Last year they picked up Ian Williams as an UDFA--which says that they don't value the position all that highly, don't think its all that necessary. This season they take Dial as a "versatile" DL who "could" play NT at 6'5" and 320, but can also play DE or DT.

Finally, you're spot on about the QB they added--someone who can imitate the Seattle Smurf in practice, so the OLBs won't be jumping in the air when he pump fakes! Great point.

Baalke just "gets it" IMHO. I love that guy!!!

We said this secondary is going to look very different this year even before Goldson left...so far, that is coming true. I can't wait to see how it finally shakes out!

As to the NT point, here is what I posted in another thread:

1. I think with the addition of Tank (6'4" 276) to spell Aldon (OLB/RDE at the LOS) and Justin inside (RDT) and Lemonier (6'4" 255) for Brooks and Quinton Dial (6'6" 318) for McDonald along with Doresy and the upswing of Ian Williams (for Sopoaga and RJF), it's safe to say, Baalke gets that we need to run a MUCH heavier rotation next year with a small switch in philosophy. I expect many many more 4-man fronts with an array of pass rush options, esp. inside. BUT, don't forget our base 3-man DL as well. On paper, it appears Doresy and Williams can handle this role adequately and both have upside esp. against a pass-heavy offense (run stuffers).

That said, don't forget NT Lamar Divens (6'4" 340) either. He's a guy we can plug in there against teams that are power-running focused; something we struggled with in the past in our base 3-man DL. And we'll be playing a lot of those teams this year as well. But clearly, the shift is to a heavy rotation on the DL, 4-man fronts and OLB's with an added focus on pass rush. Lemonier looks like a clone of Ahmad Brooks and both even wear #55. LOL

I think scheme-wise you will see a lot more 4-2-5 played this year given how many 3 and 4 receiver sets they see. Given that, they may not be stressing the importance of a prototype 3-4 NT ... A. Smith, as a stand-up rush end, J. Smith, Dorsey, and R. McDonald, with Brooks, Harrelson, and our draft picks ... it looks like the making of a fine rotation on a 4 man front.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't think Brown works in the slot b/c he doesn't turn his hips quickly to run with wr's That's why they keep him on the outside. Same with Culliver. rogers is best suited for it I just don't think he has the speed left in the tank. Covering the slot is gonna be a issue just like it was last year if the pass rush isn't hitting home. Teams might want to get big corners like Seattle the problem is they aren't good like Seattle corners.

You may be right here about Brown/Rogers. I agree about Rogers...his issue seems more to do with his mindset and motivation. Ever notice how he plays harder once he gets burned and the spot light is on him?

Well, let's be honest here...Seattle CB's and S's are allowed to do whatever they want w/o recourse, unless they are playing IN Washington. With the aforementioned lineup and the shift to bigger, more physical CB's, we may be able to match up like this esp. if we establish that THAT is who we are now...refs identify with that and tend to give more leeway. Also, with more 4-man DL and rotation and an even greater emphasis on pass rush front the front 7, playing tighter up at the LOS and jamming the $%^& out of WR's means they don't have to cover very long and results in more PD's, INT's and disrupting of routes. But we'll need great range by our S's for over-the-top help just in case a WR breaks through the press and gets wide open. Insert Reid.
Exaclty he locked down Wes Welker as good as i've ever seen. Then a week later he was getting roasted by Doug Baldwin like he didn't even care.