LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

• dj43
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
sorry MadDog but I trust Baalke's judgement alot more than yours bro. Reid will be a stud and Cinn was a strong possibility of them taking him 3 picks later. But i can understand your reasoning.

Trust the Dog. Last time the Niners drafted a safety high, it was Taylor Mays, who I thought was a train wreck and wasted pick. Turns out I was right, and Morgan Burnett was the better choice. I outbaalkeed the Baalke.

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis
1. Mike Iupati
2. Taylor Mays
3. Navorro Bowman
6. Anthony Dixon
6. Nate Byham
6. Kyle Williams
7. Phillip Adams

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/173002-grade-49ers-2010-draft-years-later/

This is the draft that we should be grading. Grading this year's draft is interesting, but not particularly useful.

It is, if I am not mistaken, Baalke's first draft and that means that it is still relevant.

Even with the catastrophic pick of Taylor Mays, it is hard, at least for me, to imagine a better draft; a A plus draft.

Whadya mean A+. There are only TWO All Pros and a near Pro Bowl OT in that draft.

Get outta here!!!

I don't think you can really grade a draft until 3 years later. Nothing ever goes quite as expected. If I was to grade now I give it an A, it looks solid and I am a fan. I will let you know in 2016!
sorry MadDog but I trust Baalke's judgement alot more than yours bro. Reid will be a stud and Cinn was a strong possibility of them taking him 3 picks later. But i can understand your reasoning.

Trust the Dog. Last time the Niners drafted a safety high, it was Taylor Mays, who I thought was a train wreck and wasted pick. Turns out I was right, and Morgan Burnett was the better choice. I outbaalkeed the Baalke.

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis
1. Mike Iupati
2. Taylor Mays
3. Navorro Bowman
6. Anthony Dixon
6. Nate Byham
6. Kyle Williams
7. Phillip Adams

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/173002-grade-49ers-2010-draft-years-later/

This is the draft that we should be grading. Grading this year's draft is interesting, but not particularly useful.

It is, if I am not mistaken, Baalke's first draft and that means that it is still relevant.

Even with the catastrophic pick of Taylor Mays, it is hard, at least for me, to imagine a better draft; a A plus draft.

I give this draft--from 2010 an A!! three star players Davis, iupait and Bowman. The rest were not too good--but three stars in one draft gets an A.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Thank god you outbaalkeeed the ballke when it came to Kaepernick. Man, you were right on the money with that one. I mean, who wants a franchise QB in the 2nd. We shoulda moved up to get Dalton.
Originally posted by Amir:

Thank god you outbaalkeeed the ballke when it came to Kaepernick. Man, you were right on the money with that one. I mean, who wants a franchise QB in the 2nd. We shoulda moved up to get Dalton.

Who was it again that wanted Adam Cariker instead of Patrick Willis???
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Amir:

Who was it again that wanted Adam Cariker instead of Patrick Willis???

MadPete49er
Originally posted by WildBill:
It was not just the Bengals, but the Rams were waiting also, they ended up trading out. Of course you won't know that because no team will admit they wanted that guy unless in the future they get him and admit that. Also, Behind them was the Ravens, who could have jumped the niners. There is also the fact that few people, MadDog included, doesn't take into account the style and scheme that a team plays and whether that player is a fit, only the value as a player.

That Reid played in a big program and is smart, not to mention the measurables like 40.5 vertical, 4.49-4.51 40 and is 6-1 + and 219. (which is what everyone including the niners wanted to match against the bigger wr and te in the league.

Disagree with your assessment of their needs at free safety. With the addition of Harvin and Austin in the NFC West, which happened before the pick, the imperative to select a top notch cover corner increased dramatically. Reid is a bit stiff in the hips, and I believe will have a difficult time with some of these roadrunners.

I love Reid's measurables, but as we saw with Mays, those numbers can be deceiving. We will soon see

You may be right on this point, but your position may be related to a problem that doesn't exist. Are we actually convinced yet that the problem last season was the secondary? The way the 49ers drafted indicates to me they believe the issue was with the pass rush.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is another grade on our draft; the 2013 draft.

Overview: The rich got richer. The 49ers entered Thursday with an NFL-most 13 picks. GM Trent Baalke turned them into very arguably the most impressive haul in the league, along the way picking up a 2014 third-rounder in Friday's trade with the Titans.

Only Reid and McDonald may be definite first-year contributors, but that's far more a testament to Baalke's roster building than his individual selections.

Carradine is a to-the-whistle edge rusher who along with Lattimore could be "redshirted" as a rookie due to knee woes, before emerging as plus 2014 starters.

Patton is a silky smooth route runner with ball skills and insurance on contract-year No. 1 wideout Michael Crabtree.

Lemonier might have been a first-rounder had he not played on such a bad Auburn team.

San Francisco is filthy rich with pass rush. Baalke is constructing a dynasty.

Grade: A

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43159/174/draft-2013-nfc-draft-grades?pg=2
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Absolutely, B- is the very best I can give them.
You'd have to throw in the 74th overall as well, since that was the compensation for moving up from 31 to 18. My grade, probably a B, since most of these players are still pretty overvalued at their selection.
you had carradine, patton and lattimore as good picks, which leaves reid, mcdonald and lemonier as reaches. since when is half of something most of something? you are really a genius in constructing strawmen supporting your position.
[ Edited by zugschef on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM ]

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I doubt it too. Cincy and the Giants evidently wanted him big time. Just wanted to see if this changed MD's opinion since Reid would not be a first rd pick then.

I wish one of these would have picked him and not us. To me, it is not about whether other teams valued his selection in this spot, it is simply my grading of him in this slot.

I have a problem with the whole "grading him in this slot." Value doesn't mean s**t when you can't meet said needs with impact players. You don't draft a secondary need before a first priority need when you can get an impact player for your biggest need. You target your needs and then you stack those needs with where the value is.

I believe our need at safety was much bigger than the team saying, "the value for this safety is too low so I will wait until the next round to see if we can find the best value at the position.

The team more than likely wanted a top rated safety rather than a 5th round Bacarri Rambo to bolster the back end since safety has a starter position available and the 49ers weren't counting on a slotting spot to determine our pick at that critical position.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?

i believe they do, they have friends in the business who are scouts who provide them w/ tape.

MD will also tell you that if you as a normal joe schmo contacted a college for coaches tape some will provide it

I have questions.

Did MD really tell you some coaches will give coaches tape to people that they do not know?

No offense meant, but I find that hard to believe. Since he is reading this thread, I am sure that he can verify what you are saying.

Do you really believe that to be true?

Although, I will acknowledge that some is sufficiently vague enough to permit this statement to be true, I seriously doubt .that this happens enough to have any real impact on a normal person's ability to evaluate a draft class.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:29 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Like I said, I agree with MadDog 100% that B- is the best that I can give them. My personal take of the draft is as follows :

• I like Eric Reid, but I thought trading up to 18th to get him was just a bit extreme who was more than likely doable in the 2nd round
  • Giving up the 34th pick to trade down to me was a huge mistake. Of course I had Justin Hunter being the BPA at 34th and true enough I was totally spot on. Just as we handed the pick over on a silver platter to the Titans, what happened next ? Well, the Titans wasted no time, but to pick exactly Justin Hunter at 34th right away without hesitation which clearly showed the value was there.
  • So, I thought OK if they didn't want to get a WR that early, at least get a top TE to replace Delanie. This was the juncture when I lost it, not only did they not pick Justin Hunter (which I would have been OK with if they had sorted out the TE spot), they also gave up Zach Ertz and went for Vance McDonald instead. What can I say ?! Even McDonald himself said he is hugely under-developed, that pretty much says it all.
  • In other words, in my mind we lost 2 top quality skill position impact playmakers in 1 single swoop if you will.
  • Then, we drafted 3 DL and 2 LBs which I thought was just way excessive. Sure, they wanted a DL, I will give them that, but 3 was just too much.
  • Then, I want to talk about the speculation factor. Both Tank and Lattimore are injured. Perhaps less for Tank, but Lattimore tore 3 of 4 ligaments in his knee, was it really necessary to take such a risk ?
  • As for Quinton Patton, I don't have much comment on him, he was rated high and projected to go relatively early, but he fell so I guess there might be some value there although he is far from being one of my favourite WRs.

So, anyway, I saw a lot of As and A+s in WZ which I felt were just way too high and probably less than objective. If the 9ers were worth an A+, I was wondering how the heck would I be able to grade quite a number of teams which drafted far better than us ? Just the top of my head, the Vikings and the Rams stood out big time. Both teams didn't mess around, they knew what they wanted which were highly ranked impact playmakers and weren't prepared to take risks to draft some unknowns from the lower rounds. So, they went about their business and got it done. My God, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Cordarrelle Patterson, Sharrif Floyld, Xavier Rhodes and Alex Ogletree, I think the names speak for themselves.

So, going into this draft when the 9ers were all hyped to make a major killing with 13 picks, I couldn't help but to walk away feeling somewhat dejected and disappointed. I think perhaps with the exception of Eric Reid and possibly Quinton Patton, we basically ended up with 2 injured players and a bunch of very raw and lowly ranked players. I mean with 13 picks, couldn't the 9ers have gone after at least a few impact playmakers like the Rams or Vikings for example ?

So, yes definitely a B- at the very most from me if I am trying to be polite.

I will close by saying watch out for the Rams this season. We already had issues with them last season, if Bradford lives out to what they think he is with all these explosive weapons, then is going to be hard for us to get a W.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
  • Then, we drafted 3 DL and 2 LBs which I thought was just way excessive. Sure, they wanted a DL, I will give them that, but 3 was just too much.

I only see one linebacker, but Lemonier was drafted to be a linebacker, so that makes two linebackers.
But, if we count him as a linebacker, then we only have 2 defensive ends--Carradine and Dial.

You are right 3 DL and 2 LBS is excessive. You miscounted.

Eric Reid FS
Cornellius Carradine DE
Vance McDonald TE
Corey Lemonier DE
Quinton Patton WR
Marcus Lattimore RB
Quinton Dial DE
Nick Moody OLB
B.J. Daniels QB
Carter Bykowski
Marcus Cooper CB
[ Edited by buck on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:02 AM ]
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?

i believe they do, they have friends in the business who are scouts who provide them w/ tape.

MD will also tell you that if you as a normal joe schmo contacted a college for coaches tape some will provide it

I have questions.

Did MD really tell you some coaches will give coaches tape to people that they do not know?

No offense meant, but I find that hard to believe. Since he is reading this thread, I am sure that he can verify what you are saying.

Do you really believe that to be true?

Although, I will acknowledge that some is sufficiently vague enough to permit this statement to be true, I seriously doubt .that this happens enough to have any real impact on a normal person's ability to evaluate a draft class.

ask him, i've asked him on another thread if he has coaches tape and he said no but some colleges will send you coaches tape. from MD's mouth not mine. he can confirm he said this
Share 49ersWebzone