LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?

i believe they do, they have friends in the business who are scouts who provide them w/ tape.

MD will also tell you that if you as a normal joe schmo contacted a college for coaches tape some will provide it
NFL teams have access to many valuable sources that we do not. These include coaches tape, interviews with elementary teachers, medical reports, personal interviews, scouting groups, HS coaches, college coaches, and not just a years worth but a career's worth.

There is no way I can know that the HS coach from Dudunk HS in East Texas lies about all his players...but if I were a scout in the NFL for thirty years I just might know this coach on a first name basis.

If I were a GM I would put way too much emphasis on interviews with the players...and would draft a bunch of great, intense young men who may or may not have the talent to make it in the NFL. Have to know your limitations...but still doesn't bother me when folks want to try to play GM.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
As far as I know, none of the guys you read--Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Prisco, Miller--have access to coaches' tape. Or do they?

i believe they do, they have friends in the business who are scouts who provide them w/ tape.

MD will also tell you that if you as a normal joe schmo contacted a college for coaches tape some will provide it

This, just the other day Mayock was talking about a team that gave him access to their film room so he could do his evaluations.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by iLL49er:

This, just the other day Mayock was talking about a team that gave him access to their film room so he could do his evaluations.
Now that I think about it, Mayock talks about "going to the tape" or "going back to the tape" frequently. As a member of NFL Network he may have access to some college tapes and Sr. Bowl practice tapes, etc.

Still, Baalke not only has a fully manned scouting department, but also has a fully manned video department that can take a hours long college game tape and narrow it down to just the defensive plays involving the player in question, thus saving Baalke hours of time--which he uses to study other information like medical reports, etc.
Yo, Dog! Let's wait until these cats actually PLAY! No one can say FOR SURE how these draftees are going to perform in the show. There are too many "can't miss" guys who busted out and plenty undrafted cats who came in and became stars. Everyone just LOVES the Lattimore pick, but not because he was a steal (at least not yet) but because it was a feel good story. So, really appreciate the time and effort put into your commentary but, slow your roll and let's wait (a while) and see what happens.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
fire baalke and hire maddog
I've been reading the MadDog draft analyses for years, and I've got to say...the dude is good.

It's unbelievable the picks he comes up with and the supporting analysis. It's insane that he doesn't get paid to do what he clearly loves and is good at. I'm very grateful he comes to this site and shares his thourghts, and I hope he continues to do.

Thanks, big guy. Keep up the good work.
Originally posted by susweel:

does maddog have a football related job?
  • buck
  • Veteran

Pretty sure that Mayock has access to game tape because of contacts established on the job with NFL.com.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by susweel:

does maddog have a football related job?

Does self professed genius count?

I also think we reached on Reid, which is not to say he won't be a good pro. Safeties with those measurables can be rare, which is why they're usually drafted early. The most recent examples of highly touted safeties are Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. Only problem was, even after those measurables, and after knowing Reid is a great person, and hard worker, team captain, SEC conference, and yada yada yada... people STILL had Vaccaro rated higher. I know Harbaugh said he had Reid rated higher, but I believe this screams bias. Harbaugh wants the lover that spurned him. This tells me something doesn't smell right about Reid, which makes Eifert the obvious BPA and a missed pick. I know I got bashed for saying that in another thread but I agree with you MD..

And to AB--- by the time Eifert came to his next contract, you let go of Davis, or trade him, or whatever. You draft BPA and figure everything else out later. The positive effect of having Eifert on this team, in the redzone, etc, would have been astronomical. Hopefully McDonald can provide something of a redzone target, something our highly respected starting TE does not.
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You must have missed the question so will ask again.. How would you rate the draft if the picks went:

31 Tank
34 Reid
61 McDonald
93 Lemonier
128 Patton
131 Lattimore

In this case, would they not have gotten great value at 31, 128, and 131 and gotten fair market value at 34 61 and 93? So, would your grade change without moving up for Reid and taking your guy Carradine?

You'd have to throw in the 74th overall as well, since that was the compensation for moving up from 31 to 18. My grade, probably a B, since most of these players are still pretty overvalued at their selection.
Reid is a player JH has watched and liked for years. That may mean he reached for a player he believes in or he knows Reid is better than most NFL folks understand...or both. At any rate, I see it as a selection from knowledge not ignorance, making it a good selection.

Top need = FS, top pick = FS.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You must have missed the question so will ask again.. How would you rate the draft if the picks went:

31 Tank
34 Reid
61 McDonald
93 Lemonier
128 Patton
131 Lattimore

In this case, would they not have gotten great value at 31, 128, and 131 and gotten fair market value at 34 61 and 93? So, would your grade change without moving up for Reid and taking your guy Carradine?

You'd have to throw in the 74th overall as well, since that was the compensation for moving up from 31 to 18. My grade, probably a B, since most of these players are still pretty overvalued at their selection.

Well then you have to give the Niners the 3rd rd pick for next yea they got for moving down. Again, you cant have it both ways MD. . After round 5 I really dont care. It was doubtful that a 6th or 7th rd pick would make the 53 ma roster. As for the players being overvalued... didnt they take Carradine and Patton well after where you ranked them?
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
sorry MadDog but I trust Baalke's judgement alot more than yours bro. Reid will be a stud and Cinn was a strong possibility of them taking him 3 picks later. But i can understand your reasoning.

Trust the Dog. Last time the Niners drafted a safety high, it was Taylor Mays, who I thought was a train wreck and wasted pick. Turns out I was right, and Morgan Burnett was the better choice. I outbaalkeed the Baalke.
Share 49ersWebzone