LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Passing on Day 3 safeties = vote of confidence in Trent Robinson?

Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
No one has gone at him in this thread, but people are too hard on Whitner.

He was the 1 SS selection to the pro bowl. Granted, the pro bowl isn't the end all be all of NFL performance evaluation, but you generally aren't getting cut if you're the top player at your position voted to the Pro Bowl in the conference, unless the contract is outrageous. Whitner is a 6 year veteran that was drafted 8th overall and 27 isn't old.

We needed a starting FS and didn't need a starting SS. We needed depth at other positions more than we needed depth at S. That's about the extent of it.

This. I actually wanted Whitner gone as I didn't think his play was anywhere near what it was in 2011. But just tracking the moves the FO made (and didn't make) this off-season including the major additions to the d-line/pass rush, it's clear they saw the problem was up front and not so much in the secondary. So I definitely see it as a vote of confidence for Whitner, and also Robinson who they seemingly feel will be ready to take over at SS in 2014.

We'll know for sure though about Robinson if he starts to get more playing time ahead of Whitner this season.

Ahead of Whitner? I think you mean if he even makes the roster. C.J. Spillman and Craig Dahl are the third and fourth safeties if Eric Reid is ready to start. After that you have Darcel McBath who played over Robinson last year. That makes Robinson #6 on the depth chart right now. How about we be realistic about the situation...

Trenton Robinson is getting the Nate Davis treatment.

Fair point, even though you were unnecessarily douchey about it. We'll see how it all shakes out; my money is on Robinson making the squad pretty easily in 2013 and being in the starting mix at SS for 2014.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
We need another NOSE TACKLE Defensive Tackle body maybe Richard Seymour?

Agreed and yes please!
Not too big of a Robinson fan. If Whitner is gone after this year I hope we pick a SS in the 1st or KC's 2nd if we get that. At the latest our 2nd round pick. We will see how Reid does his first year at FS. It's a long shot but he could be our SS of the future and we could use a 1st to pick a FS next year.

Side note: I remember being one of the first on the Earl Thomas bandwagon and wanting to slide Goldson to SS. What a hell of a combo that would have been but probably couldn't afford both since Goldson would still want to be paid like a FS. Anthony Davis was one of the top guys on my want list as well and it worked out.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Not too big of a Robinson fan. If Whitner is gone after this year I hope we pick a SS in the 1st or KC's 2nd if we get that. At the latest our 2nd round pick. We will see how Reid does his first year at FS. It's a long shot but he could be our SS of the future and we could use a 1st to pick a FS next year.

Side note: I remember being one of the first on the Earl Thomas bandwagon and wanting to slide Goldson to SS. What a hell of a combo that would have been but probably couldn't afford both since Goldson would still want to be paid like a FS. Anthony Davis was one of the top guys on my want list as well and it worked out.

we need Whitner IMO (he is our enforcer)
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need Whitner IMO (he is our enforcer)

I would agree that we need him this year but depending on how he does in coverage this year and how much he wants as a free agent he could be gone after this year. I doubt we would give him more than the 3 year 11.75 mil we gave him last time. If he does well I still wouldn't want more than a 1-2 year deal at 3-4 a piece. He will be 28 in a few days and 29 before he plays the 2014 season. I'm sure he is going to slow up each year. He's a great guy, great team player, leader and listening to his interviews he's very knowledgeable about the game but probably time to move on if he struggles in coverage again this year or wants too much or too long of a deal.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Fair point, even though you were unnecessarily douchey about it. We'll see how it all shakes out; my money is on Robinson making the squad pretty easily in 2013 and being in the starting mix at SS for 2014.

I can't see Robinson ending up at SS, I don't think he really fits the position assuming they'd run it the same way as with Whitner in there. I could see Reid moving to SS and Robinson being the FS depending on how the 49ers ultimately feel about him. That would give them two safeties with solid coverage skills.
Two guys I picked in my draft may end up starting right away. Both Josh Evans of the Jags and Philip Thomas of the skins are off to good starts and may end up Day One starters
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Two guys I picked in my draft may end up starting right away. Both Josh Evans of the Jags and Philip Thomas of the skins are off to good starts and may end up Day One starters

Phillip Thomas.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Passing on Earl Wolff and/or Phillip Thomas might have been a mistake, I think the 9ers would have been set at Safety if they did. Shoot I heard even Robert Lester who went undrafted is poised to start in Carolina.
I wanted Josh Evans too

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Passing on Earl Wolff and/or Phillip Thomas might have been a mistake, I think the 9ers would have been set at Safety if they did. Shoot I heard even Robert Lester who went undrafted is poised to start in Carolina.

that's because their safeties are garbage to begin with!

I was a huge fan of Josh Evans, really was hoping the 49ers would take him.
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
that's because their safeties are garbage to begin with!

This. Carolina and Washington both had horrendous safety play last year, it can't really get any worse for them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Carolina and Washington both had horrendous safety play last year, it can't really get any worse for them.

At least Washington improved by picking up Bacarri Rambo and Phillip Thomas. Carolina didnt do s**t! Their Safeties cost them a couple of games on their play alone
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I was a huge fan of Josh Evans, really was hoping the 49ers would take him.

I hear ya, I liked him too. Seems like FO wasn't interested (not sure why not), especially since they could've grabbed him (still sitting there in the 6th rd)...
Share 49ersWebzone