There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

**** Undrafted Free Agent Signings ****

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Can someone explain to me why would we sign a 6'1" 170 lbs WR when there were still some pickings after the draft such as Marcus Davis and Tyrone Goard ?

we are almost broke and it costs less to feed a 170lb kid

LOL. I am sure he can live on cereals alone.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Can someone explain to me why would we sign a 6'1" 170 lbs WR when there were still some pickings after the draft such as Marcus Davis and Tyrone Goard ?

we are almost broke and it costs less to feed a 170lb kid

Double post.
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM ]

pretend to be Austin?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

pretend to be Austin?

I am sure the kid must have gone on diet on purpose to get it down to 170 lbs. LOL. Austin is 5'8" and weighs 174 lbs, this dude is 5" taller and weighs even less. LOL. I just don't get it man.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Rascal, sorry the Niners didn't draft your guy Hunter. Maybe, we'll sign him when he becomes a free agent.

pretend to be Austin?

I am sure the kid must have gone on diet on purpose to get it down to 170 lbs. LOL. Austin is 5'8" and weighs 174 lbs, this dude is 5" taller and weighs even less. LOL. I just don't get it man.

He went on a diet to get UP to 170. He's trying to reach 174.

We just don't know enough about the other guys. Maybe when they had Goard in Santa Clara, they decided they hated him. Maybe Davis is lazy, or stupid, or he has horrible flatulence. Maybe they reached out to those guys and those guys decided they'd rather sign somewhere with less depth at the position.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Rascal, sorry the Niners didn't draft your guy Hunter. Maybe, we'll sign him when he becomes a free agent.

That's OK mayo49. But, I was just upset we gave up the 34th pick. I mean I was pretty much spot on when we handed the pick over to the Titans and true enough they picked Justin Hunter right away. That clearly showed his value was definitely there without a doubt. So, I thought OK may be they didn't want to draft a wideout that early, at least take a top TE to replace Delanie and yet they passed on Zach Ertz too and instead went for McDonald. So, in my mind we basically gave up 2 skill-position impact playmakers in 1 swoop if you will.

No way will we sign Hunter when he becomes a FA say in 4 years cos he will command a tonne of money by then. Just you watch, Justin Hunter is going to become like another Mike Wallace and we all know the guy is pulling $12 mil a year from the Dolphins.

Oh well, we could have landed such a huge talent, just a complete waste on our part when we had so many draft picks to make moves. I think this will come back to haunt us for years to come.

pretend to be Austin?

We just don't know enough about the other guys. Maybe when they had Goard in Santa Clara, they decided they hated him. Maybe Davis is lazy, or stupid, or he has horrible flatulence. Maybe they reached out to those guys and those guys decided they'd rather sign somewhere with less depth at the position.

LOL. Is really hard not to weigh over 170 lbs when you are 6'1" man !! LOL.

Oh well, we will never know the details. But, my point is on paper at least it doesn't look good disregard the reasons why they couldn't get better UDFAs.

pretend to be Austin?

Oh well, we will never know the details. But, my point is on paper at least it doesn't look good disregard the reasons why they couldn't get better UDFAs.

Bolded was supposed to be funny

pretend to be Austin?

Bolded was supposed to be funny

He's following the legendary training regimen of off-season all pro Dominiqe Zeigler.

He's not as lanky as you think. He's actually the same size Marvin Harrison was. At his pro day, Chuck Jacobs weighed in at exactly 6-0 178. He had very good workout numbers, particularly in agility drills. Was third on the team with 41 catches for 600+ yards and 5 TDs and he's versatile as well with KR/PR experience. He's a solid UDFA pickup.
i wanted chase thomas.
That's OK mayo49. But, I was just upset we gave up the 34th pick. I mean I was pretty much spot on when we handed the pick over to the Titans and true enough they picked Justin Hunter right away. That clearly showed his value was definitely there without a doubt. So, I thought OK may be they didn't want to draft a wideout that early, at least take a top TE to replace Delanie and yet they passed on Zach Ertz too and instead went for McDonald. So, in my mind we basically gave up 2 skill-position impact playmakers in 1 swoop if you will.

No way will we sign Hunter when he becomes a FA say in 4 years cos he will command a tonne of money by then. Just you watch, Justin Hunter is going to become like another Mike Wallace and we all know the guy is pulling $12 mil a year from the Dolphins.

Oh well, we could have landed such a huge talent, just a complete waste on our part when we had so many draft picks to make moves. I think this will come back to haunt us for years to come.

With all due respect, I don't think you are paying attention. Did you know that the Niners not only got Justin Smith's future replacement (Tank Carradine) but they also got a third round pick in next year's draft for that pick?

Even if Hunter does become a stud like you say, that is a big haul for pick number 34. Also, Hunter, for all of his explosiveness, doesn't have great hands. Why do you think he dropped to 34 in the first place? In contrast, Carradine would probably have gone in the top 10 or 15 if he didn't have the ACL injury last year and with today's medical technology, that is an injury that can be fixed and rehabbed in less than a year.

The Niners plan on using Tank the same way they used Aldon Smith as a rookie...on passing downs as a rush weapon. That way, they ease him into the NFL and after a year, when he has put on 10-15 lbs., he becomes a starter and a stud for the next 8-10 years. I think he'll have a very positive impact as a rookie. Very few WRs have that in their first year in the league.

Finally, IMHO, an athletic, pass rushing 3-4 DE is as, if not more valuable to a team than a stud WR. I appreciate your two cents but I don't think you considered fully what the Niners accomplished with that trade.

Cheers!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He's not as lanky as you think. He's actually the same size Marvin Harrison was. At his pro day, Chuck Jacobs weighed in at exactly 6-0 178. He had very good workout numbers, particularly in agility drills. Was third on the team with 41 catches for 600+ yards and 5 TDs and he's versatile as well with KR/PR experience. He's a solid UDFA pickup.

OTC...just wanted to say thanks for your tireless research. This is the kind of information that I love from the Zone. You, MD, AB, and NCommand all deserve serious props from all of the Zoners. Thanks man.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

OTC...just wanted to say thanks for your tireless research. This is the kind of information that I love from the Zone. You, MD, AB, and NCommand all deserve serious props from all of the Zoners. Thanks man.

I appreciate the kind words. Just throwing out info for all those who like to hear. If you want to see what the guy looks like, take a look at this clip:

He's anything but lanky. This kid is a compact, cut 178 lbs.