There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

Originally posted by 9moon:
The fact that it may take him 3 years to be where Goldson is at right now.. Then what? do we resign him to an extension?

Is that really saving more money instead of just giving it to Goldson now, and use this draft to pick up the DL that we really need??

Reid is more talented than Dashon, although Goldson has more experience. However, I don't think in his first year he will be that far off when he starts. Plus he is way ahead of Dahl. As for signing him, the niners were willing to give him 6 a season, but he wanted 8+, not worth it if you are trying to make a good team. He is not one you build your team around. Now, a Ronnie Lott in his prime would be something else.
Now that is is expected for Baalke to do the unexpected, he defied expectations this year by doing exactly what everyone would have expected him to do. Who could have expected that? I certainly didn't expect him to do what I expected him to do, so I instead expected him to do something different than what I what I would have expected him to do, thereby allowing his expected actions to catch me off guard, as I did not expect them.
Wrath, maybe trent is waiting to see how AJ fares this yr....if he goes great guns, then trent will be back to his Player X as our #1 pick. Honestly, I think either AJ fooled him or he was a redshirt WR all the way. We will all certainly know by TC. And the WR we picked up? Wow, that ought to get AJ going.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wrath, maybe trent is waiting to see how AJ fares this yr....if he goes great guns, then trent will be back to his Player X as our #1 pick. Honestly, I think either AJ fooled him or he was a redshirt WR all the way. We will all certainly know by TC. And the WR we picked up? Wow, that ought to get AJ going.

I think Baalke acknowledged in the 2012 post-draft interview that AJ needed to bulk. He mentioned a series of nagging injuries that kept him from getting the desired results in the weight room, and that they believed that the issue would get fixed in Santa Clara. We will see if AJ looks bigger/stronger when the Matts have a chance to see him at OTAs and minicamps
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Now that is is expected for Baalke to do the unexpected, he defied expectations this year by doing exactly what everyone would have expected him to do. Who could have expected that? I certainly didn't expect him to do what I expected him to do, so I instead expected him to do something different than what I what I would have expected him to do, thereby allowing his expected actions to catch me off guard, as I did not expect them.
lol.

Funny post. Unexpected, too.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Baalke aptly called Reid a "prototype safety," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh unleashed a jam-packed scouting report."He has great contact courage," Harbaugh said. "He likes to get from Point A to Point B and go hit somebody. He's an effective tackler, does it extremely well. He can be a range safety, cover ground. Long arms, big wing span."

I actually believe them when they say Reid was the #1 safety on their board. He seems like a different type of player than Vaccaro, and there's certainly a lot to like.

I do too. His measurables are better than virtually every safety in the draft and Harbaugh has followed the guy's college career very closely.

The bottom line is this...the Niners FO likes big, fast, athletic, intelligent, hard-working players with long arms who love the game of football. Reid has all of those qualities. In fact, if you look back on the guys that Baalke and Harbaugh have drafted together, the vast majority have them.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM ]
I think he can be good, but he'll have to work on some things. To his credit, the fact that he often times had to survey and cover both sides of the field helps me feel secured. Good size and speed. He's a leader and hes Smart. All good things. Plus our D is better this year so he'll be taken care of.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Reid is more talented than Dashon, although Goldson has more experience. However, I don't think in his first year he will be that far off when he starts. Plus he is way ahead of Dahl. As for signing him, the niners were willing to give him 6 a season, but he wanted 8+, not worth it if you are trying to make a good team. He is not one you build your team around. Now, a Ronnie Lott in his prime would be something else.

I think Dashon was, and is currently the most talented Safety in football.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bdub2588:
Reid is more talented than Dashon, although Goldson has more experience. However, I don't think in his first year he will be that far off when he starts. Plus he is way ahead of Dahl. As for signing him, the niners were willing to give him 6 a season, but he wanted 8 , not worth it if you are trying to make a good team. He is not one you build your team around. Now, a Ronnie Lott in his prime would be something else.

Matter of opinion, but I would take 4 Safeties in Michael Griffin, Jarius Byrd, Ed Reed and Stevie Brown over Goldson. Those 4 made just as much if not more plays than Goldson did last year.

This seems wrong to me but may be a matter of perspective. Yes, he intimidated many receivers and was a good all around safety. But he also made incredibly idiotic plays that resulted in penalties. Hitting guys who are already tackled can't be excused...just dumb. Hopefully, Reid will be much smarter in this regard.

It will be interesting to see how Goldson does on a new team. Will he excel? Or, like the DBs in Philly, will he drop off in production? Next year will be exciting for more reasons than just watching the 9ers...which is exciting enough!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Matter of opinion, but I would take 4 Safeties in Michael Griffin, Jarius Byrd, Ed Reed and Stevie Brown over Goldson. Those 4 made just as much if not more plays than Goldson did last year.

Griffin was atrocious last year. And although Stevie brown had tons of ints he really struggles in coverage and only the saints gave up more big passing plays then the giants last year. They're not in Goldsons lg.
I think the Rams were targeting Reid. We picked 4 spots ahead of the Rams pick before they traded back. Safety was one of their biggest needs. They also
picked up TJ Mcdonald in the 3rd, whose size/stature, resembles that of Reid. Note: article doesnt agree
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/98616/sleuthing-the-draft-with-st-louis-rams-gm-les-snead

"In this draft, there was one player where probably about four picks before I was like, 'Dang,'" Snead said. "The guys we did pick, they were targeted. But in every draft there's always one or two where you go, 'Ah, I can't believe it. I wish that wouldn't have happened.'"
Reid is more talented than Dashon, although Goldson has more experience. However, I don't think in his first year he will be that far off when he starts. Plus he is way ahead of Dahl. As for signing him, the niners were willing to give him 6 a season, but he wanted 8 , not worth it if you are trying to make a good team. He is not one you build your team around. Now, a Ronnie Lott in his prime would be something else.

Earl Thomas is better than all five.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This seems wrong to me but may be a matter of perspective. Yes, he intimidated many receivers and was a good all around safety. But he also made incredibly idiotic plays that resulted in penalties. Hitting guys who are already tackled can't be excused...just dumb. Hopefully, Reid will be much smarter in this regard.

It will be interesting to see how Goldson does on a new team. Will he excel? Or, like the DBs in Philly, will he drop off in production? Next year will be exciting for more reasons than just watching the 9ers...which is exciting enough!

I share your sense of enticement. Really if you look at Dashon's body of work, throughout his career he's produced under bad coaching and bad play around him. Though what you say may be true, that chip on his shoulder has been a fine catalyst. Still mournful over his departure.
Originally posted by SFrush:

Earl Thomas is better than all five.

Goldson is going to have Revis playing one side of the field for him.