There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

Good call Kolohe!

We fleeced the Boys!
I would take Cyprien at 34, we would be set at FS & SS for years!

By the way, I love the Reid pick. Only cost us a 3rd to move all the way down to 18, and the fact that we got a leg up on the Cownboys only makes it sweeter!
like this pick, I didn't see us getting him though, so didn't ad in my mock, but love the pick.. I see us getting Duke Williams in the 3rd. to learn behind Whitner, then take over for him next year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Joe we robbed the Cowboys on this recent trade, a move up like that should've at least cost us one of our 2nd round picks and a 4th or 5th round pick and we still have a pick in the 3rd round. But to say Reid would've been there at #31 is highly highly unlikely, Giants, Bengals, Rams, Pats and even the Falcons who also need to upgrade their secondary all could have and most likely taken Reid. I also thought the Saints for sure would've taken Eric Reid the hometown kid, but the number one rated Safety fell to them and that was that.

I think we can throw out the trade value charts. This year seems to be on the cheap...perhaps due to the level depth of talent through the third round.
Joe we robbed the Cowboys on this recent trade, a move up like that should've at least cost us one of our 2nd round picks and a 4th or 5th round pick and we still have a pick in the 3rd round. But to say Reid would've been there at #31 is highly highly unlikely, Giants, Bengals, Rams, Pats and even the Falcons who also need to upgrade their secondary all could have and most likely taken Reid. I also thought the Saints for sure would've taken Eric Reid the hometown kid, but the number one rated Safety fell to them and that was that.

Took my chill pill. I'm good. Man I let my emotion get away....

Would have loved this at #31 will have a hard time believing we would have gotten leaped-frogged.

You know ..does me know good being upset going into tonight. I'm too old to get this fired up.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Everyone knows that if two positions are drafted back to back, then the next pick HAS to be that position. It's been that way since forever.

Look I know I have hindsight that they didn't. The draft was strong on OL and S. Typically where you are deep there are no runs. But there definitely was a run on OLs and not at safeties.

Actually it is rare for 3 in a rows. Didn't happend Dalton/Kap or this year OT' 1,2 ... then 4.
Originally posted by FearItself:
I love when fans do this... try to claim that they know more about the situation and the draft stock of a player than the insiders who actually live, eat, and breath the sport, and who just took their team to the Super Bowl last year. Right. I should believe you because you know what you're talking about, and I shouldn't believe our front office because they are just clueless and only have access to every other GM, to every whisper, to every scout, to one-on-one interviews, and are actually talking about players with other teams. Makes sense!

Harbaugh and Baalke? Yeah, they don't know what they're doing. You do though. Riiiiight.

Never said I knew more. AND I HAVE THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. And didn't imply, I would have done better, or even done anything different.
(ps I love guys who cheapshot and don't put their thoughts out there for review )
I'm not really faulting them. They obviously felt that getting Reid was key. And no they don't have a crystal ball, so your are right. Good move given the situation. I am just not happy with the result. I really can't buy he wouldn't have been there at 31. And they could not have known.

Suffice to say don't like the result, happy with their draft decision. Not the same thing.

If Reid isn't significantly better than the other available safeties.... I won't be the only one grumbling here.

That's fair. We as fans have to look at the other end of the spectrum as well. There has been MANY times our own fans were "right" over our own FO as well (esp. prior to the HarBaalke regime). Another thing to consider is that there is no wrong answer here...or not right answer here. Perhaps any move we made resulted in success. We could do no wrong. Or perhaps, we find out that just about every one of these "we should have gotten X, Y or Z instead" players all flame out. Who knows.

What we do know is (now) that this FO loved this kid and did everything they could to get him. It's on them now to develop him and we didn't have to give up much to do it. So this is a win-win in my book.

Another scenario to consider is that if we felt we could have gotten him at 20, just before the Bengals, who would be our trade-partner? Exactly! Chances are we would have had to give up MORE then to move up less b/c our trade partner wouldn't have been the Cowboys.

That alone makes this an B grade for me! It's an A-grade when you consider we fill our most pressing need and factor in all his intangibles (IQ, physicality, can play both spots, leader, wears the dot on his helmet like Whitner now, gold star character, work ethic, he's a 49er fan, has history with Harbaugh, has tremendous upside, picture him in THIS defense, etc.), yeah, this is an easy A-grade!
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I think we can throw out the trade value charts. This year seems to be on the cheap...perhaps due to the level depth of talent through the third round.

I tweeted a dozen "draft experts" (CBSsports/ESPN/rotoword/ourlads etc) on whether the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart (Kolohe's Pinned chart) was still used.
Got 3 responses
  • one said it was outdated
  • one said it was outdated and obsolete
  • some still use it but most teams don't use

But what is used now? Didn't get any sense of what is replacing it.

I tweeted a dozen "draft experts" (CBSsports/ESPN/rotoword/ourlads etc) on whether the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart (Kolohe's Pinned chart) was still used.
Got 3 responses

I think teams look at Players available, and there own big board to judge if a trade is worth it.
Took my chill pill. I'm good. Man I let my emotion get away....

Would have loved this at #31 will have a hard time believing we would have gotten leaped-frogged.

You know ..does me know good being upset going into tonight. I'm too old to get this fired up.
Unlike the rest of the world, rooting for your sports team is basically good vs. evil. There's no gray areas. We're wonderful; they're crap. So it's easy to get carried away.
Got 3 responses

I think the value charts are only as good as the level of talent available. If there is a top heavy draft with super stars at the first 20 or so, those picks will be worth more. But if, as this year seems to be, the 15th pick is likely to be just slightly better than the 35th, the value is much less. Most of the first round are debatable picks...which we have seen with players falling an jumping all over the place.

Edit: thanks for sharing your tweets...confirms what I had noticed!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
What is basic, simple human behavior? To make assumptions about things you don't have enough evidence to support?

Touche. Never been so excited on a Niner draft. Got carried away. (Emotion is the opposite of Logic)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Everyone knows that if two positions are drafted back to back, then the next pick HAS to be that position. It's been that way since forever.

Look I know I have hindsight that they didn't. The draft was strong on OL and S. Typically where you are deep there are no runs. But there definitely was a run on OLs and not at safeties.

Actually it is rare for 3 in a rows. Didn't happend Dalton/Kap or this year OT' 1,2 ... then 4.
Originally posted by FearItself:
I love when fans do this... try to claim that they know more about the situation and the draft stock of a player than the insiders who actually live, eat, and breath the sport, and who just took their team to the Super Bowl last year. Right. I should believe you because you know what you're talking about, and I shouldn't believe our front office because they are just clueless and only have access to every other GM, to every whisper, to every scout, to one-on-one interviews, and are actually talking about players with other teams. Makes sense!

Harbaugh and Baalke? Yeah, they don't know what they're doing. You do though. Riiiiight.

Never said I knew more. AND I HAVE THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. And didn't imply, I would have done better, or even done anything different.
(ps I love guys who cheapshot and don't put their thoughts out there for review )
I'm not really faulting them. They obviously felt that getting Reid was key. And no they don't have a crystal ball, so your are right. Good move given the situation. I am just not happy with the result. I really can't buy he wouldn't have been there at 31. And they could not have known.

Suffice to say don't like the result, happy with their draft decision. Not the same thing.

If Reid isn't significantly better than the other available safeties.... I won't be the only one grumbling here.

That's fair. We as fans have to look at the other end of the spectrum as well. There has been MANY times our own fans were "right" over our own FO as well (esp. prior to the HarBaalke regime). Another thing to consider is that there is no wrong answer here...or not right answer here. Perhaps any move we made resulted in success. We could do no wrong. Or perhaps, we find out that just about every one of these "we should have gotten X, Y or Z instead" players all flame out. Who knows.

What we do know is (now) that this FO loved this kid and did everything they could to get him. It's on them now to develop him and we didn't have to give up much to do it. So this is a win-win in my book.

Another scenario to consider is that if we felt we could have gotten him at 20, just before the Bengals, who would be our trade-partner? Exactly! Chances are we would have had to give up MORE then to move up less b/c our trade partner wouldn't have been the Cowboys.

That alone makes this an B grade for me! It's an A-grade when you consider we fill our most pressing need and factor in all his intangibles (IQ, physicality, can play both spots, leader, wears the dot on his helmet like Whitner now, gold star character, work ethic, he's a 49er fan, has history with Harbaugh, has tremendous upside, picture him in THIS defense, etc.), yeah, this is an easy A-grade!
It's not that Baalke and Harbaugh were looking for any good safety, but they had a specific person in mind (because of the NCommand's bolded qualities above0.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
It's not that Baalke and Harbaugh were looking for any good safety, but they had a specific person in mind (because of the NCommand's bolded qualities above0.

The fact Harbaugh has been watching Reid for years and really wanted him says enough for me.

I think so too. Jerry Jones is getting a lot of criticism for trading back that far for a 3rd round pick. But watching their presser, they have good reasoning for trading back and picking up 1 more pick for another player in the draft. The Niners might have been the only one left for the Cowboys to make a deal to trade back. Situations tend to change quickly during the draft process. They could squeezed another 4th rounder out of Baalke but who knows.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
What is basic, simple human behavior? To make assumptions about things you don't have enough evidence to support?

Touche. Never been so excited on a Niner draft. Got carried away. (Emotion is the opposite of Logic)

It's all good man. Let's hope our team made the right choice.