There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OldJoe:
This is Harbaugh's move. His draft crush. Baalke is about value and this move up wasn't. Let say Reid is the best safety bar none.

I'm still not happy. Why? Everything points to him being there at 31. If someone wanted to jump up and get a safety above #31, they certainly would have done so after the Niners jumped. No one else did. Those hot for safeties would have seen Vaccarro, Reid back to back as a run on safeties and would have moved up to one. Baltimore didn't move. If you don't jump up with two of the best one's are gone, you certainly wouldn't have when only one was gone.

Bottom line this 2010 again (gave up 4th rounder to move up two spots for nothing). Panic move = Bad Drafting.

Let's look at tomorrow and see who gets drafted #74-#84. One of those guys should have been a Niner.

A lot of conjecture in this post.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Not sure whose comments is other than conjecture.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Basic, simple human behavior, actually.

What is basic, simple human behavior? To make assumptions about things you don't have enough evidence to support?
Look there was a run on OL's .. . who had Lane Johnson #4. No one ... No one saw the first two OTs as a run but should have. Since OL can be somewhat interchangable (Bass C>G/Snyder G>C/) this was a run on OLs. OGs started going early.

We acted like Vaccarro pick signaled a run on Safeties. There never was. Balt figured one of the top ones would be there. No one was going to jump and steal our guy. Outside of the top 10. Teams often do not have the same draft crushes.
Look there was a run on OL's .. . who had Lane Johnson #4. No one ... No one saw the first two OTs as a run but should have. Since OL can be somewhat interchangable (Bass C>G/Snyder G>C/) this was a run on OLs. OGs started going early.

We acted like Vaccarro pick signaled a run on Safeties. There never was. Balt figured one of the top ones would be there. No one was going to jump and steal our guy. Outside of the top 10. Teams often do not have the same draft crushes.

Here's the thing....what if teams saw Vaccaro and Reid as Tier 1 safeties.....with Elam and others Tier 2? You're making the faulty assumption that because no other safeties were selected, that Reid wouldn't have been selected either, that's requiring a tremendous amount of conjecture. There's absolutely nothing to suggest beyond the usual draftnik's and talking heads that teams really did view guys like Cyprien as a 1st round picks...obviously they didn't.

The Bengals worked out Reid twice, the Rams had tremendous interest, once he slipped off the board, these teams could have very well looked in a different direction....the Rams just completely went and traded down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Here's the thing....what if teams saw Vaccaro and Reid as Tier 1 safeties.....with Elam and others Tier 2? You're making the faulty assumption that because no other safeties were selected, that Reid wouldn't have been selected either, that's requiring a tremendous amount of conjecture. There's absolutely nothing to suggest beyond the usual draftnik's and talking heads that teams really did view guys like Cyprien as a 1st round picks...obviously they didn't.

The Bengals worked out Reid twice, the Rams had tremendous interest, once he slipped off the board, these teams could have very well looked in a different direction....the Rams just completely went and traded down.

Everyone knows that if two positions are drafted back to back, then the next pick HAS to be that position. It's been that way since forever.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Everyone knows that if two positions are drafted back to back, then the next pick HAS to be that position. It's been that way since forever.

lulz
This is Harbaugh's move. His draft crush. Baalke is about value and this move up wasn't. Let say Reid is the best safety bar none.

I'm still not happy. Why? Everything points to him being there at 31. If someone wanted to jump up and get a safety above #31, they certainly would have done so after the Niners jumped. No one else did. Those hot for safeties would have seen Vaccarro, Reid back to back as a run on safeties and would have moved up to get one. Baltimore didn't move. If you don't jump up with two of the best one's are gone, you certainly wouldn't have when only one was gone.

Bottom line this 2010 again (gave up 4th rounder to move up two spots for nothing). Panic move = Bad Drafting.

Let's look at tomorrow and see who gets drafted #74-#84. One of those guys should have been a Niner.

I love when fans do this... try to claim that they know more about the situation and the draft stock of a player than the insiders who actually live, eat, and breath the sport, and who just took their team to the Super Bowl last year. Right. I should believe you because you know what you're talking about, and I shouldn't believe our front office because they are just clueless and only have access to every other GM, to every whisper, to every scout, to one-on-one interviews, and are actually talking about players with other teams. Makes sense!

Harbaugh and Baalke? Yeah, they don't know what they're doing. You do though. Riiiiight.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Bottom line, the Niners gave up only a mid third round pick and got an elite prospect at a position of need. The Cowboys then take the pick and reach for a guy who had a 3rd round grade at best. Absolute robbery again by Baalke.

What were they smoking on in the Cowboys war-room. Trade down....to select Frederick in the late 1st? Really? They could have traded down once more and still gotten him.

I listens to a cowboy fan on the way home last night, he was about to cry he was so mad. Those guys are the new Raiders. Old owner going crazy.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Look I know I have hindsight that they didn't. The draft was strong on OL and S. Typically where you are deep there are no runs. But there definitely was a run on OLs and not at safeties.

Actually it is rare for 3 in a rows. Didn't happend Dalton/Kap or this year OT' 1,2 ... then 4.
Originally posted by FearItself:
I love when fans do this... try to claim that they know more about the situation and the draft stock of a player than the insiders who actually live, eat, and breath the sport, and who just took their team to the Super Bowl last year. Right. I should believe you because you know what you're talking about, and I shouldn't believe our front office because they are just clueless and only have access to every other GM, to every whisper, to every scout, to one-on-one interviews, and are actually talking about players with other teams. Makes sense!

Harbaugh and Baalke? Yeah, they don't know what they're doing. You do though. Riiiiight.

Never said I knew more. AND I HAVE THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. And didn't imply, I would have done better, or even done anything different.
(ps I love guys who cheapshot and don't put their thoughts out there for review )
I'm not really faulting them. They obviously felt that getting Reid was key. And no they don't have a crystal ball, so your are right. Good move given the situation. I am just not happy with the result. I really can't buy he wouldn't have been there at 31. And they could not have known.

Suffice to say don't like the result, happy with their draft decision. Not the same thing.

If Reid isn't significantly better than the other available safeties.... I won't be the only one grumbling here.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM ]
... Also we only gave up 220 points instead of 300 (I know most teams are abandoning the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart) to the Cowboys.

So we did get somewhat of a trade up ....
Jerry Jones has taken Al's place - we should try and work them again.
Originally posted by blm7754:
What is unusual about it is that we had to trade up to get him. Not that many safeties have been taken in the 1st round in the past 7-8 drafts. Most of them have either been busts or haven't performed up to expectations. I was thinking we would get Reid at 31 or 34.

But then again, I was also expecting more WRs and DL to be picked in round 1. Lots of options now at 34.

Perhaps with the recent success of TEs across the league, the need for safeties has also increased.
Nonesence that it's JH's move.

These guys, Trent/JH are in tandem - neither one trumps the other. They do their homework.

As ususal, the sky is falling syndrome taking over. PATHETIC!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Joe we robbed the Cowboys on this recent trade, a move up like that should've at least cost us one of our 2nd round picks and a 4th or 5th round pick and we still have a pick in the 3rd round. But to say Reid would've been there at #31 is highly highly unlikely, Giants, Bengals, Rams, Pats and even the Falcons who also need to upgrade their secondary all could have and most likely taken Reid. I also thought the Saints for sure would've taken Eric Reid the hometown kid, but the number one rated Safety fell to them and that was that.