LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Draft Twitter Thread

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
How shocked would you guys be though if they trade up and grab Austin? Thing is you can boost the defense with a d lineman who won't be a starter or grab an impact player that makes the offense by far the best and most explosive in the league. I'm not saying I want them to trade up for Austin but the idea has to make Harbaugh excited.

A NT like Star would start no doubt.

Austin would be second thought after crabtree and boldin.

Not to mention he is 5-8 and may very well end up being nothing but hype in the nfl.

Height is nothing, he's not gonna be used for jump balls. Just give him the ball in space and watch him go, I don't want Austin going to the rams especially on that fast turf

How can you make such generl sttment such s height is nothing? He is 5-8. Quite a bit shorter than any successful WR i can think of. He is an inch shorter than Smith, and two shorter than desean. Those are the only two i can think of even in that ballpark. Add to that he is quite a bit lighter as well.

5-8 is short by NFL standards, real short. You can not just automaticly assume he will have the same production he had in college when he gets to the NFL.

If he was 5-8 an slow that's a problem. Put him on a team with other weapons with a good qb and creative offensive minds I see no way he can't succeed. If a coaching staff can put him on the field creating mismatches, putting him against lbs it's a win and not many cbs or safeties are fast rough to keep up with him
How shocked would you guys be though if they trade up and grab Austin? Thing is you can boost the defense with a d lineman who won't be a starter or grab an impact player that makes the offense by far the best and most explosive in the league. I'm not saying I want them to trade up for Austin but the idea has to make Harbaugh excited.

Not to mention he is 5-8 and may very well end up being nothing but hype in the nfl.

Height is nothing, he's not gonna be used for jump balls. Just give him the ball in space and watch him go, I don't want Austin going to the rams especially on that fast turf

How can you make such generl sttment such s height is nothing? He is 5-8. Quite a bit shorter than any successful WR i can think of. He is an inch shorter than Smith, and two shorter than desean. Those are the only two i can think of even in that ballpark. Add to that he is quite a bit lighter as well.

5-8 is short by NFL standards, real short. You can not just automaticly assume he will have the same production he had in college when he gets to the NFL.

If he was 5-8 an slow that's a problem. Put him on a team with other weapons with a good qb and creative offensive minds I see no way he can't succeed. If a coaching staff can put him on the field creating mismatches, putting him against lbs it's a win and not many cbs or safeties are fast rough to keep up with him

Darren Sproles is short. I know he plays in a different position but they have the same type of play style, and that is the explosive play maker on offense.
Hyden is looking like a top ten pick right now. Probably first CB off the board. Although if we were ble to trde up for him i would be happy as well.

My trade up must wants are Austin and Hayden with star or Richardson being ok as long as we didn't give up the moon
i hope its not travon austin
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Darren Sproles is short. I know he plays in a different position but they have the same type of play style, and that is the explosive play maker on offense.

Sproles is built differant than austin. He is 190 lbs. Austin is 175 soaking wet and two inches taller. He may very well be good, but anyone who thinks his size isaint worrisome is fooling themselves.

Exactly, have him come out of the backfield having him go against a lb and it will be comedic gold, have him in the slot with a safety potentially covering him good luck, have an average 3rd cb cover him good luck. With kaep, James, Austin, hunter, vd and Jenkins if he develops that's a lot of flat out speed on offense

Sproles is built differant than austin. He is 190 lbs. Austin is 175 soaking wet and two inches taller. He may very well be good, but anyone who thinks his size isaint worrisome is fooling themselves.

It's also foolish to think that just because he's small he's going to have all his bones broken and never make it. He'll make whatever team drafts him very happy.
Tavon = no injury history. Yes, the NFL is a different game, but some players just have an uncanny knack for never getting hit hard. Someone as shifty as Austin, who provides such a small target, may well be one of those types of players. Jerry Rice rarely got hit hard either.
Originally posted by FearItself:
Tavon = no injury history. Yes, the NFL is a different game, but some players just have an uncanny knack for never getting hit hard. Someone as shifty as Austin, who provides such a small target, may well be one of those types of players. Jerry Rice rarely got hit hard either.

Look at issac Bruce and Tory holt, they caught the ball and unless they saw open field they dropped as if they got shot. They played smart knowing they're not gonna run over anyone, and Austin should be smart enough to do the same
Originally posted by FearItself:

Plus with the defenseless receiver rule he can even go over the middle without too much worry.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be, since I'm too lazy to a search) I thought Desean Was only 5 9? also wasn't he also only 165 lbs when drafted? just wondering
Originally posted by tmpluff:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be, since I'm too lazy to a search) I thought Desean Was only 5 9? also wasn't he also only 165 lbs when drafted? just wondering

He's 5'9.5" and Tavon Austin is 5'8.5" So basically one inch shorter. Jackson was 169 coming out while Austin is 174 pounds.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM ]
Originally posted by tmpluff:

He's listed as 5'10" 175.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
All this arguing over a player the 49ers may not (probably won't) draft.

Smh.

Of course size is a factor, but that doesn't stop Steve Smith or Wes Welker. Plus, he has no injury history and that's with him returning kicks also. Imagine if the saints or patriots manage to draft him he is a playmaker, not matter what size he is.

He can also bulk up one he enters the league, nobody stays the same weight throughout their career.
Share 49ersWebzone