LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

Who's your one "Do Not Draft" player this year?

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
The people saying "Jesse Williams" are really confusing me...

YOLO... it's on his face.

Oh, and he doesn't pressure the QB, which means he would be on the field 30-40% of the time. That's even less than our backup TE or Nickelback. Not worth a 1st (or early 2nd) for this team.

He wouldn't play in 3rd downs. Wich is not 60% of the time. He plays NT and DE. And are you really criticizing him for his tattoos?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
that chick kicker.

no, not Chris Brown.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
With the "talk" of us moving up I wanted to bring up Patterson. I don't think we would take him but I just wanted to bring this up. A lot has been said about the mental side of things and the lack of production but 1 thing that scared me is his body catching. I watched some tapes on youtube and the first thing that popped into my head is why is this guy catching every ball with his body? He has a big body so it worked in college but in the NFL many times the difference between a reception and a DB swatting it away is reaching out and snatching the ball (like Crabtree) and not waiting for it to come to you. You have to attack the ball in the NFL. Listed as the 1st weakness his NFL.com draft profile which I read after watching the tapes: "Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary." I'm not so sure it's an easy transition to get him to stop waiting and attack the ball. It's natural for a guy like Crabtree.

I don't disagree with that, that's why I think Justin Hunter will be a better NFL receiver.

I think stories have surfaced about Patterson's level of intelect in being able to understand schemes.
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
why is everyone against drafting hunt? Is it because he's 25 going on 26? So he's a bit older?

Yes. That's huge for someone's development curve. Not to mention a 26 year old was playing against under-developed 19 and 20 year olds who is now going up against developed guys his age.

Drafting older players in the 1st round is a huge mistake.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
The people saying "Jesse Williams" are really confusing me...

YOLO... it's on his face.

Oh, and he doesn't pressure the QB, which means he would be on the field 30-40% of the time. That's even less than our backup TE or Nickelback. Not worth a 1st (or early 2nd) for this team.

He wouldn't play in 3rd downs. Wich is not 60% of the time. He plays NT and DE. And are you really criticizing him for his tattoos?

The tattoo is stupid. Beyond that, our Nickel defense was on the field for over 50% of our plays last year, as teams bring out 3 or more wides on more than just third down plays. This isn't the 90s, when Nickel was reserved for special situations. Most downs have become obvious passing downs, so teams play more nickle. Soap played ~30% of the snaps last year.
Anyone we'd have to give up too much for

AT #31 - ??? Eric Reid
DeAndre Hopkins
lattimore
Zach Ertz
I think the first page summarizes my thoughts. Pass on the Honey Badger, Hunt, Lattimore (I think he has a lot of mileage and damage on that body), Patterson.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xela510:
Ertz

Yeah, no need to draft this guy.

He was only the top tight end in receptions and receiving yards last year.
Originally posted by buck:

No one is saying that he should go undrafted - some of us just think he is way overrated because he produced solid numbers in college in a school which utilizes TE's a lot. He does not have enough upside to get drafted in the top of the 2nd and trading up from 61 to get him would be a mistake in my opinion. If he falls to 61, we could consider him, but I like TE's that will go later in the draft who can block and don't have T-Rex arms.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
why is everyone against drafting hunt? Is it because he's 25 going on 26? So he's a bit older?

Yes. That's huge for someone's development curve. Not to mention a 26 year old was playing against under-developed 19 and 20 year olds who is now going up against developed guys his age.

Drafting older players in the 1st round is a huge mistake.

You make a point. But you do exaggerate about playing against 19/20 year olds. It's unusual to have guys that young in the draft (Niners picked up A Davis at 20), but that's rare. The avergae is around 22/23 I'd reckon. Hunt is about 2/3 years off.

When you say "development curve" what exactly do you mean? Raw strength? Technique? One's brain doesn't become stagnant because one is a few years older at that age, so there's no reason that Hunt's not going to continue improving. In fact, he'll probably improve at a faster rate than most because he has had much less time playing the game; his technique will improve. But he is a bone fide ATHLETE. He's not suddenly going to get surpassed on raw strengh; his body has been taken care of and has less wear and tear on it compared to most draftees who have been getting banged around since Pop Warner (See, for example, Alabama players). He's fast, very strong and flexible; a track and field athlete. Also intelligent and of good character.

Picking at #31/#34 you have to give up something. If Hunt was, say 23, he probably be in the "top ten" discussion (see, for example, Ziggy Ansah - who may actually be older than he claims). Niners MAY have a shot at a rare talent with Hunt because of his age blemish. I wouldn't be upset at all if the Niners picked him. Ideally, in the second . . . but even in the first.

For guys I don't want to see the Niners draft in the first (who are being seriously discussed as possibles):

Ertz
Eric Reid
Matt Elam (a bit short, for my taste)

If any of the above do get picked, I'd be on board with it, obviously. However, I don't think that they will.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
You make a point. But you do exaggerate about playing against 19/20 year olds. It's unusual to have guys that young in the draft (Niners picked up A Davis at 20), but that's rare. The avergae is around 22/23 I'd reckon. Hunt is about 2/3 years off.

When you say "development curve" what exactly do you mean? Raw strength? Technique? One's brain doesn't become stagnant because one is a few years older at that age, so there's no reason that Hunt's not going to continue improving. In fact, he'll probably improve at a faster rate than most because he has had much less time playing the game; his technique will improve. But he is a bone fide ATHLETE. He's not suddenly going to get surpassed on raw strengh; his body has been taken care of and has less wear and tear on it compared to most draftees who have been getting banged around since Pop Warner (See, for example, Alabama players). He's fast, very strong and flexible; a track and field athlete. Also intelligent and of good character.

Picking at #31/#34 you have to give up something. If Hunt was, say 23, he probably be in the "top ten" discussion (see, for example, Ziggy Ansah - who may actually be older than he claims). Niners MAY have a shot at a rare talent with Hunt because of his age blemish. I wouldn't be upset at all if the Niners picked him. Ideally, in the second . . . but even in the first.

For guys I don't want to see the Niners draft in the first (who are being seriously discussed as possibles):

Ertz
Eric Reid
Matt Elam (a bit short, for my taste)

If any of the above do get picked, I'd be on board with it, obviously. However, I don't think that they will.

A 22 year old is going to grow much more physically than a 26 year old. 26 year olds are at or near their peak physically. You're drafting someone who is 4 years older instead of someone younger who is not yet a finished product physically.
  • buck
  • Veteran
the thread Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by buck:

No one is saying that he should go undrafted - some of us just think he is way overrated because he produced solid numbers in college in a school which utilizes TE's a lot. He does not have enough upside to get drafted in the top of the 2nd and trading up from 61 to get him would be a mistake in my opinion. If he falls to 61, we could consider him, but I like TE's that will go later in the draft who can block and don't have T-Rex arms.

Sorry, the thread title ( Who's your one "Do Not Draft" player this year? ) must have confused me.

I somehow thought the thread was about the one player you did not want to pick in the draft this year.

Share 49ersWebzone