There are 212 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade up? Nah. Trade back or into 2014 instead.

Hello faithful!

We're 34 and a half hours away from the start of the draft, and many a smokescreen are puffin' regarding the Niners' interest in packaging picks to move up in the first round. Now I'm all about acquiring impact players and drafting best player available, but this year, since the strength of the draft is in the early/mid rounds, Im a proponent of standing pat with the first 3 picks (1st rounder and two 2nd rounders) to select talented players in obvious positions of need--DT/DE, S, TE, or CB (in no particular order). The Niners should be able to draft some combination of 3 of those positions with their existing picks, but thereafter, they should look to/be open to trading a 3rd, 4th, or 5th this year for another teams "1-round better pick" next year. I like the idea of having excess picks in upcoming years to help offset any losses due to free agency. With Kaep, Iupati, Aldon, and Crabtree needed extensions (probably after this year to stay ahead of the market), "cheap labor" will need to be acquired via rookies to round out the roster and stay under the salary cap. What's nice is that these rookie will probably not be thrust into a starting role immediately, but can provide quality depth and later fill in due to injury or free agent losses. Baalke seems to always be thinking a year or 2 ahead and I would love to see him continue that with this draft.

Thoughts?

Blake_Fever
I'm a gambler and bet sports, play poker almost every week of the year.

It would be great to get a 1st round pick in `14 from a loser team who'll be picking in the top 2 BUT that's really a gamble.

AND if anyone could pull it off effectively, it'd be Baakle.
This is what I've been calling for awhile. Don't trade up (although I would love Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotulelei). Trade picks and accumulate more in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds and get future picks, as well.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
This is what I've been calling for awhile. Don't trade up (although I would love Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotulelei). Trade picks and accumulate more in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds and get future picks, as well.

Those are the only two players I'd realistically trade up for.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Those are the only two players I'd realistically trade up for.

This I agree with also
I'd like to hold onto 31 & 34. Many d-line, safety, and corner prospects are projected to go in that range. Anything after that is fair game. I think you will see Baalke trade back into 2014 a couple times.
heres hoping that we wind up with a second 2014 first round pick from a bad team (buff,oak,jack)...wishful thinking, I know.