There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone doubting Baalke and Harbaugh's drafting ability?

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Culliver was a Free Safety in his second season of college.

I don't care if you consider him a safety. Trent Baalke drafted him to play corner and the coaches had him play corner... he's a corner. Your opinion doesn't matter.

The only players that were drafted to actually play the safety position have been Taylor Mays and Trenton Robinson.

Continue to worry about it if you want. Me? I'll continue to relax and see how things turn out.
He won't be much longer, he's going to be a safety again. Ass, carlos and brown will lock it down having culliver as a fs would be amazing would give us a ball hawk guy who can cover tightends, basically a younger woodson. This is a board and all we have is opinions don't like it don't post your opinions either!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I don't care if you consider him a safety. Trent Baalke drafted him to play corner and the coaches had him play corner... he's a corner. Your opinion doesn't matter.

The only players that were drafted to actually play the safety position have been Taylor Mays and Trenton Robinson.

Continue to worry about it if you want. Me? I'll continue to relax and see how things turn out.

Don't worry, be happy!
No, I don't doubt his drafting ability one iota. I will admit i am anxious to see what AJ can do. If in fact Baalke does draft for the next yr, well , it is here. I have no idea what they saw in AJ that is so great, but my bet is he will be something special....unless he can't learn the playbook, and please don't tell me that is the problem. Whatever, he needs to produce this yr, and if not, then will earn the title of bust. I don' t think so tho.
Maybe he should just draft linebackers..lol
My only real issues with Baalke's drafts (which have been stellar IMHO) is that everyone and their mother knew Goldson was running towards the payday. Period. We had him on multiple one-year deals and he made his demands clear. He wanted top 3 money. So why didn't we draft and train his replacement (like Baalke says, 1 to 2 years out) fully knowing this? That said, I have a strong feeling they did...and his name is Chris Culliver. Experience at CB will help him as a FS. But then who is Whitner's replacement? Trenton Robinson?
We should already have answers for these two scenarios.

I wanted Fleener badly last year b/c he would have been able to start from day 1 and play 50-60% of the snaps, create mismatches and really help Alex/CK in the RZ/EZ. And more importantly, he was perfect insurance for VD should he ever go down. We run a heavy two-TE happy offense so a #1 "slot WR" such as AJ does nothing for you in year 1. And now he'll be up against Manningham and Williams.

Now here is a scenario where this pick makes the most sense: With CK and his love for the WR position, we may become more diversified. We may get Ertz this year who sounds like a more complete TE compared to Fleener AND we may evolve into a more 3 and 4 WR set team...a more spread-style offense. If this is the case, you CAN have AJ, who's had a year to learn all three WR positions, contribute a ton. He could have a "break out" year and be part of a sweet rotation with Crabtree and Boldin/Lockette and Williams and Manningham (slot). AJ can now play all three positions...he can burn you inside as a slot and beat you deep outside (deep threat). He can also line up in the backfield next to CK and a TE/RB out of the Q formation and create additional mismatches.

Let's watch how "the plan" unfolds before we're too quick to judge last year's draft choices.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Are you one of those newbs that expect rookies to play in their 1st year? Using your logic, we should've drafted a QB last year cuz Kaepernick did nothing his first year!!! If he doesn't step up this year, then we can ALL call him a bust. Until then, you're just setting yourself up to look idiotic in the future.

Ya Seattle must have had a newb drafting for them in 2012 because they found three starters in their first three picks. Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by kronik:
Are you one of those newbs that expect rookies to play in their 1st year? Using your logic, we should've drafted a QB last year cuz Kaepernick did nothing his first year!!! If he doesn't step up this year, then we can ALL call him a bust. Until then, you're just setting yourself up to look idiotic in the future.

Ya Seattle must have had a newb drafting for them in 2012 because they found three starters in their first three picks. Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson.

There was literally a glarring hole in everyone of the positions on their team that you just metioned. Can you pick out the glarring holes on our team going into our draft last year?
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM ]
From the recent interview with Baalke...

"(GM Trent) Baalke points out that you don't draft for current need, you draft for future need, and I'd have to believe that (defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio could figure out how to use somebody like Jones," he wrote.

I think this nugget actually has some credence. Baalke usually keeps his cards close to his chest, but this is interesting, and I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of the 2012 draft.

AJ Jenkins: I think most of us agree that Jenkins' skills fit better with Kaep than Alex. It remains to be seen whether he'll amount to anything, but I think the thought was he'd stretch the field for us (remember we were considering a Mike Wallace trade at that point, and Jenkins was thought to have similar skills).

LaMichael James: Again, he seems like a good fit with Kaep as a change of pace, pseudo-slot receiver type like Darren Sproles or Dexter McCluster. He had some big contributions during the end of the season when Hunter went down, so there's definitely optimism with that pick.

Joe Looney: At the time, we were unsure of what we had at RG (Boone stepped up big) and we had an aging/expensive center in Goodwin. His injury reduced his value in that draft, but this pick also seems to fit in nicely in the long term. But, like Jenkins, he remains an unknown commodity.

Darius Fleming/Cam Johnson: File this under the adage 'you can't have enough pass rushers'. He was hurt before he could do much of anything, both big ?s.

Trent Robinson: Last season, we had a 3-man safety rotation, but the idea that Goldson would walk at the end of the year was definitely present, plus Whitner's salary may become too expensive. Robinson is another pick with the future in mind. Now, for him and the 2 OLBs, this far down the draft, it will become harder to make the roster this year with the influx of talent after this incoming draft class.

Now, skip forward to this draft...


Drafting for current need
  • Starter at FS (unless Dahl is significantly better than we think, Trent Robinson steps up big, or we end up signing Charles Woodson)
  • 2nd TE (Celek is a good #3, but not a #2)
Draft for the future...
  • Justin Smith Replacement
  • Parys Haralson Replacement (unless we have confidence in Darius Fleming / Cam Johnson)
  • Donte Whitner Replacement
  • Michael Crabtree Replacement (we'd all love to have him back, but the likelihood that we can sign him is pretty low, IMO)
  • Johnathan Goodwin Replacement (if we don't think Kilgore / Looney can step up)
Total confidence. Look, I had issues with Scott McCoughan picks. Initially hated Crabtree, Vernon and Staley picks. I admit I was wrong and admit they were all solid. Only Balmer remains on that list. My point is, Seattle and the Niners have awesome draft analysis (New England of course too). Not a coincidence they are seen as the two best in the NFL.

AJ - I'm holding off any judgement until this year
Lamichael - Draft crush of Harbaughs

Baalke knows how to go after the HC's desires. For A. Davis, they moved up two spots in exchange for a fourth rounder. I thought a bad move (didn't buy we would lose him without the move), but that is what Singletary wanted. So Baalke has the brass balls to move up or down (most teams move singularly in direction). Whatever it takes.
Still confident until he proves us wrong. I am a bit surprised about all the CB talk. Once we get our pass rush on track our CB problems will be solved. Believe we have enough talent on the team to get thru one more year. We can definitely focus on CB in 2014.

Also agree that trading up with worth the risk. If we can somehow land Sheldon Richardson or Star I'd be esctatic. I'd be able to live with these guys as our top 3:

1. Sheldon Richardson - DL
2. Phillip Thomas - S
3. Gavin Escobar - TE

Schwinggggggggggggg!
Niner Buff, I like your lists but one thing: We don't need replacement for justin next yr, we need two DLs to help him and DL this yr. It isn't very glamorous, but when we drafted two OLs in first rd, their were a lot of boos. To me it was exactly what we needed, and same hold true for this draft. If we just got two starting DLs from this draft, I would be ecstatic. No way that will happen with 13 picks and 2 each in rd 2,3 and 3. That is impressive. I think trent goes for 5 players only(Plus 3 comps) and uses the other 5 to move up (if indicated). Good position to be in, but who knows what will be out there....but i am betting that between jets, raids, jax, buf,cleveland and philly, at least 3, maybe 4 take good 2nd and 3rd rd Qbs in rd 1. That would also help us immensely, and make any move we made early easier by 3 slots(ie #31 becomes #28, etc.)
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
From the recent interview with Baalke...

"(GM Trent) Baalke points out that you don't draft for current need, you draft for future need, and I'd have to believe that (defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio could figure out how to use somebody like Jones," he wrote.

I think this nugget actually has some credence. Baalke usually keeps his cards close to his chest, but this is interesting, and I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of the 2012 draft.

AJ Jenkins: I think most of us agree that Jenkins' skills fit better with Kaep than Alex. It remains to be seen whether he'll amount to anything, but I think the thought was he'd stretch the field for us (remember we were considering a Mike Wallace trade at that point, and Jenkins was thought to have similar skills).

LaMichael James: Again, he seems like a good fit with Kaep as a change of pace, pseudo-slot receiver type like Darren Sproles or Dexter McCluster. He had some big contributions during the end of the season when Hunter went down, so there's definitely optimism with that pick.

Joe Looney: At the time, we were unsure of what we had at RG (Boone stepped up big) and we had an aging/expensive center in Goodwin. His injury reduced his value in that draft, but this pick also seems to fit in nicely in the long term. But, like Jenkins, he remains an unknown commodity.

Darius Fleming/Cam Johnson: File this under the adage 'you can't have enough pass rushers'. He was hurt before he could do much of anything, both big ?s.

Trent Robinson: Last season, we had a 3-man safety rotation, but the idea that Goldson would walk at the end of the year was definitely present, plus Whitner's salary may become too expensive. Robinson is another pick with the future in mind. Now, for him and the 2 OLBs, this far down the draft, it will become harder to make the roster this year with the influx of talent after this incoming draft class.

Now, skip forward to this draft...


Drafting for current need
  • Starter at FS (unless Dahl is significantly better than we think, Trent Robinson steps up big, or we end up signing Charles Woodson)
  • 2nd TE (Celek is a good #3, but not a #2)
Draft for the future...
  • Justin Smith Replacement
  • Parys Haralson Replacement (unless we have confidence in Darius Fleming / Cam Johnson)
  • Donte Whitner Replacement
  • Michael Crabtree Replacement (we'd all love to have him back, but the likelihood that we can sign him is pretty low, IMO)
  • Johnathan Goodwin Replacement (if we don't think Kilgore / Looney can step up)

i would also add CB since ass, and brown are FA and Rogers could be cut due to age/performance. Cox is a RFA and Culliver are the only signed corners for 2014. We need to address this, too. This is more important than Haralson replacement.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
From the recent interview with Baalke...

"(GM Trent) Baalke points out that you don't draft for current need, you draft for future need, and I'd have to believe that (defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio could figure out how to use somebody like Jones," he wrote.

I think this nugget actually has some credence. Baalke usually keeps his cards close to his chest, but this is interesting, and I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of the 2012 draft.

AJ Jenkins: I think most of us agree that Jenkins' skills fit better with Kaep than Alex. It remains to be seen whether he'll amount to anything, but I think the thought was he'd stretch the field for us (remember we were considering a Mike Wallace trade at that point, and Jenkins was thought to have similar skills).

LaMichael James: Again, he seems like a good fit with Kaep as a change of pace, pseudo-slot receiver type like Darren Sproles or Dexter McCluster. He had some big contributions during the end of the season when Hunter went down, so there's definitely optimism with that pick.

Joe Looney: At the time, we were unsure of what we had at RG (Boone stepped up big) and we had an aging/expensive center in Goodwin. His injury reduced his value in that draft, but this pick also seems to fit in nicely in the long term. But, like Jenkins, he remains an unknown commodity.

Darius Fleming/Cam Johnson: File this under the adage 'you can't have enough pass rushers'. He was hurt before he could do much of anything, both big ?s.

Trent Robinson: Last season, we had a 3-man safety rotation, but the idea that Goldson would walk at the end of the year was definitely present, plus Whitner's salary may become too expensive. Robinson is another pick with the future in mind. Now, for him and the 2 OLBs, this far down the draft, it will become harder to make the roster this year with the influx of talent after this incoming draft class.

Now, skip forward to this draft...


Drafting for current need
  • Starter at FS (unless Dahl is significantly better than we think, Trent Robinson steps up big, or we end up signing Charles Woodson)
  • 2nd TE (Celek is a good #3, but not a #2)
Draft for the future...
  • Justin Smith Replacement
  • Parys Haralson Replacement (unless we have confidence in Darius Fleming / Cam Johnson)
  • Donte Whitner Replacement
  • Michael Crabtree Replacement (we'd all love to have him back, but the likelihood that we can sign him is pretty low, IMO)
  • Johnathan Goodwin Replacement (if we don't think Kilgore / Looney can step up)

i would also add CB since ass, and brown are FA and Rogers could be cut due to age/performance. Cox is a RFA and Culliver are the only signed corners for 2014. We need to address this, too. This is more important than Haralson replacement.

Good call, we really don't have any long-term CB on the roster right now.
I wouldn't doubt based on the tremendous 2011 draft, but you can't automatically assume every pick is spot on, because 2012 looks rough to this point. The best guys still miss more than hit. It is a matter of hitting more than others that makes you special. Overall, Baalke sure passes the test, as he is superior to most GM's in the draft the past few years.

Here was my last three drafts based on my board and team needs at each pick:

2010 NFL Draft
1. Iupati (I graded him as the eighth best player in the draft...probably too low).
1. Dez Bryant
2. Morgan Burnett
3. Owusu-Ansah
6. Doug Worthington
6. Cody Davis
6. Jeff Owens
7. Dorin Dickerson

2011 NFL Draft: Here were my post draft notes I posted in the "Redo" thread (I did not trade for Kaepernick in this draft)
1- JJ Watt, DE, WisconsinSimply the best player on the board at the time. Since Franklin appears to be leaving, moving Soap to NT would necessitate a new DE to take over right away.
2- Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida StateI think Hudson is the best OL in the entire draft, and is a starter at guard or center.
3- Curtis Brown, CB, TexasThe team needs a cover corner, and Brown has size and speed.
4- Jordan Todman, RB, UConnI graded Todman just slightly over Hunter, who I really like as well. Both are great value picks at this point.
4- Marcus Cannon, G, TCUSince the Niners have a second fourth rounder, this can be a luxury pick. I'd burn it on a risk. Cannon is a starter at guard some time in the future if he can survive cancer and regain his strength. Worth the risk in the fourth round.
5- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia TechThe Niners need QB depth, and while no one expects Taylor to be a future starter, he can be a solid backup if the starter goes down for a short time.
6- Charles Clay, FB, TulsaA FB who can run and catch the ball. Sounds like a WCO fullback to me.
6- Justin Rogers, CB, RichmondTeam needs a second corner in this draft, and Rogers had a terrific career and offseason.
6- Jerrell Powe, NT, MississippiSimply a backup, toilet clogger. Every 3-4 team needs one.
7- Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma StWas not drafted, but a quick, strong guy who could develop into a nice role player.
7- Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St Also not drafted, but a talented, fast guy who has a ton of experience.
7- Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio StCompetition for Williams in the slot. Sanzenbacher was a seriously clutch WR for the Buckeyes.

2012 NFL Draft
1. Peter Konz
2. Mohammed Sanu
4. Malik Jackson
5. Vick Ballard
6. Antonio Allen
6. Not sure- don't have my notes here at work
7. Not sure- don't have my notes here at work

Recap analysis: I loved my first three picks in 2010. The rest have done little to nothing. In 2011, I hit the jackpot with Watt, but probably blew it with Kaepernick (I had faith in Harbaugh and Smith). I do love my fourth rounders through seventh from Cannon through Sanzenbacher. Missed on Hunter, but hit very well on Cannon, Taylor, Rogers, and especially Johnson, who has been terrific for the Seahawks. In 2012, I believe my draft will hold up well with Konz, Sanu and a studly Ballard leading the way. Once again, you hope to hit on as many as possible and some years turn out better than others.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
There was literally a glarring hole in everyone of the positions on their team that you just metioned. Can you pick out the glarring holes on our team going into our draft last year?

Offensive playmakers

Secondary help

Depth along O and D lines

Kick/punt returner

We added none of that in 2012, now we have to try again.