There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone doubting Baalke and Harbaugh's drafting ability?

No, next question
Gotta keep in mind that (1) it takes a few years before you can rate a draft class and (2) the 2012 draft class was drafting for an extremely talent-laden roster. We had three great young QBs, Gore/Hunter, a starting FB, a solid set of WRs, an entrenched set of tight ends and offensive linemen, the best defensive front 7 in the league, a Pro Bowl cornerback with some young up-and-coming CBs, and one of the best safety tandems in the league.

It wasn't expected that a rookie would crack the opening line-up. Rather, they drafted for depth and to safeguard against future losses. We'll see in a year or two when we lose a few more players to injury, free agency, and/or decline.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Gotta keep in mind that (1) it takes a few years before you can rate a draft class and (2) the 2012 draft class was drafting for an extremely talent-laden roster. We had three great young QBs, Gore/Hunter, a starting FB, a solid set of WRs, an entrenched set of tight ends and offensive linemen, the best defensive front 7 in the league, a Pro Bowl cornerback with some young up-and-coming CBs, and one of the best safety tandems in the league.

It wasn't expected that a rookie would crack the opening line-up. Rather, they drafted for depth and to safeguard against future losses. We'll see in a year or two when we lose a few more players to injury, free agency, and/or decline.
I mean... think about it... the biggest priority I can think of was Punt Returner and probably a future starting WR. The jury's still out on A.J. Jenkins, but the consensus was that he wouldn't be an immediate contributor.

IMHO, anyone questioning JH's draft ability seriously needs their head examine!
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
If anything it confirms that we need to keep our early picks and trade what we can from the 5th round on. the 4th picks and earlier arent bad. Jury still out on AJ. Looney being groomed as the C and Sindletary demanded the mays pick
The worried ones are also the ones ready to tell you "I told you so".
"My doubts started when Bill Walsh drafted James Owens...and now Baalke picked Jenkins...I'm so darned conflicted I want to trust them but..."
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The 2011 class was great and all but 2012 produced nothing. AJ Jenkins is a bust up to this point, and we got no production from anyone other than LMJ. I am havibg creeping doubts that we wont land the best talent. Anyone else concerned?

NO. They can't hit every time. Look at Walsh's record if you need a refresher. Overall, excellent drafts.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we didnt get much production b/c were stacked and they were only making the team as backups, think about it...
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I mean... think about it... the biggest priority I can think of was Punt Returner and probably a future starting WR. The jury's still out on A.J. Jenkins, but the consensus was that he wouldn't be an immediate contributor.

Originally posted by SD49ers:
NO. They can't hit every time. Look at Walsh's record if you need a refresher. Overall, excellent drafts.

Whiffing on first round picks is unacceptable. If AJ turns in to the second coming off Jerry Rice I will stop being critical.

Do you guys remember who was picked next after AJ Jenkins in the draft? Doug Martin. Next was David Wilson. Coby Fleener and Janoris Jenkins were drafted soon after. Any one of these players could have significantly contributed to our team then and now.

I don't give passes for missing on draft picks, first round picks especially.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Baalke's first three drafts . . . pretty solid

Boy, I'll say! How could we have done better?

Davis, Anthony OT - Franchise RT
Lupati, Mike OG - Franchise LG
Mays, Taylor FS - Singletary pick (and Baalke hated it); free pass - got a late pick for him
Bowman, Navorro ILB - Franchise ILB
Dixon, Anthony RB - Excellent ST player
Byham, Nate TE - Very good TE...for another team
Williams, Kyle WR - Good slot WR and K/PR
Adams, Phillip CB - Was a good CB (with the Bears?)

Smith, Aldon DE - Franchise OLB
Kaepernick, Colin QB - Franchise QB
Culliver, Chris FS/CB - Very good CB and has FS skills (needs mental health counseling)
Hunter, Kendall RB - Terrific pick (future starter post Gore); very versatile
Kilgore, Daniel OG - Probably would be a starter on another team; backup C/G for us
Johnson, Ronald WR - Fail
Jones, Colin FS - Franchise ST player
Miller, Bruce FB - One of the best FB's in the game
Person, Mike OT - Backup OT; has had time to learn a ton
Holcolm, Curtis FS - Another solid ST player for a while (playing for another team also?)

Jenkins, AJ WR - Red-shirted. Harbaugh noted he was learning all three WR positions
James, LaMichael RB - Excellent pick esp. after Hunter went down
Looney, Joe C - Red-shirted; current talk of him possibly replacing Goodwin at C this year
Fleming, Darius OLB - Red-shirted d/t injury but a lot of upside
Robinson, Trent FS - Good ST for now but is a ?-mark
Slowey, Jason C - Loved this pick and sad we gave up on him
Johnson, Cam OLB - Red-shirted d/t injury but a lot of upside
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM ]
I don't doubt Baalke/Harbaugh's talent evaluation at all, but I do question their approach to the 2012 draft. I was one of the few supporters of the Aldon Smith pick and have been supportive of most other Baalke picks at the time they were made as even his biggest reaches had huge upside and flashed on tape. I never could wrap my mind around 2012 though.

The issue I had with 2012 was less bout talent evaluation (which it looks more and more like we missed on many picks which happens). My issue was more about the philosophy of predrafting players. We got too confident in our scouts that we could care less about who was available and the value at each pick. I've never seen a team that picks late in each round make their selections the night before. When you do that you are admitting that you aren't drafting for true value as you know that 31 other teams don't assign a similar or higher value (thus being confident they will fall to you). If you're going to reach for picks, trade back and lower the cost don't be smug and write their name on a card the night before and think you are smarter than everyone else.

I think scouting departments can specialize in drafting certain positions and I personally feel that 2012 was focused on reach picking positions this regime is not great at scouting (wr being one of those positions). You have to be an incredible eye for talent to succeed with that approach and when it fails it blows up your face big time, especially when those players you are reaching for aren't even great system fits.

I'm hoping that Baalke took his lumps in 2012 and learned from his very few mistakes he has made. Jim Harbaugh's comments on the draft and unwillingness to get the 2012 class on the field would suggest he wasn't too pleased with the outcome. I trust Baalke will find a balance between drafting with conviction and drafting for value.
Whiffing on first round picks is unacceptable. If AJ turns in to the second coming off Jerry Rice I will stop being critical.

Do you guys remember who was picked next after AJ Jenkins in the draft? Doug Martin. Next was David Wilson. Coby Fleener and Janoris Jenkins were drafted soon after. Any one of these players could have significantly contributed to our team then and now.

Wait and see. It's only been one season for a "project" type player. We practically red-shirted him, knowing that we already had Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, and Williams in a run-first, two tight-end offense.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
i sure do have doubts... i doubt they really suck!

You sound a little ridiculous. What world do you live in where a passing grade for a drafter requires a 100% success rate? That's literally an impossible standard.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

You sound a little ridiculous. What world do you live in where a passing grade for a drafter requires a 100% success rate? That's literally an impossible standard.

Especially when you want AJ to be the next Jerry. That is ridiculous! No one can live up to that. If he can be at least a 600-800 yards a year as the no. 2 I will be satisfied.