LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

31/34 starting to look like DL/CB to me

I think DL, CB, S makes the most sense to me with the first 3 picks. Unless.. Jamie Collins is somehow there at the end of the 2nd. Then I would have to take him.
You'll be able to see that the philosophy of the organization is to build from the inside out if the first pick is the DL.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
You'll be able to see that the philosophy of the organization is to build from the inside out if the first pick is the DL.

Well I wouldn't read too much into which position we take at #31 compared to #34. If we stay at both those slots, we can effectively pick our two favorite prospects. Choosing which to take first simply comes down to what we think Baltimore and Jacksonville might do.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
what makes you think that it's aligning to be a DL and CB draft? How about OLB or WR?

I like getting a OLB AND RECEIVER my favorites are Jamie Collins N DaRick Rogers
what makes you think that it's aligning to be a DL and CB draft? How about OLB or WR?

I like getting a OLB AND RECEIVER my favorites are Jamie Collins N DaRick Rogers
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I see both as secondary needs. With our first five picks in in the top 93, I expect DL, DL, CB, FS, and TE in some order. OLB and WR in round 4 or later unless someone surprisingly drops (I think we'd pull the trigger on Cordarrelle Patterson).

if we do draft a CB, who do we get rid of: Rogers, culliver, nnamdi, Brown, or cox? Or do you think we would keep 6 corners and 4 safeties?

Get rid of Rogers and get rid of our new safety from St Louis Rams he garbage and keep Whitner for 1 year and then get rid of him if he don't get it together
Originally posted by dre2much2003:

Why waste a high round pick on a luxury like OLB? ?? A.Smith still has a yr or two N Brooks just signed for bigg money he ain't goin nowhere for atleast another two yrs ...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree with your DL, but CB Trufant and Hayden will not be available in the bottom of the first.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I agree with your DL, but CB Trufant and Hayden will not be available in the bottom of the first.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them take Taylor or Alford or Banks either.

WR will be the focus of next years draft due to the loss of Boldin and potentially Crabs for 2014. This year we have our 2 aforementioned starters with 2 guys coming off injury and our to date disappointing 1st rounder form last year. At the least we get by and look to stronger talent next year.

Right now our need is DL to replace Sopoaga and RJF as well as to develop Justin Smith's eventual replacement and provide depth. CB was a GLARING weakness. Both Rodgers and Namdi get a chance to prove they should be on the roster post 2013 but if not a younger, faster and cheaper version will be added this year.

I agree with LieutKaffe we go DL/CB/S with first 3 picks, followed by best TE available and then look to BPA or positioning for 2014 draft. At MOST we keep 6 or 7 draftees this year so it's package to move up or trade future picks in higher rounds. If Baalke plays things right we should be able to draft to fill our holes then set ourselves up with 3 or 4 extra picks in higher rounds for next year and soften the blow of the FA needs in 2014.
Originally posted by Mookster:

WR will be the focus of next years draft due to the loss of Boldin and potentially Crabs for 2014. This year we have our 2 aforementioned starters with 2 guys coming off injury and our to date disappointing 1st rounder form last year. At the least we get by and look to stronger talent next year.

Right now our need is DL to replace Sopoaga and RJF as well as to develop Justin Smith's eventual replacement and provide depth. CB was a GLARING weakness. Both Rodgers and Namdi get a chance to prove they should be on the roster post 2013 but if not a younger, faster and cheaper version will be added this year.

I agree with LieutKaffe we go DL/CB/S with first 3 picks, followed by best TE available and then look to BPA or positioning for 2014 draft. At MOST we keep 6 or 7 draftees this year so it's package to move up or trade future picks in higher rounds. If Baalke plays things right we should be able to draft to fill our holes then set ourselves up with 3 or 4 extra picks in higher rounds for next year and soften the blow of the FA needs in 2014.

Agree with almost all of this. I have the same reasoning as you for why we won't go WR high this year, but I do expect a WR to be added late in the draft with a chance to make the roster and develop. I also agree that one or more 2014 picks may be collected through trade.

My biggest disagreement is with your ceiling of 6 or 7 draftees. I think it will be a little higher. I think we will draft 5 or 6 guys in the first three rounds alone (we currently have 5 such picks but could look to acquire another). After that, I understand your "6 or 7" rationale, but the alternative point of view is that the 4-7 rounds could be used to rebuild some of our special teams and depth. How long do we need to keep the same 4th stringers just for their ST ability? Brock? Spillman? McBath? Dixon? These guys could use some competition.

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Agree with almost all of this. I have the same reasoning as you for why we won't go WR high this year, but I do expect a WR to be added late in the draft with a chance to make the roster and develop. I also agree that one or more 2014 picks may be collected through trade.

My biggest disagreement is with your ceiling of 6 or 7 draftees. I think it will be a little higher. I think we will draft 5 or 6 guys in the first three rounds alone (we currently have 5 such picks but could look to acquire another). After that, I understand your "6 or 7" rationale, but the alternative point of view is that the 4-7 rounds could be used to rebuild some of our special teams and depth. How long do we need to keep the same 4th stringers just for their ST ability? Brock? Spillman? McBath? Dixon? These guys could use some competition.

If I remember correctly Baalke was quoted a couple of weeks ago saying (and I am paraphrasing a bit) "we don't need 13 rookies". This along with the size and make up of our current roster (talent wise) leads me to believe we'll draft 10 players at most with only 6 or 7 having a real shot at making the roster. 2 or 3 could go to the PS along with any undrafted FAs (and we always pick up 1 or 2 of those). That leaves 3 or 4 picks as package to move up this year or trade for future higher round picks in 2014. Given the number of FA's for the 2014 season I REALLY like the idea of moving picks to next year and beyond to keep a good flow of talent and offset the need to over pay for FAs to fill out roster needs.

I would also add that 'hopefully' our 4th stringers including the guys you mention have further developed and are now more capable than a rookie coming in. However I know that may not be the case and when you add the complexity of cost into the equation I get to my 10 (at most) picks for this year. I really think drafting any more than that this year would be a waste unless there are some real bargain values to be had in later rounds.
HarBaalke will draft BPA at 31 & 34. If that happens to be a DE and/or S, then so be it. Roster holes will definitely be adressed in the middle rounds. But I expect they get a groomable CB and situational pass rusher in this draft.
31/34 CB/DL (rather FS/DL)? Welcome to the club Bro. Many of us have been there since day one.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I hope 31/34 are BPA and BPA. Drafting for need is a mistake that early.
Tank Carradine/Jarvis Jones PR (pass rusher)
Zach Ertz TE
45 (trade up 61+93) San Diego
Robert Alford/DJ Hayden CB
74 (trade down for 96 and 99) Kansas City 220=220 value
91 (trade up 99+173+180) New England
Marcus Lattimore RB
96 (acquired)
Montori Hughes NT
99 (acquired and traded)
111 (trade up 128+157) Miami
Da'Rick Rogers WR
131 comp
Dallas Thomas OT
173 traded
180 traded
Sean Renfree/Jeff Tuel QB
246 comp
Glenn Foster DT/DE
252 comp
Ray Polk FS (6-1, 219, 4.42 [3rd fastest FS])
Share 49ersWebzone