There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rumor about 49ers trying to trade to top 15.

I think this is just writers trying to speculate on what the Niners will do simply because they have a lot of picks. The Niners arent going to tip their hands about what they are doing on draft day.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM ]
Yeah, I heard Thomas might be the one or two optimal FS for our club so who knows. I would worry that there are alot of teams looking to get one. Rams, Cowbosy, Steelers, Ravens, Jaguars... it seems like almost any team could use an upgrade. And knowing it's about the only hole we have could make early 2s leapfrog us.

Who knows, though. I'm all over the board with my excitement this week. After I saw some Ziggy highlights I've considered giving all of our draft picks to the Chargers and just having them give us back how many they think we should have. lol not really, tho
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think this is just writers trying to speculate on what the Niners will do simply because they have a lot of picks. The Niners are going to tip their hands about what they are doing on draft day.

I agree this isn't coming directly from the 49ers. But be careful to distinguish between writer speculation and GM speculation (the latter of which is more interesting, imho). Any writer can get on any website or twitter and speculate about what teams will do; heck that's what we all spend our time in this forum doing.

But this report is Jason Cole who had a GM source doing the speculating. So no, it's not like that GM heard about it from Baalke, but it's no different than a lot of the rumors you hear around this time, e.g., "NFL GMs are convinced there's no way Eric Fisher makes it out of the top 5." That's just speculation too, but we're all pretty sure it's gonna come true at this point.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Misleading thread title? Everything I read on twitter included the word "rumor" and I thought the Zone might like to have it passed along. Blow me.

Walter Cherepinsky ‏@walterfootball3m
"@evansilva Here's a rumor that pick-rich #49ers are trying to get to No. 13 or 14. Believed to be targeting D-Lineman" Sheldon Richardson?

If we trade up, Ive thought for months it would be for this guy
I think this is just writers trying to speculate on what the Niners will do simply because they have a lot of picks. The Niners are going to tip their hands about what they are doing on draft day.

I agree this isn't coming directly from the 49ers. But be careful to distinguish between writer speculation and GM speculation (the latter of which is more interesting, imho). Any writer can get on any website or twitter and speculate about what teams will do; heck that's what we all spend our time in this forum doing.

But this report is Jason Cole who had a GM source doing the speculating. So no, it's not like that GM heard about it from Baalke, but it's no different than a lot of the rumors you hear around this time, e.g., "NFL GMs are convinced there's no way Eric Fisher makes it out of the top 5." That's just speculation too, but we're all pretty sure it's gonna come true at this point.

By the way, I think whatever GM speculated that is probably wrong. I think outsiders underestimate the number of holes the 49ers would like to fill in this draft. Everyone just assumes that since the roster is so stacked we will consolidate our picks completely. But I think Baalke will prefer to make 5-6 selections in the first 3 rounds.
The Niners could also be looking to see who's really interested this late in the process. If someone reeks of desperation, maybe even bargain their price down like a Tijuana street walker. Then spit on them after we're done. Wait, what?
If a GM actually is saying we want to move to pick 13 or 14, it has to be one of three things:

1) It's the GM of the Jets or Panthers (who have the 13th and 14th) pick, but they don't want to trade it for what we're offering so they're trying to get more interest.

2) It's the GM of the Bucs (who traded #13 to the Jets). This came out after the Revis deal, so given that movement, the Bucs (or perhaps Jets) make sense as if we had conversations with the Bucs about the pick it might have come up in their negotiations.

3) It's the GM of the Dolphins at 12 and they want to trade out and are just creating rumors to make it seem like there's action right behind them so someone will have to move up to get their player.

My guess is #3. #1 seems the least likely.

Regardless, nobody is fully interested in a pick in that spot until they've seen how the draft has fallen through the first 12 picks. Sounds like BS.

By the way, I think whatever GM speculated that is probably wrong. I think outsiders underestimate the number of holes the 49ers would like to fill in this draft. Everyone just assumes that since the roster is so stacked we will consolidate our picks completely. But I think Baalke will prefer to make 5-6 selections in the first 3 rounds.

I think its more likely that Baalke uses either the 31st or 34th to get a #1 next year. If a lousy team wants to give the Niners a first in 2014 for one of those picks it would be a smart move. Niners would still have 4 picks in first 3 rounds. Makes a lot of sense.
If we're going to 15, why not target Vaccaro, Patterson or Austin?
much rather trade up to 24(Colts) and get Datone Jones tho instead of packaging our draft

Ideally, i want Datone Jones with our first pick and Phillip Thomas with our second.
Our biggest need IMO is FS simply because we lost our starter and our second would be DL. Fortunately, Thomas is rated to go behind Elam, Vaccaro, Reid, and Cyprien.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Man, I hope that doesn't happen. No one knows how old this guy is. For all we know he could be 35 or something.

guy looks like he's up there in years.

Looks really mean.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
If we're going to 15, why not target Vaccaro, Patterson or Austin?
much rather trade up to 24(Colts) and get Datone Jones tho instead of packaging our draft

Ideally, i want Datone Jones with our first pick and Phillip Thomas with our second.
Our biggest need IMO is FS simply because we lost our starter and our second would be DL. Fortunately, Thomas is rated to go behind Elam, Vaccaro, Reid, and Cyprien.

No way would I use the 34th pick for Phillip Thomas. He should still be there when we use our late 2nd rd pick or even the early 3rd rd pick
I'm not a big fan of trading that far up. Especially in this years draft, where I don't see any one prospect that is worth giving up a ton of compensation. It is a very deep draft for sure. If the team wants to unload some picks, I'd rather they trade a few for future 2014 and 2015 draft choices.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM ]
4 Players that would be of good value at 13 or 14 of the 1st Round for our 49ers.

Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Missouri
Barkevious Mingo OLB/PRS LSU
DJ Fluker OT/OG Alabama
Jarvis Jones. OLB/PRS BGeorgia. (If he checks out medically)
If Star slips out of the top 10, we'll be making a play for him. I think Austin, Rhodes, and Carradine are also potential targets.

At FS, we'll try to use our second draft pick.
Originally posted by OCT111981:
4 Players that would be of good value at 13 or 14 of the 1st Round for our 49ers.

Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Missouri
Barkevious Mingo OLB/PRS LSU
DJ Fluker OT/OG Alabama
Jarvis Jones. OLB/PRS BGeorgia. (If he checks out medically)

Gotta disagree with you there. I believe OL and a pure edge rusher (like Mingo or Jones) are positions we could address in the mid-late rounds, but they are not pressing needs. The players I would hope for if we make this move are:

If they unexpectedly fall out of the top 10:
Star Lotulelei
Shariff Floyd

Projected mid-1st prospects:
Sheldon Richardson
Cordarrelle Patterson

Guys that have been projected anywhere from 15-40 but Baalke may love them and have a good inclination that trading to #14 is necessary:
Datone Jones
Tank Carradine