There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rumor about 49ers trying to trade to top 15.

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I don't get the hype with the guy. People consider Hunt raw, this guy is more raw than any player in the draft.

Well another writer speculated that such a trade would be for Sheldon Richardson. So there's that.

I'd be okay with that.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,051
Here is what I found

At least one NFL GM believes the 49ers are interested in moving up to No. 13 or 14 in the draft.

The 49ers have a league-high 13 picks and no more than seven or eight would be serious bets to make one of the NFL's best rosters. The Niners are likely to ship off later-round picks for 2014 selections while also attempting to trade up in the first round. They've been mentioned as a pursuer of West Virginia's Tavon Austin, but Yahoo's Jason Cole reports San Francisco "would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith." BYU's Ziggy Ansah would be a high-upside addition in the first half of round one.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/260050/rumor-49ers-interested-in-moving-to-13-or-14

Does speculation count as a rumor?
Originally posted by buck:
Here is what I found

At least one NFL GM believes the 49ers are interested in moving up to No. 13 or 14 in the draft.

The 49ers have a league-high 13 picks and no more than seven or eight would be serious bets to make one of the NFL's best rosters. The Niners are likely to ship off later-round picks for 2014 selections while also attempting to trade up in the first round. They've been mentioned as a pursuer of West Virginia's Tavon Austin, but Yahoo's Jason Cole reports San Francisco "would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith." BYU's Ziggy Ansah would be a high-upside addition in the first half of round one.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/260050/rumor-49ers-interested-in-moving-to-13-or-14

Does speculation count as a rumor?

Let's go to the actual source

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--falcons--niners-could-be-in-nfl-draft-trade-mix-214722345.html
IMHO the dumbest part about the Ansah speculation is that there's no way he makes it to 13.

Anyway, this thread should be about the fact that a GM believes we're trading to 13 or 14. Not about Ansah.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
The Ziggy interest was bare speculation, but Cole cited a GM source about us moving to 13 or 14. Doesn't mean it will happen, obviously, but it's more than writer speculation at least.

Yeah, and I think it's just a GM playing the guessing game or its a ploy for leverage. If there was any validity to it, I think there would be a name attached to the rumor by the GM. Saying they want to trade up to 13 or 14, when no one even knows who will even be at those spots, seems entirely too vague, and screams someone announcing "someone better jump ahead of us, cause the 49ers, and all their picks, could be looking at your guy!"

My guess is its the Panthers, who I don't believe are the lock for Sheldon Richardson as everyone seems to believe, are trying to coax the Saints or Giants or someone in trading up with them, so they can drop down a few spots, get a couple picks, and get the guy who they really want.
Originally posted by NowImLost:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
The Ziggy interest was bare speculation, but Cole cited a GM source about us moving to 13 or 14. Doesn't mean it will happen, obviously, but it's more than writer speculation at least.

Yeah, and I think it's just a GM playing the guessing game or its a ploy for leverage. If there was any validity to it, I think there would be a name attached to the rumor by the GM. Saying they want to trade up to 13 or 14, when no one even knows who will even be at those spots, seems entirely too vague, and screams someone announcing "someone better jump ahead of us, cause the 49ers, and all their picks, could be looking at your guy!"

My guess is its the Panthers, who I don't believe are the lock for Sheldon Richardson as everyone seems to believe, are trying to coax the Saints or Giants or someone in trading up with them, so they can drop down a few spots, get a couple picks, and get the guy who they really want.

Solid analysis.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by gold49digger:


guy looks like he's up there in years.
LOL that guy looks old as hell

It's really Dikembe Mutombo.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
There is no rumor there. The rumor says they want a DL. The rest is just the writer saying what makes sense to him. Misleading thread title

Misleading thread title? Everything I read on twitter included the word "rumor" and I thought the Zone might like to have it passed along. Blow me.

Walter Cherepinsky ‏@walterfootball3m
"@evansilva Here's a rumor that pick-rich #49ers are trying to get to No. 13 or 14. Believed to be targeting D-Lineman" Sheldon Richardson?

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,051
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
IMHO the dumbest part about the Ansah speculation is that there's no way he makes it to 13.

Anyway, this thread should be about the fact that a GM believes we're trading to 13 or 14. Not about Ansah.

Not worth a thread, in my estimation, given that the fact is that a GM said he believes....
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
IMHO the dumbest part about the Ansah speculation is that there's no way he makes it to 13.

Anyway, this thread should be about the fact that a GM believes we're trading to 13 or 14. Not about Ansah.

Not worth a thread, in my estimation, given that the fact is that a GM said he believes....

This isn't worth a thread in the DRAFT WAR ROOM, just five days BEFORE THE DRAFT?

2. San Francisco will be busy – The 49ers are at No. 31 overall, have 13 draft picks, including two selections each in Rounds 2-5. It's believed by at least one GM that the Niners are interested in moving up to the 13th or 14th overall pick. There is no way that the 49ers can keep more than five or six new draft picks with the way the team is structured right now. Expect GM Trent Baalke to either trade up or trade out for picks in the future. The talk around the league is that the 49ers would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith. The team also needs a safety, No. 2 tight end and could use an impact corner. All of that is possible.

Agree to disagree.
I had a feeling we wanted Richardson all along..I'm scared to know how much we would be giving up to get that high..I would much rather trade at the early 20's for Datone Jones or just wait it out an get Margus Hunt.. Richardson is good ...but i dont think hes worth giving up alot of our draft for him : /
Originally posted by Thechad49:
I had a feeling we wanted Richardson all along..I'm scared to know how much we would be giving up to get that high..I would much rather trade at the early 20's for Datone Jones or just wait it out an get Margus Hunt.. Richardson is good ...but i dont think hes worth giving up alot of our draft for him : /

I tend to agree with you. I like a lot of the possibilities of the one-two punch we could draft at 31 and 34 without giving up our other picks.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by gold49digger:


guy looks like he's up there in years.
LOL that guy looks old as hell

S#*, he at least 30.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
We drafting soft kitty
Probably just rumors really dont want to trade up but if we did I would say it would be for Richardson, Austin or possibly Lotulelei. I'd prefer to keep to keep 31, 34, 61, 74 and 93. If anything I would trade down from 31 or 34 to get more picks.

Normally I am for 3 future starters/backups vs 1 potential super star but this year since we have the 5 picks in the first 93 I wouldn't hate it. We will see but it's probably rumors and speculation by writers just because we have a lot of picks. No credibility by the media these days. They threw our name out for Revis just because we had a lot of picks. Could have been us just calling and seeing what they wanted and they can turn it into 9ers favorites for Revis or 9ers in heavy pursuit of Revis.