There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rumor about 49ers trying to trade to top 15.

Originally posted by FearItself:
It's going to be Carradine with the trade-up, with Richardson, Austin, and Vaccaro as backup plans should someone beat us to the punch. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed with this, however. He's a huge talent, and you can never have enough dominating pass rushers. If Baalke and Tomsula think he's so legit that he's worth the trade then chances are he's worth it.
It's going to be Carradine with the trade-up, with Richardson, Austin, and Vaccaro as backup plans should someone beat us to the punch. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed with this, however. He's a huge talent, and you can never have enough dominating pass rushers. If Baalke and Tomsula think he's so legit that he's worth the trade then chances are he's worth it.

Um, no. Teams don't trade up and then hope the guy they're targeting will still be there, only to go to a backup plan. If their target slips, then they trade up to get him. My money is on Star.
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

Um, no. Teams don't trade up and then hope the guy they're targeting will still be there, only to go to a backup plan. If their target slips, then they trade up to get him. My money is on Star.

I am not impressed with Carradine. I don't buy the hype. I didn't see near enough plays from him made from sheer skill or individual effort to believe he is worthy of 1st or even 2nd round selection. At this point he's a late 2nd - 3rd rounder to me with outstanding physical tools.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I am not impressed with Carradine. I don't buy the hype. I didn't see near enough plays from him made from sheer skill or individual effort to believe he is worthy of 1st or even 2nd round selection. At this point he's a late 2nd - 3rd rounder to me with outstanding physical tools.

Biggest MD/OTC disagreement in history over a prospect? Carradine is #8 overall for him.
After all this Carradine talk... just seems like a scout red herring. Sheldon Richardson was a top 3 DL when the season ended (back when Shariff Floyd was still in the 20s & 30s of mock drafts) and has fallen off. Shariff seems like the secret scouts tried to keep but then got found out, but SR hype has kind of dissipated in the offseason... makes me think he is the guy scouts are trying to shelter and hide so that the hype train doesnt force anyone to move up early for him... just my $.02
Originally posted by 5280High:
After all this Carradine talk... just seems like a scout red herring. Sheldon Richardson was a top 3 DL when the season ended (back when Shariff Floyd was still in the 20s & 30s of mock drafts) and has fallen off. Shariff seems like the secret scouts tried to keep but then got found out, but SR hype has kind of dissipated in the offseason... makes me think he is the guy scouts are trying to shelter and hide so that the hype train doesnt force anyone to move up early for him... just my $.02

Interesting take. I want the draft to get here BAD.
The best of both worlds is scenario is this. First we find out that the team has traded with the Panthers for 14. Then many of us are torn because on the one hand add excitement to draft day but on the other hand it's not a strategy most here approve of. And then we find out a few minutes later we somehow did it for way less than the traditional chart calls for.

Fingers crossed.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Biggest MD/OTC disagreement in history over a prospect? Carradine is #8 overall for him.

While I'm not ready yet to say Carradine will be a total bust, I don't think he will play up to his draft hype. I think he will be a disappointment. Despite his speed, he is often times one of the last people off the ball. He plays upright too much, doesn't disengage quickly, doesn't overpower people, has mediocre awareness and doesn't have the variety of moves in my opinion that you'd want in a 1st round player. I feel like without a lot of work, he's going to get manhandled by NFL linemen, despite his speed and strength.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

While I'm not ready yet to say Carradine will be a total bust, I don't think he will play up to his draft hype. I think he will be a disappointment. Despite his speed, he is often times one of the last people off the ball. He plays upright too much, doesn't disengage quickly, doesn't overpower people, has mediocre awareness and doesn't have the variety of moves in my opinion that you'd want in a 1st round player. I feel like without a lot of work, he's going to get manhandled by NFL linemen, despite his speed and strength.
OTC,
How do you rank the best five pass rushers?
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's fair if you think that. In our offense, how do you think he'd be used? Obviously we saw how Amendola was used in St. Louis and adding Austin, you'd think they'd use him in a similar fashion. But how would WE use him IYO?

I think we'd use him as a slot receiver, and I think you'd see a lot more of the reverses and fly sweeps you mentioned. I think Roman wants to do more of that, but didn't have a guy worthy of them. The first two plays that come to mind are Kyle Williams bobbling the toss in the 2012 NFCCG and Ted Ginn lazily chasing down the fumbled attempt against the Rams this year.

With a guy like Austin, I think we'd do way more of that and have a lot more success.

Plus, he'd immediately provide a huge upgrade in the return game.

That said, I still don't think it's worth trading up to get him.

We shall see... only days away! I would be happy with either one. I really do think some people are slipping on Tank. He's a monster. Not many over here thought all that highly of Aldon when he was drafted either, and most thought of him as a sizable reach.
Here is what I would be thinking if I was in Baalkes shoes.

If Austin or Richardson makes it to 13, he makes a play for them. But that totally depends on who they have higher on their board. If both of them are off the board, I see them going to the DB group, specifically Hayden, Rhodes or Cyprien and Reid. If none of them are available, I would try to make a play for Carradine. If for some reason we aren't able to get him, we trade our first for next years first and most likely draft the BPA outside of qb and rb with our early 2nd.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I think he ends up on the ground too often.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's fair if you think that. In our offense, how do you think he'd be used? Obviously we saw how Amendola was used in St. Louis and adding Austin, you'd think they'd use him in a similar fashion. But how would WE use him IYO?

I think we'd use him as a slot receiver, and I think you'd see a lot more of the reverses and fly sweeps you mentioned. I think Roman wants to do more of that, but didn't have a guy worthy of them. The first two plays that come to mind are Kyle Williams bobbling the toss in the 2012 NFCCG and Ted Ginn lazily chasing down the fumbled attempt against the Rams this year.

With a guy like Austin, I think we'd do way more of that and have a lot more success.

Plus, he'd immediately provide a huge upgrade in the return game.

That said, I still don't think it's worth trading up to get him.

That would be intriguing and the AJ-camp (if there is one) would be pissed. LOL. That said, if we did go this route, it might mean we run less two-TE sets and more 3 and 4 WR sets so that could make some sense as well.
It wont be a defender unless it's Kenny Vacarro...

I think it'll be offense, like Tavon Austin, or Eifert, or maybe even Patterson if they like him...

No way we go with Dl when there are so many in the draft we can capitalize on...

Carradine, I dont like...he scares me...not like "boo" but like...oh no it's kentwan part 2.

I doubt we go with a Nose when we dont use that position very much...we'll see...3 days holla
http://touch.ninernoise.com/ninernoise/#!/entry/2013-nfl-draft-why-star-lotuleilei-should-be-targeted-by,5175c29eda27f5d9d0a91785