There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rumor about 49ers trying to trade to top 15.

I like where our first two picks are. One of them will be a starter, hopefully both.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Yahoo:

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think most of us agree on that one. While I don't agree Austin would be worth it, I can understand it...and would even be somewhat excited about it b/c to me, that means HaRoman gets it and we'll be even more versatile this year (ala Amendola-Harvin-Welker-Sproles).

We are going to have a good draft--and it can not come soon enough.

Seriously...thank God it's THIS week. Finally!
Originally posted by Jcool:
Yahoo:

5 shot in Seattle? Did the Seahawks play a game already? LOL
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
I like where our first two picks are. One of them will be a starter, hopefully both.

The way the Niners scouts find diamonds in the rough (Bowman 3rd round) I think #31 and #34 should net us two very good players. As long as one of those players is not a midget like AJJenkins....

NO REASON TO TRADE UP!! I think if we could score many picks in the 2-4th round, we will be set. Lots of good players available then and we have many holes, like TE, WR, DE, NT, S, OT, ILB, CB (rogers, nnamdi gone soon).... If we could fill all those holes by the 4th round, our team will be beasting!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners' thinking might be to jump ahead of either of the Rams' first round picks (16, 22). Anticipating who the Rams might want and taking him first. Perhaps that means Niners will trade up for a safety or even Tavon.

Why would we trade all the way up to trump the Rams to get a micro-WR? We have a ton of those guys and don't use them in a Harvin-like way under Roman. We could use Williams, Jenkins, James, Hunter, heck, even Manningham out of the Q formation and move them around, all over the field Amendola-style...but we don't. We run a more straight-forward power type offense and as a result (blocking), 3 of these small guys were injured. With the addition of Boldin and Lockette and his run at bigger, taller and more physical CB's (and his own words), Baalke seems to be looking for bigger bodies for a number of reasons.
If the Niners trade up, part of the reason might be to take away a weapon from a division rival. I'm not advocating it. Maybe the Niners stay where they are. At least at #31 and #34:

Tank Carradine/Jarvis Jones PR (pass rusher)
Zach Ertz TE
45 (trade up 61+93) San Diego
Robert Alford/DJ Hayden CB
74 (trade down for 96 and 99) Kansas City 220=220 value
91 (trade up 99+173+180) New England
Marcus Lattimore RB
96 (acquired)
Montori Hughes NT
99 (acquired and traded)
111 (trade up 128+157) Miami
Da'Rick Rogers WR
131 comp
Dallas Thomas OT
173 traded
180 traded
Sean Renfree/Jeff Tuel QB
246 comp
Glenn Foster DT/DE
252 comp
Ray Polk FS (6-1, 219, 4.42 [3rd fastest FS])
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
What is the list of legitimate targets at 14-15? Moving up in this particular draft requires that the player could legitimately contribute from game 1 (like Aldon Smith). Also, they have a realistic shot at being a Pro-Bowler within the next 2-3 years.

Star Lotulelei -
Contribute now: Yes, 3-4 DE and NT rotational player
Pro-Bowler: very likely

Tavon Autin -
Contribute now: Yes, KR/PR, Roman could be very creative his plays
Pro-Bowler: very plausible

Sheldon Richardson -
Contribute now? Yes, as a 3-4 rotational DE,
Pro-Bowler: Yes
(seems better in a 4-3, but could be very solid)

Xavier Rhodes -
Contribute now? probably starts as 3 or 4 CB, answer at FS?
Pro-Bowler: Possible, but is he good enough to trade up?
great size and speed, Niners are looking for a big CB

Tyler Eifert
Contribute now? Yes, upgrade over Walker
Pro Bowler? Consensus #1 TE
Add's a big red zone target, better than Kelce without the issues

Kenny Vaccaro
Contribute now? He'd be the favorite for day one start at FS
Pro Bowler: Consensus #1 FS
Not as good as Earl Thomas, but he'd be drafted much higher
I had a dream over the weekend that the 49ers traded up to #5 and drafted Geno Smith. In my dream my reaction was like:

I woke up and was like:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
If the Niners trade up, part of the reason might be to take away a weapon from a division rival. I'm not advocating it. Maybe the Niners stay where they are. At least at #31 and #34:

Tank Carradine/Jarvis Jones PR (pass rusher)
Zach Ertz TE
45 (trade up 61+93) San Diego
Robert Alford/DJ Hayden CB
74 (trade down for 96 and 99) Kansas City 220=220 value
91 (trade up 99+173+180) New England
Marcus Lattimore RB
96 (acquired)
Montori Hughes NT
99 (acquired and traded)
111 (trade up 128+157) Miami
Da'Rick Rogers WR
131 comp
Dallas Thomas OT
173 traded
180 traded
Sean Renfree/Jeff Tuel QB
246 comp
Glenn Foster DT/DE
252 comp
Ray Polk FS (6-1, 219, 4.42 [3rd fastest FS])

Gotcha! And nice draft BTW:
so did we trade up or what
I agree with those who have said Eifert could be a target in that range. Still think it's unlikely we do this, though.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Yahoo:

Now maybe those who said I was out of line for simply starting a thread about this can STFU. Just because you don't believe a rumor, or you disagree with the strategy it contains, doesn't make it not a rumor.
You trade up for a draft crush. We are going to draft D the first picks, I don't see us trading up.

Not going to happen.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

guy looks like he's up there in years.
LOL that guy looks old as hell

It's really Dikembe Mutombo.

He barely started playing football doe
On Thursday, the Niners will trade up with their draft-day buddies the Carolina Panthers.

Not gonna look it up, but I know the two teams have executed trades at least twice in the last 5-6 years, once involving the Panthers taking DE Everette Brown in the second.