LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

2013 Cap Space Busted ?!

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Does anyone know what is the latest in our cap space situation ? I have done some research of my own and each source has a slightly different figure :

• Spotrac.com - $772,480
  • NinerCapHell.com - $913,571

Whatever it is, it seems our cap is pretty much busted. Could a trade be likely during the draft to unload more money ?
I see one or more players restructuring before or after the draft.
And one surprise cut such as Whitner or Goodwin.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

You know what ? I have been thinking may be we can trade Whitner and Rogers, that's a heck a lot of money tied up there, to be exact, $4.93 mil + $7.33 mil = $12.26 mil and get a couple of picks back in the process if possible or use them to help trading up. Not sure whether anyone would want Rogers though at his age. As for Whitner, I don't think it would be a surprise cut at all. In fact, I was hoping to cut him and Rogers in order to keep Dashon.
Rogers being traded would make me very happy
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i bet both those guys will not be on the team for next year.. in regards to this coming year I know it is a stretch but you know, if some kids play lights out in camp and pre season maybe both will be cut for this coming year??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Rogers being traded would make me very happy

i am willing to give him another year. everyone was pretty horrid in the super bowl and I know he was not lights out in the regular season but i am willing. Now of course if he stinks it up early, that is a different conversation we have
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Tarell Brown could be traded. He's in the last year of his deal and the 49ers probably wont be able to afford him with Iupati, Aldon Smith, Crabtree, and Kaepernick coming up. There are also some contracts that can be restructured or extended before the season starts, like Justin Smith.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:
Tarell Brown could be traded. He's in the last year of his deal and the 49ers probably wont be able to afford him with Iupati, Aldon Smith, Crabtree, and Kaepernick coming up. There are also some contracts that can be restructured or extended before the season starts, like Justin Smith.

Yea, but T Brown is the only guy who is any good. LOL.
Rascal, NCH is my site, and my numbers. and FWIW, OverTheCap.com, which I prefer, as I know the owner over a group on yahoo about contracts has us around $912k under.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Yea, but T Brown is the only guy who is any good. LOL.

I would not be too concerned about the cap.

Trent Baalke and Paraag Marathe do understand the cap, and with no insult intended, they probably understand it better than AB.

The crunch is coming in 2015. They have two years to line up the ducks.

T Brown and Justin Smith are the two major free agents next year.
I would guess, we can extend Brown, Smith, and Iupati this year. Aldon's contract can be pushed back to 2016.

Kaepernick plus one or two more can be extended during the 2015 season.

Do not panic, caphell is gone and it ain't coming back.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Rascal, NCH is my site, and my numbers. and FWIW, OverTheCap.com, which I prefer, as I know the owner over a group on yahoo about contracts has us around $912k under.

Thanks for the info AB83Rules !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I would not be to concerned about the cap.

Trent Baalke and Paraag Marathe do understand the cap, and with no insult intended, they probably understand it better than AB.

The crunch is coming in 2015. They have two years to line up the ducks.

T Brown and Justin Smith are the two major free agents next year.
I would guess, we can extend Brown, Smith, and Iupati this year. Aldon's contract can be pushed back to 2016.

Kaepernick plus one or two more can be extended during the 2015 season.

Do not panic, caphell is gone and it ain't coming back.

Yea, I am just curious how they are going to make it work that's all. If we only have $900 K left and we are yet to sign the new rookies from the draft plus Charles Woodson who has now decided to cut his demands in order to play for us.
Originally posted by Rascal:

You know what ? I have been thinking may be we can trade Whitner and Rogers, that's a heck a lot of money tied up there, to be exact, $4.93 mil + $7.33 mil = $12.26 mil and get a couple of picks back in the process if possible or use them to help trading up. Not sure whether anyone would want Rogers though at his age. As for Whitner, I don't think it would be a surprise cut at all. In fact, I was hoping to cut him and Rogers in order to keep Dashon.

Most of Rogers' cap hit is tied up in guarantees, since he re-did his deal past year to help is extend Bowman. Trading him wouldn't get us anywhere near $7million in cap relief. Whitner sucks against height, but we have complicated coverage schemes, and that makes it tough to replace both safeties in the same year.
Everyone on the roster now won't be there in September. More restructures and cuts will be coming.
Share 49ersWebzone