There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How much single-high to we play?

Scouting all these S for the draft made me realize I didn't pay close enough attention to our coverage schemes last year and which were most common. Both Whitner and Goldson were rarely responsible for more than half the field, right?
I don't think we played very much single-high safety. From what I understand, we primarily played Cover 2 Man, with both safeties deep and the corners playing man coverage.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't think we played very much single-high safety. From what I understand, we primarily played Cover 2 Man, with both safeties deep and the corners playing man coverage.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for confirming. I'm starting to think Phillip Thomas is the next FS. Only knock seems to be speed, but Goldson was an All-Pro without being a burner. Thomas has all-around skills and a knack for picks as well. For a couple weeks I was on the "Amerson converted to FS" bandwagon because of his speed and ball skills, but I think we'll draft a more NFL-ready safety.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Being able to run with just a single guy in deep center field is something I've always fantasized about. I don't think it's feasible in today's pass happy NFL, though. Especially if we're going to see more aggressive press man coverage from the corners....

I just always wanted to use the strong safety as a "joker". Ah, well... as long as the defense works, I'll live.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Throughout the season we were mainly cover two and didnt give up amny deep balls. the Superbowl however seems like we did do more single high than usual. Seems like Whitner was always the one back there getting torched. Is it possible we out thought ourselves in the SB?
well actually we play it a lot, We run rober a lot, so whitner would be closer to the line and help in run support, and goldson would play high saftey. Will see if we just go standard two man deap if they don't trust a rookie to cover the entire field like they did with goldson! Mainly run man two deep saftey, or we run man rober with whitner short, or we run cover two!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]