There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Have Niners tipped their hand to who they are going to draft?

Originally posted by greywolf447:
It seems that everyone from their dogs to supposed draft experts is presuming that we are drafting DL or Safety with the first pick. Given the past few drafts the one thing the Niners have not been is predictable. Given this I started to think about what we did in free agency. The key isn't who we got in FA, but who we didn't get.

Exhibit A: Percy Harvin. As I understand it we offered the Vikings our 1st rd pick for him but Seattle's pick was higher than ours.
No where has it been stated that the niners offered a first round pick. BTW-Seattle gave up more than a first round pick. The niners were only inquiring. They could never afford Harvin, if they gave up what the vikings wanted and couldn't secure a new contract extension the niners would blow a first round and possibly a 3rd and 4th round which is what would be needed to beat Seattle's offer. The niners were looking for a wr only because Kyle and Manningham's recoveries are unknown. They were looking for a wr and they got one. So they went out and got Boldin. Besides, Percy has a medical history of being injury or hurt easily both major and minor, not to mention very bad migranes that at times affects his play.

Exhibit B: Joshua Cribs. We went after him as well and did't get him.
Josh Cribs, is a different issue he is a wr yes, but not all that great a wr, he is like a replacement for Ginn, but with better receiving abilities that can return punts.

To all those draft pundits that think we need to get a Safety or DL in the 1st round. Here is some history for you. The highest DL we drafted on our team is a 3rd rounder. Thats Ray McDonald. As for Safety Dashon Goldson was a 4th rounder.
If you are going to use history, you cannot go that far back! Why? Because technically, Ballke only goes back three years, while as a whole, JH and Ballke only go back 2 years. If you want to use history, The niners have always drafted need first if the talent is there. Going back three years when Baalke was only an interim manager on a trial basis, We needed linemen so that singletary could implement the ground and pound, so that is what Baalke did. We got two linemen. Who knows what Baalke would have done if Singletary shut his pie hole and realize when it comes to scouting and knowing talent he is retard (the man thought Willis would never amount to being a superstar LB), and let Baalke do his job with the 2nd round pick. We needed a rush LB and QB and he got both. We needed a wr and got one. Not just one people wanted. LMJ wasn't a need-the reason we just went BPA and most explosive, was because the niners felt they were in a good position following a near loss to the eventual SB champion Giants. They were drafting someone to replace Ginn. Which was a secondary need. In all three cases they addressed the greatest needs first. Baalke is unpredictable yes, only because of who he rates high on the niners draft board compared to what everyone else says.

Another reason I think we draft Tavon or Cordarrelle Patterson is this. This draft is deep at both S and DL. Our scout team is pretty darn good at finding dimonds in the rough. Players with Tavon's and Cordarrelle's skill set are very hard to find. I might be wrong, but I think my logic makes sense. We have the fire power to move up to get a player we want. WHY NOT! GO NINERS!!!!
Yes the draft is deep in S and DL, but at pick number 31 and 34, it all depends on who is availble, If the Safety talent or DL talent is better, they would go that way, if wr then so be it. However, just because the talent is deeper, doesn't mean you put it off if on the big board they (wr that is available) are lessor in value just to get a wr.

Now I do understand that the niners are interested, but I don't believe they are going to motguage the future on Tavon, if he comes near the 31st pick they may move up to draft him, I think the niners would have move to before the rams to pick him up or Vacarro. Especially if you are only grooming them for the future.

Here is another thing to think about, some organizations have a reputation drafting great players at certain position and poorly on others, so if Jenkins is being viewed as bust, then what are the chances that the next wr won't be, same gm, same scouting and personnel people. I think Jenkins is like crabtree, needs time, and this is with crab being a high pick that he was and being forced in there because of his high draft status. Didn't get a chance cause the niners had so many people in front of him. Not saying they will or won't, all depends who falls and is on their big board and who will contribute more based on their system.

On the Video there were 49er Scouts at Fresno States Pro Day i wonder if there Interested in Phillip Thomas
Originally posted by 49ers808:
When Tavon Austin shreds the NFL and is in the running for if not wins ROY I hope all these haters that say he's a midget, not durable enough yada yada come back for some crow. I'll gladly eat mines if he doesn't.
A players success not only depends on his ability but how the coaches use him. If he is a ST returner, being teamed with a guy like Seely, skies the limit, someone that ranks at the bottom and doesn't take ST seriously, minimal success. Doesn't get to be the man, success minimize. If hunter wasn't hurt, LMJ, would also be viewed as a bad draft pick. Opportunity, we see it all the time, would Brady have succeeded if Bledsoe hadn't gone down, maybe not.
Yeah already started this. Offense is where it's going to be.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/172543-evolve-dont-revolve/
Value is what the draft is all about. i just don't think the value of a mid to early 1st Rd pick for either Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson is there. The 49ers drafted LaMichael James and Kendall Hunter where they did because they represented good value in those draft spots. The value of the spot needs to match up with the talents of the player.
it seems when you just draft on need you either reach, or you just draft a mediocre player. I think they'll go best player available...but, in the end...who knows...we'll see on Draft day. Hopefully, things fall our way. Victory loves preperation.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
It seems that everyone from their dogs to supposed draft experts is presuming that we are drafting DL or Safety with the first pick. Given the past few drafts the one thing the Niners have not been is predictable. Given this I started to think about what we did in free agency. The key isn't who we got in FA, but who we didn't get.

Exhibit A: Percy Harvin. As I understand it we offered the Vikings our 1st rd pick for him but Seattle's pick was higher than ours.
No where has it been stated that the niners offered a first round pick. BTW-Seattle gave up more than a first round pick. The niners were only inquiring. They could never afford Harvin, if they gave up what the vikings wanted and couldn't secure a new contract extension the niners would blow a first round and possibly a 3rd and 4th round which is what would be needed to beat Seattle's offer. The niners were looking for a wr only because Kyle and Manningham's recoveries are unknown. They were looking for a wr and they got one. So they went out and got Boldin. Besides, Percy has a medical history of being injury or hurt easily both major and minor, not to mention very bad migranes that at times affects his play.

Exhibit B: Joshua Cribs. We went after him as well and did't get him.
Josh Cribs, is a different issue he is a wr yes, but not all that great a wr, he is like a replacement for Ginn, but with better receiving abilities that can return punts.

To all those draft pundits that think we need to get a Safety or DL in the 1st round. Here is some history for you. The highest DL we drafted on our team is a 3rd rounder. Thats Ray McDonald. As for Safety Dashon Goldson was a 4th rounder.
If you are going to use history, you cannot go that far back! Why? Because technically, Ballke only goes back three years, while as a whole, JH and Ballke only go back 2 years. If you want to use history, The niners have always drafted need first if the talent is there. Going back three years when Baalke was only an interim manager on a trial basis, We needed linemen so that singletary could implement the ground and pound, so that is what Baalke did. We got two linemen. Who knows what Baalke would have done if Singletary shut his pie hole and realize when it comes to scouting and knowing talent he is retard (the man thought Willis would never amount to being a superstar LB), and let Baalke do his job with the 2nd round pick. We needed a rush LB and QB and he got both. We needed a wr and got one. Not just one people wanted. LMJ wasn't a need-the reason we just went BPA and most explosive, was because the niners felt they were in a good position following a near loss to the eventual SB champion Giants. They were drafting someone to replace Ginn. Which was a secondary need. In all three cases they addressed the greatest needs first. Baalke is unpredictable yes, only because of who he rates high on the niners draft board compared to what everyone else says.

Another reason I think we draft Tavon or Cordarrelle Patterson is this. This draft is deep at both S and DL. Our scout team is pretty darn good at finding dimonds in the rough. Players with Tavon's and Cordarrelle's skill set are very hard to find. I might be wrong, but I think my logic makes sense. We have the fire power to move up to get a player we want. WHY NOT! GO NINERS!!!!
Yes the draft is deep in S and DL, but at pick number 31 and 34, it all depends on who is availble, If the Safety talent or DL talent is better, they would go that way, if wr then so be it. However, just because the talent is deeper, doesn't mean you put it off if on the big board they (wr that is available) are lessor in value just to get a wr.

Now I do understand that the niners are interested, but I don't believe they are going to motguage the future on Tavon, if he comes near the 31st pick they may move up to draft him, I think the niners would have move to before the rams to pick him up or Vacarro. Especially if you are only grooming them for the future.

Here is another thing to think about, some organizations have a reputation drafting great players at certain position and poorly on others, so if Jenkins is being viewed as bust, then what are the chances that the next wr won't be, same gm, same scouting and personnel people. I think Jenkins is like crabtree, needs time, and this is with crab being a high pick that he was and being forced in there because of his high draft status. Didn't get a chance cause the niners had so many people in front of him. Not saying they will or won't, all depends who falls and is on their big board and who will contribute more based on their system.


Agreed. Harvin and Cribbs would have different roles with the 49ers. Cribbs would be Ginn 2.0 with maybe a little better hands. I personally do not see Baalke moving up to get a WR or getting a WR in round 1.
trade up is happening no way we draft 13 guys go get him
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
trade up is happening no way we draft 13 guys go get him

Not necessarily. We could trade back into 2014.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,900
If we trade up, I certainly hope that it is not for a WR.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Sick of all the man-love for Tavon Austin.


Seriously. It happens every year.

Someone's unofficial 40 time gets reported as faster than it actually was at the combine and 15% of the Webzone suddenly decides that person is the most amazing player ever and spends the next few months hunting out every way possible to confirm that fact.

I don't think Austin will be a bust, but it's absolutely insane how much he has been overvalued since the combine.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
trade up is happening no way we draft 13 guys go get him

Not necessarily. We could trade back into 2014.

Thank you. I think we end up with more picks next year than we have this year.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Sick of all the man-love for Tavon Austin.

There is a big difference in drafting an undersized rookie who played in a gimmick offense with the top QB in the draft and trading for a proven vet like Harvin. Austin has major bust potential and I highly doubt Baalke will take that risk.

MAYBE, if Austin falls to 31 and is BPA, we take a chance on him. But I see no way in hell we trade up for him.

Gimmick offense? Isnt that what people would have called the pistol last year? Thats right and Harbaugh and company took that and applied it to the NFL offense. The NFL is evolving and gimmick offenses in the college game may start to be used somewhat in the NFL one thin I promise you is that if we draft a Tavon Austin or someone like him we will look at what he was successful at in college and if there is something their offense that their college team used that seemed some what gimmicky but was successful for that player our coaching staff has shown they will not be afraid of incorporating it into our offense some if they feel it will be successful. Austin specifically changes direction more quickly that either Cobb or Harvin or desean Jackson. Those are the players he is compared to I thnk he could be better if he goes to a team that knows how to use his skillset properly because not only does this make him extremely elusive with the ball in his hands but gives him the potential to be a virtually unstopable slot reciever with how shifty he is with his elite ability to change direction coupled with his abbility to just run past people.
That being said I don't know we will get Austin he seems to be projected just to highly for me to think we will trade up for him. That being said Patterson's stock seems to be dropping so if either one is available in th mid 20's i would not be surprised to see us drafting one of them. i do think regardless of weather it is one of those 2 or one later we will draft someone with a similar skill set. There are only a handfull in the draft but I think that we will draft one even if we cant get austin or patterson early players that fill the skillset that I see available in the draft are.

Austin or Patterson in the 1st round

Robert Woods or Markus Wheaton in the early to mid rounds.

Marqise Goodwin or Ace Sanders in the mid to late rounds.

I do expect we will draft one of those 6 player who can play receiver, take end arounds or plays out of the backfield to the house, and return kicks and punts well. These are the 6 player i believe fit that description and so i think we will get one of them!
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Sick of all the man-love for Tavon Austin.

Seriously. It happens every year.

Someone's unofficial 40 time gets reported as faster than it actually was at the combine and 15% of the Webzone suddenly decides that person is the most amazing player ever and spends the next few months hunting out every way possible to confirm that fact.

I don't think Austin will be a bust, but it's absolutely insane how much he has been overvalued since the combine.

I have been talking about us drafting Austin well before the combine. Put in his tape or go to youtube or something just watch him it is not just his speed but how quick and elusive he is with it that makes him special.