There are 244 users in the forums

Have Niners tipped their hand to who they are going to draft?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
Safety and DL aren't dynamic? Why do people always get so fixated on offensive skill positions? If we draft a WR 1st, we are basically saying that AJ Jenkins is a bust. Personally, I want to give him one more year before making that decision. Spending 1st round picks on WR on back to back seasons is a waste imo.

I am sorry, you make it sound like we owe AJ Jenkins the world. Let's be serious here for a moment, whether AJ turns out to be a bust is all in his own hands. You don't think we will play him if he shows up at training camp and plays like a stud ? Ultimately, his fate is in his own hands. But, as an organization, you will have to go by the coaches in the way they view and judge his progress or the lack of whichever the case. If there is any element of doubt, it is Baalke and Harbaugh's jobs to make sure we have ourselves covered. Plus it won't hurt if we draft another WR, what if 2 guys go down with blown ACLs again ?! We literally ran out of wideouts last year when we had to field Chad Hall.
AJ will emerge as a great slot receiver this season. Don't believe me? Just watch!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If Baalke and Harbaugh really wanted Harvin we had all the ammo we needed to get him. Seattle gave up a first and a seventh rounder. You can't tell me that if Baalke offered our first and one of our extra 2nd or 3rd rounders that the Vikings wouldn't have jumped all over it. Then we'd have to choke down $10 million per year to keep him around.

That said, I believe the 49ers will draft one offensive playmaker by no later than the 61st pick.

Actually, they gave up a third in 2014 too
When Tavon Austin shreds the NFL and is in the running for if not wins ROY I hope all these haters that say he's a midget, not durable enough yada yada come back for some crow. I'll gladly eat mines if he doesn't.
OP, I've fought for this guy in other threads and will now just let his play do the talking. Let's see who has a better year, him or a lot of these guys favorite Jesse Williams. Matter of fact a better career since apparently Austin ain't durable enough
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I am sorry, you make it sound like we owe AJ Jenkins the world. Let's be serious here for a moment, whether AJ turns out to be a bust is all in his own hands. You don't think we will play him if he shows up at training camp and plays like a stud ? Ultimately, his fate is in his own hands. But, as an organization, you will have to go by the coaches in the way they view and judge his progress or the lack of whichever the case. If there is any element of doubt, it is Baalke and Harbaugh's jobs to make sure we have ourselves covered. Plus it won't hurt if we draft another WR, what if 2 guys go down with blown ACLs again ?! We literally ran out of wideouts last year when we had to field Chad Hall.

We don't owe AJ anything, but drafting another WR in the 1st is basically giving up on him. The problem is that we only have slots for 2 WR in our offense. So if AJ Jenkins lives up to his draft status, plus we have Crabtree and Bolden, then any new first round draftee would be behind those 3. Having first round picks that may not even make the 45 man game day roster is not a good use of talent, especially when any decent DL or safety that we draft will make the 45 man game day roster easily.

Now what happens if we lose 2 WR this year? First that is one reason why we got Boldin. We also have Kyle Williams returning and Mario Manningham will hopefully be available later in the season. Sure, go ahead and draft another WR as insurance, but not a high pick that should be playing right away.
I'd prefer Da'Rick Rogers instead of Tavon simply based on value. Another 1st round wideout isn't a good use of resources. Using a late second or third on Da'Rick is a great use of resources. Use the first pick on a safety or d-lineman. Beside that this offense is great as is and people seem to forget we traded for ANQUAN BOLDIN. We're set at wideout guys, no worries.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
If Star Lotuleilei fell to 15 do you think Baalke would go after him?

I dont know if baalkie would, but i certainly would.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

This. If Tavon ain't there and he is I'd be equally happy. Well almost
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This. If Tavon ain't there and he is I'd be equally happy. Well almost

I would not move up for Tavon though. f**k that. I dont understand the obsession. we need a big physical RZ target. Not another small slot receiver.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM ]

i agree ive been telling everyone who will listen if he gets to 15-17 hes ours theyl move up
They probably did tip their hand by showing interest in a couple of guys with open field capabilities. They also probably tipped their hand by bringing in and showing interest in a pass rusher, a couple of safeties, a corner, and a versatile DT/DE.

I'm preeeeetty sure we might go in one of those directions in the draft.
I would not move up for Tavon though. f**k that. I dont understand the obsession. we need a big physical RZ target. Not another small slot receiver.

Here is the thing. The game is evolving. He is a play maker. You can line him up any where. When we run the bug eye formation I am sure he would line up in the back field and motion outside. He can so many things. Think of the way that the Saints used Reggie Bush or the way the packers used Randall Cobb. I think Roman and Harbaugh can think of some creative ways to use him and get him in open space. As I mention before this draft is deep in DL and S! We can always draft those positions in the later rounds. There however are not very many players in the draft with Tavons skill set. Isaac Sopoaga was a 4th rounder and so was Dashon Goldson. We have had success drafting these positions in the later rounds. For me it is worth it.
Originally posted by greywolf447:

Here is the thing. The game is evolving. He is a play maker. You can line him up any where. When we run the bug eye formation I am sure he would line up in the back field and motion outside. He can so many things. Think of the way that the Saints used Reggie Bush or the way the packers used Randall Cobb. I think Roman and Harbaugh can think of some creative ways to use him and get him in open space. As I mention before this draft is deep in DL and S! We can always draft those positions in the later rounds. There however are not very many players in the draft with Tavons skill set. Isaac Sopoaga was a 4th rounder and so was Dashon Goldson. We have had success drafting these positions in the later rounds. For me it is worth it.

I understand your thought process, but we dont need austin. We have a plenty dynamic offense as it is. What we are lacking is RZ efficiancy. That was perfectly clear in the superbowl and throughout the season. Hopefully Boldin can help there, but i think we need both a RZ TE, and a RZ WR. It is simply not worth the value it would tak to get Austin for our team. The only WR's worth that kind of value are top 5 WR's in this league and non of them are the type of Wr's austin is. And his size frankly scares the s**t out of me. The guy is two inches shorter than Desean Jackson.
I Hope 49ers get Phillip Thomas from Fresno State in the Later Rounds
Share 49ersWebzone