There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Have Niners tipped their hand to who they are going to draft?

I think they tipped their hands that WR's are incredibly difficult to draft.

1. JJ Stoke
2. Rashaun Woods
3. AJ" Jenkins

DL has a higher hit rate for success in the draft. They will go DL
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Still see no evidence we "offered our 1st", to me that's Baalke just doing his due diligence and seeing what the Vikings would take. Baalke probably found Seattle offered and wasn't going to do that.

I know I read it some where or saw it on espn or the NFL Network. Either way the point is that we wanted him and tried to get Joshua Cribs too. This tells us that the Niners are interested in getting this type of player. Those type of players are hard to find and not easily acquired. We have the picks to trade up if need be. Lets face it. We are not going to use all our picks in this years draft. Why not make a trade that will make our offense even more dynamic. Look at what the Pats have done over the years. They kept trading picks to acquire more pics in the following draft until they got to a point where they needed to use them like they did last year. We are a very talented team as it is.We do not need to use all these picks. We already have at least 8 picks in next years draft as well. I think we will trade up to get a player Harbaalke wants. I think they want Tavon Austin. I guess we will find out less than a week.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think they tipped their hands that WR's are incredibly difficult to draft.

1. JJ Stoke
2. Rashaun Woods
3. AJ" Jenkins

DL has a higher hit rate for success in the draft. They will go DL

JJ and Rashaun were not drafted under Harbaalke regime and the jury is still out on AJ. Tavon is not the same type of player. Roman would line him up all over the place and he would be someone the D will need to account for at all times.
Originally posted by eeyeskii:
Harbaugh and Baalke has seen what Randall Cobb has done for the Packers this past year and Tavon Austin has basically the same skill set. They both could line up in the backfield, in the slot and can return kicks. With the addition of Percy Harvin in our division, Baalke might want himself a "swiss knife" as well.

Thank you for seeing my point!!
Originally posted by eeyeskii:
Harbaugh and Baalke has seen what Randall Cobb has done for the Packers this past year and Tavon Austin has basically the same skill set. They both could line up in the backfield, in the slot and can return kicks. With the addition of Percy Harvin in our division, Baalke might want himself a "swiss knife" as well.

Good point. Tavon in the traditional sense isn't worth trading up for but in this evolving league and the need for an explosive offense, these types of players will be a hot commodity. I would not be mad at all if we do trade up for this player. I have said this all offseason and I will not backdown from this.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,860
Personally, I see the 49ers being quite predictable in the draft. 3 years ago they needed OL, so they draft 2 in the first round. 2 years ago they needed pash rush, so they drafted an OLB. Last year they needed a WR, so they drafted a WR. What has been unpredictable is the player that they choose to fill those needs. They probably will draft a DL or Safety first, but they will probably surprise us on which one they pick.
Rather than give up too much draft capital for Austin, I might have just tried to nab Reggie Bush in free agency. I am sure he wouldn't have minded coming back to Cali. Besides, I wonder just what we might have in Lamichael James if we can somehow utilize him more as a receiving threat and putting him in space. Darren Sproles sure plays that role well in NO
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM ]
The NFL is a big man's game. Trent Balke and Jim Harbaugh like tough, physical, versatile players that allow them to dictate their will on the opposing offense or defense they are playing. Personally, I don't see them trading up for either Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson. Both of them are exceptional open field runners. But, Tavon Austin lacks size which will pose significant durability questions long-term in the NFL and Cordarrelle Patterson needs significant refinement as a receiver in terms of his hands and route running.

4 players the 49ers may consider if they decide trade up to the middle or upper part of the 1st. Round due to all the draft choices they have.

Sheldon Richardson DL Missouri
Barkevious Mingo OLB/PRS LSU
DJ Fluker OT/OG Alabama
Jarvis Jones OLB/PRS Georgia (If the team doctors feel he checks out medically)
31. San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco is another team with the ammunition to make a move up draft boards; they are expected to target a defensive back but have some flexibility due to the depth of their roster. Prospects they have investigated include California receiver Keenan Allen, Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden, and Louisiana Tech receiver Quinton Patton, in addition to Cornellius Carradine, Johnathan Cyprien, Jamar Taylor, and Robert Woods.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/patriots-could-find-draft-board-limited-in-first-round.html#more-24514
Originally posted by fryet:
Personally, I see the 49ers being quite predictable in the draft. 3 years ago they needed OL, so they draft 2 in the first round. 2 years ago they needed pash rush, so they drafted an OLB. Last year they needed a WR, so they drafted a WR. What has been unpredictable is the player that they choose to fill those needs. They probably will draft a DL or Safety first, but they will probably surprise us on which one they pick.

I think when we drafted Aldon that there are people and draft pundits that thought we were going to draft the other Missouri Tiger. Blaine Gabbert, Point being we do not have a lot of weak links. This draft is deep at both position of need in Safety and DL. I say we spurge and pick up a safety and DL later in the draft and trade up to get a dynamic player.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,860
Safety and DL aren't dynamic? Why do people always get so fixated on offensive skill positions? If we draft a WR 1st, we are basically saying that AJ Jenkins is a bust. Personally, I want to give him one more year before making that decision. Spending 1st round picks on WR on back to back seasons is a waste imo.
Originally posted by OCT111981:
The NFL is a big man's game. Trent Balke and Jim Harbaugh like tough, physical, versatile players that allow them to dictate their will on the opposing offense or defense they are playing. Personally, I don't see them trading up for either Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson. Both of them are exceptional open field runners. But, Tavon Austin lacks size which will pose significant durability questions long-term in the NFL and Cordarrelle Patterson needs significant refinement as a receiver in terms of his hands and route running.

4 players the 49ers may consider if they decide trade up to the middle or upper part of the 1st. Round due to all the draft choices they have.

Sheldon Richardson DL Missouri
Barkevious Mingo OLB/PRS LSU
DJ Fluker OT/OG Alabama
Jarvis Jones OLB/PRS Georgia (If the team doctors feel he checks out medically)

Then why did he draft LaMichael James and Kendall Hunter? Durability and production matter to Harbaalke. Tavon has played 4 years at a big school in a major conference and NEVER missed a game!!! His production speaks for itself!
Originally posted by fryet:
Safety and DL aren't dynamic? Why do people always get so fixated on offensive skill positions? If we draft a WR 1st, we are basically saying that AJ Jenkins is a bust. Personally, I want to give him one more year before making that decision. Spending 1st round picks on WR on back to back seasons is a waste imo.

You didn't read my entire post. AJ and Tavon are different players. Tavon will take over the roll that Ginn never materialized into. Tavon is not just a WR. He is a WR/RB/PR/KR. AJ is just a WR. Period. How many recievers do we have signed beyond next year???
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,860
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by fryet:
Safety and DL aren't dynamic? Why do people always get so fixated on offensive skill positions? If we draft a WR 1st, we are basically saying that AJ Jenkins is a bust. Personally, I want to give him one more year before making that decision. Spending 1st round picks on WR on back to back seasons is a waste imo.

You didn't read my entire post. AJ and Tavon are different players. Tavon will take over the roll that Ginn never materialized into. Tavon is not just a WR. He is a WR/RB/PR/KR. AJ is just a WR. Period. How many recievers do we have signed beyond next year???

Crabtree and AJ Jenkins are signed past this year and hopefully will be our starting WR. We already have plenty of RB. Kyle Williams is our PR. LMJ is our KR. While some depth in KR/PR would be useful, I wouldn't want to spend a first for that position. Instead, draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th in case AJ Jenkins doesn't work out. Spend our top picks where we have greater need - DL and Safety.

It is always fun to draft skill position players, but other areas of our team sorely need more talent.
If Baalke and Harbaugh really wanted Harvin we had all the ammo we needed to get him. Seattle gave up a first and a seventh rounder. You can't tell me that if Baalke offered our first and one of our extra 2nd or 3rd rounders that the Vikings wouldn't have jumped all over it. Then we'd have to choke down $10 million per year to keep him around.

That said, I believe the 49ers will draft one offensive playmaker by no later than the 61st pick.