There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Top 10 Draft Impact List

Considering where the 49ers draft, needs and players who can make an impact now to beat up the hawks and make another run for the Super bowl, I'll be freaking excited if 49ers able to draft at least 2 of these players from my top 10 wish list. I've also considered how they would fit in the 49ers system and chemistry. What do you guys think and what is your top 10?

1. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
2. Datone Jones, DE/OLB, UCLA
3. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St.
4. Xavier Rhodes, CB, FLA St.
5. Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
6. Tyler Eifert, TE, ND
7. John Cyprien, FS, FLA Int
8. Eric Reid, FS, LSU
9. Montee Ball, RB, Wisc
10. Zach Ertz, TE, Stan
[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM ]
I like the idea, but I total disagree with your list.

Jesse Williams/Jonathan Hankins would only be on the field ~30% of the time, like Soap last year. I'd put Tank Carradine on the list, move Eric Reid up.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Jesse Williams/Jonathan Hankins would only be on the field ~30% of the time, like Soap last year. I'd put Tank Carradine on the list, move Eric Reid up.

I don't know about Carradine. Although he has the physical tools, not much experience, been injured and just don't have much history how he is going to turn out. I'll draft him at the 4th round, but not at 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I've been following college for years, especially big time schools. Williams and Hankins could provide rotation and impact right away because of how they relentless way they play, physical, skills, schools, and experience.
Jesse Williams would not provide any difference making impact as a rookie. He essentially is Glenn Dorsey. Both are very good run stuffers. Both suck as pass rushers.

Montee Ball also wouldn't help us much. We have a very good RB tandem with Gore and Hunter. James and Dixon are also very good situational backs.

And as much as I like Datone Jones, he wouldn't make a huge impact as a rookie... other than to give Justin Smith a breather on occasion.

Of the guys you mention, here are the ones I think could make a real impact as rookies:

5. Alex Okafor - I'd love to see us pick this guy as an eventual 5-technique DE. But he has some bulking up to do before he'd be stout enough against the run in that role. He would provide immediate impact as a strong-side pass rusher in our nickle defense. He would be an upgrade over Ahmad Brooks in this specific role.

6. Tyler Eifert - Obviously we have a whole at TE without D. Walker. Eifert is the best TE in the draft and we already have Vernon Davis. So I doubt we pick him, but he would certainly improve our 2-TE packages.

10. Zach Ertz - Same comments as with Eifert. Better pass catcher than D. Walker for sure.

Other potential high-impact picks:

DJ Hayden, CB - covering the slot was a major problem for our defense in 2012. Hayden is probably the best slot CB in the draft. He'd be a significant upgrade.

Da'Rick Rogers, WR - looking at our current roster, you wouldn't think that a WR would make a huge impact as a rookie. And if Crabtree and Boldin are both healthy all year that is probably true. But we have struggled to get quality receivers on the field throughout 16 games. This is a position where improved depth would help our super-bowl objectives.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:

I don't know about Carradine. Although he has the physical tools, not much experience, been injured and just don't have much history how he is going to turn out. I'll draft him at the 4th round, but not at 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

If Carradine is 100% healthy, he'd be an immediate improvement in the same role I'd see Alex Okafor filling. Carradine is absolutely a 1st or 2nd round pick and I would be thrilled if we picked him.

However, the injury makes me hesitate to call him an impact player as a rookie. But down the road, I think he'll be a star.
49ers need big freaking DL who can run and relentless in pursue. With all the mobile QBs 49ers will be facing this year, we need fresh young legs that are relentless.
Last year, the D just go tired towards the end. Need more impact OLB, DE and DT. You have these guys chasing QB, 49ers DBs will look like Pro-bowls. LOL
[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM ]
As for Montee Ball. I like Hunter and James, don't get me wrong. But they are smallish side and need someone who finds the endzone at the goalline. If Gore gets hurt, 49ers are screwed. Montee Ball has the size, expereince and he is a TD finder. He shoots out of the line as if he got shot out of the cannon. He may not have the moves on moves, but he runs downhill all the time. He is a relentless RB who finds the endzone.
Updated list.

1. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
2. Datone Jones, DE/OLB, UCLA
3. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St.
4. Xavier Rhodes, CB, FLA St.
5. John Cyprien, S, Fla Int
6. Tyler Eifert, TE, ND
7. Eric Reid, FS, LSU
8. Okafor, OLB/DE, Tex
9. Montee Ball, RB, Wisc
10. Zach Ertz, TE, Stan
safeties, pass rushers, or tight ends.
I've seen Jesse Williams play and I came away VERY impresed with his speed.

He can play both NT/DE and is strong as an ox.

Thomas/Swearinger at S, IMO, will bth be top S in the league and I hope we get one of them.
  • buck
  • Veteran

We had a nose tackle on the field for over 49% of the defensive snaps. The vast majority of those snaps were taken by Sopoaga and RJF.

We lost both players in free agency. I would keep a nose tackle on that list.
Originally posted by buck:

We had a nose tackle on the field for over 49% of the defensive snaps. The vast majority of those snaps were taken by Sopoaga and RJF.

Thank you!

I think Ninerbuff's post is pretty accurate. Whatever nose tackle we take will probably only play 30% of our defensive snaps max. You have to think Dorsey and Williams will be in the rotation.

Bang for buck I think it's Tank Carradine. Call me crazy but I think our pass rush was a lot better with a nice rotation going on.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I think Ninerbuff's post is pretty accurate. Whatever nose tackle we take will probably only play 30% of our defensive snaps max. You have to think Dorsey and Williams will be in the rotation.

Bang for buck I think it's Tank Carradine. Call me crazy but I think our pass rush was a lot better with a nice rotation going on.

Agree,a strong pass rush especially a strong presence on the inside, something we have been lacking since BY