LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Drafting for positions of need for the future

Based on Trent Baalke's article about drafting players for need before they're needed, we can maybe look at who the Niners could be targeting in the draft. With the first three picks I see them looking at Matt Elam (to replace Whitner), Margus Hunt (to replace Justin Smith) and Darius Slay or DJ Hayden to replace Carlos Rogers. Baalke knows he can't afford to pay everyone and Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree are priorities to sign in the next year or two.
Hunt N Elam suck ..
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Datrone Jones/Justin Smith,, Phillip Thomas/Gholston,Robert Alford/Rodgers,Marquise Goodwin/Ginn,Barrett Jones/Goodwin,Jaime Collin/Grant,Gerald Hodges/Gooden,Marcus Latimore /Gore,Zach Ertz,Travis Kelce/Walker,John Jenkins,Brandon Williams/Soapy.......
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Based on Trent Baalke's article about drafting players for need before they're needed, we can maybe look at who the Niners could be targeting in the draft. With the first three picks I see them looking at Matt Elam (to replace Whitner), Margus Hunt (to replace Justin Smith) and Darius Slay or DJ Hayden to replace Carlos Rogers. Baalke knows he can't afford to pay everyone and Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree are priorities to sign in the next year or two.

I do think the Rodgers, Smith, and Whitner are all gone next season.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Hunt N Elam suck ..

I'm not big on Elam but I think Hunt will be pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting him in the third.
I'd like to see Cyprien to replace Whitner and Amerson/Thomas/Rambo to replace Goldson.
a montae ball or laveon bell to replace frank gore. perhaps---i think frank's big contract may be where paraag marathe looks to find $ to extend kaepernick and aldon smith and mike iupati

a keenan allen, cordarelle patterson or justin hunter to replace crabtree when he leaves as a free agent--given that it takes receivers, usually, longer to adjust to pro game, better to get a rookie now and groom than when crabtree leaves
[ Edited by hofer36 on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Rather see what AJ Jenkins and R. Lockette do this year and draft Marquise Lee next year......
Hunt N Elam suck ..
Yet NFL teams will still ignore your analysis and draft them early in the 2nd round....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Hunt N Elam suck ..
Yet NFL teams will still ignore your analysis and draft them early in the 2nd round....

lol

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buhda:
Rather see what AJ Jenkins and R. Lockette do this year and draft Marquise Lee next year......

LOL Lee will be a TOP pick. We shouldn't be anywhere in the ball park to take Lee next year.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:

This is the line of thinking I have had in all of my mocks. Players we need to replace with this draft are Donte Whitner, Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, and Anquan Boldin.

I don't like Hunt or Elam. But here are the guys I would target to make these replacements:

31: Tank Carradine for Justin Smith

34: Jonathan Cyprien for Donte Whitner

mid-2nd: DJ Hayden for Carlos Rogers (trade up from 74 for a mid 2nd round pick)

61: Da'Rick Rogers for Anquan Boldin
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
This is the line of thinking I have had in all of my mocks. Players we need to replace with this draft are Donte Whitner, Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, and Anquan Boldin.

I don't like Hunt or Elam. But here are the guys I would target to make these replacements:

31: Allen for Boldin

34: Jonathan Banks for Rogers

61: Philip Thomas for Goldson
74: John Jenkins eventually to NT and Dorsey for Smith
93: Lattimore for Gore
128: Duke Williams for Whitner

fixed
Hunt N Elam suck ..

Not a fan of Hunt and Elam.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Hunt N Elam suck ..

I know right how dumb are them NFL people to ignore me lmao
Share 49ersWebzone