There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who's flying up your draft board?

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Gotta love the media "experts" and their mocks. NFL teams do extensive hands on research over an entire year to determine who they like and do not like. By the time they examine them like cattle at the Combine, personally interview them, go to their Pro Days, talk to their coaches, all they are doing is verifying what they saw on tape. Very little changes on their draft boards, especially not a couple weeks, or 1 week, before the draft. The NFL team draft boards are pretty set way before that with little movement up or down a couple slots this late in the game. When you hear media heads talking about, "This guy is flying up everyone's draft board", that's BS coverup talk for THEM rating the prospect so low . They don't want to look bad when they had a guy as a 3rd rounder being picked in the 1st or vice versa.

Its a big sh!t show...and you know what? I LOVE IT!!!!

Nicely said! Could not agree more!
hayden.
Justin Hunter and Darius Slay.
DJ HAYDEN !!!
Jamar Taylor
Sylvester Williams
John Jenkins. I always had him as a late first rounder, early second rounder personally, this is evident in my first mock draft that i posted months back. So i wouldnt say he has fle up my board, but i think he has solidified his draft position.

Robert Alford- think he does sometime in the second. The only thing stoping this kid from being a first rounder IMO is his size. Kid is impressive.

Knile Davis- Third rounder i think. Unique combo of size and speed.

JJ Wilcox- possible second rounder. One year at his position, and quite frankly he dominated for a first year SS. The roof is sky high on this kid. He is dynamic.

Aaron Mellette- I was real high on him early. Wained a little, but decided i really like this kid. I could see someone likeing him and nabbing him earlier than anyone is predicting, possibly in the third. could end up a TO clone IMO.
as silly as it sounds with everybody else downgrading him Keenan Allen. The more I watch him the more I love his style of play. Creates separation with his hands and makes great catches. Tank Carradine as well I'd love to see him opposite Aldon Smith on 3rd down. Niners will not draft Matt Scott but I really like his abilities and with some NFL coaching should be a good starting NFL QB. And finally Jarvis Jones. He can get after he quarterback and is a true defensive playmaker. Not sure he fits the Niners system but in a 43 defense would make a great outside linebacker.
Seriously, is Justin Hunter without a doubt. Just look at all the articles and clips from analysts coming out in the last few days.

Cordarrelle Patterson is dropping and so is Keenan Allen. It is very possible he will go in the 1st, may be around the 20s.

Bottomline, the kid can ball and most teams love his 6'4" physique. Don't worry about his weight too much, he basically resembles Randy Moss's body type. If you want an outside deep threat guy, he is definitely your top man !! Of course, if you want a smaller and speedier slot guy, then go for someone else.
Good call IdahoNiner!

JJWilcox and Mellette would be AWESOME picks if we could get then 3-5th.
Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Gotta love the media "experts" and their mocks. NFL teams do extensive hands on research over an entire year to determine who they like and do not like. By the time they examine them like cattle at the Combine, personally interview them, go to their Pro Days, talk to their coaches, all they are doing is verifying what they saw on tape. Very little changes on their draft boards, especially not a couple weeks, or 1 week, before the draft. The NFL team draft boards are pretty set way before that with little movement up or down a couple slots this late in the game. When you hear media heads talking about, "This guy is flying up everyone's draft board", that's BS coverup talk for THEM rating the prospect so low . They don't want to look bad when they had a guy as a 3rd rounder being picked in the 1st or vice versa.

Its a big sh!t show...and you know what? I LOVE IT!!!!

well, there could be a guy with health concerns that didint allow teams to fully evaluate. but just recently were able to.

There could be a guy you like but never had the chance to sit down and talk to hin the way you want. to work him out or awhat have you.

There could be a move a team recent;y made that warrants a change in strategy. Even if that team isnt you. Meaning you have x or y penciled in thinking you can get one of them. But all of a sudden someone picking around you makes a move now you're not sure. So you have to go a diffeernt route.

There could be a guy you had pegged as a "sleeper" but now he's going on visits to numerous teams and now you know if you want him you can't wait as long as you planned.

there could be a player coming back from injury for you, that you assumed would be further along that he actually is, but recently found out he's still a ways away. Now you don't know if he can be counted on to contribute as you'd like some now you have to look at alternative options.

All of those could contribute to changes. But I believe it's certain players getting 2nd visits or late visits or dinner visits this close to the draft that leads to the assumptions. And truth is if your guy is garnering interest this close to the draft. you very well may have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

But I do agree it's BS. Cause there's no way any GM or personnel guy is leaking any information about the players they like.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
John Jenkins. I always had him as a late first rounder, early second rounder personally, this is evident in my first mock draft that i posted months back. So i wouldnt say he has fle up my board, but i think he has solidified his draft position.

Robert Alford- think he does sometime in the second. The only thing stoping this kid from being a first rounder IMO is his size. Kid is impressive.

JJ Wilcox- possible second rounder. One year at his position, and quite frankly he dominated for a first year SS. The roof is sky high on this kid. He is dynamic.

Aaron Mellette- I was real high on him early. Wained a little, but decided i really like this kid. I could see someone likeing him and nabbing him earlier than anyone is predicting, possibly in the third. could end up a TO clone IMO.

I know Knile Davis increased his stock by running a freakish 40 time, but what do you say to the skeptics who say it's ludicrous that he may get drafted ahead of RBs with far better production and far better tape? (I don't remember the names because I haven't paid any attention to the RB position this year, but this was a topic of discussion on a couple recent podcasts I listened to)
Phillip Thomas. I really hope we draft him and I really wouldn't be mad if we took him @ 31...
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I know Knile Davis increased his stock by running a freakish 40 time, but what do you say to the skeptics who say it's ludicrous that he may get drafted ahead of RBs with far better production and far better tape? (I don't remember the names because I haven't paid any attention to the RB position this year, but this was a topic of discussion on a couple recent podcasts I listened to)

When healthy and the feature back he was a stud. This last season, i feel he was possibly a bit contact shy based on the previous injurys and trying to make sure he stayed healthy going into the draft. This caused his production to drop when he did play. I also dont think he fit in well with arkansas interim coaching staff.As a full time paid athlete, with all the proper trainers to help him strengthen his legs, financial stability, and a program that will back him and put him in a possition to succeed, the kid could be something truely special. Injurys are the biggest red flag, but ankle fractures can happen to anyone. Training regime will be increased to address that issue. He also had a bit of the fumbles this last season, but again that can be coached, and also i have a feeling again that had to do with him shying from contact saving himself for the draft, since it wasnt really a problem in his 2010 season. One more injury and he likely would go undrafted. Thats about all i can say other than his measurables are off the charts, and his 2010 season was other worldly. Kid has a chance to be real special if he can kick aside the leg issues.