There are 188 users in the forums

Am I the only one expecting a pass rusher with pick 31 or 34?

I'm definitely expectiong one.

BUT Trent tends to do the unexpected.

I'm hoping for a DE/NT guy like Williams from Alabama who can play NT and DE.
Somebody mentioned Bjoern Werner in a previous post about who a "surprise" pick might be. I researched the kid and honestly he's like the second coming of Justin Smith. He's dropping down draft boards because of his size, but he has an endless motor and a knack for being around the ball. I think he played at around 270 in college, so you would think he'd project to be an OLB. I think this kid will actually grow into a solid 3-4 DE though, he's got the frame. Or at least provide pass rush depth in the event Brooks or Aldon went down. Haralson isn't going to get it done in pass rush. Bjoern Werner will. His football mentality reminds me of Frank Gore. Almost like he has retard strength (excuse the bigoted remark) like his entire life is football. He seems like a kid who plays for the love of the game, not the money. His stats speak for them self and are much better than top prospect Dion Jordan's. We would likely have to trade up to pick 20-23 to snag him. Hope he's in a Niner uniform next season.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Let me explain myself. Last year the Niners had great interest in Bruce Irvin. Obviously he did not end up a Niner but instead with the hawks. The team's desire for another explosive pass rusher will not have magically disappeared, especially after last post season. I'm expecting them to trade up a couple spots (5 max) to take Tank Carradine or a guy who will take a significant drop.

Taking a pass rusher only makes sense with the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Ryan in the NFC. Thoughts?

I think they should get DE Datone Jones at #31 and DE,DT Jonathan Hankins at #34 shoring up the D-line should be handled early in the draft due to the lack of players that can fill the roll in the niners 3-4 defence.then pickup a OLB later in the draft like Ty Powell in the 5th or 6th round.
Originally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:
Somebody mentioned Bjoern Werner in a previous post about who a "surprise" pick might be. I researched the kid and honestly he's like the second coming of Justin Smith. He's dropping down draft boards because of his size, but he has an endless motor and a knack for being around the ball. I think he played at around 270 in college, so you would think he'd project to be an OLB. I think this kid will actually grow into a solid 3-4 DE though, he's got the frame. Or at least provide pass rush depth in the event Brooks or Aldon went down. Haralson isn't going to get it done in pass rush. Bjoern Werner will. His football mentality reminds me of Frank Gore. Almost like he has retard strength (excuse the bigoted remark) like his entire life is football. He seems like a kid who plays for the love of the game, not the money. His stats speak for them self and are much better than top prospect Dion Jordan's. We would likely have to trade up to pick 20-23 to snag him. Hope he's in a Niner uniform next season.

I don't think Werner is even in the same ballpark as Justin Smith in terms of how explosive he is and his ability to move. Justin Smith was an absolute beast in college (which was why he was picked so high)
The fact Baalke signed Dorsey and is still interested in Idonije tells me his emphasis is on beefing up the DL so Fangio can establish a real rotation that will keep the starters from wilting at the end of the season. It's the DL that creates opportunities for Aldon, Ahmad & Co. to pressure the QB. Could they use another pass rusher...sure, who couldn't. TB may draft an OLB...Haralson's only signed for this coming season, but taking a pass rusher early seems unlikely. DL, S, TE, maybe CB would seem to come before that.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
we can wait dor OLB , may be Flemming and Johnson r ready.. but The DL we have to fix now ( with all those picks)
did u see that article?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/97019/west-dl-ranks-49ers-fourth-wait-a-minute
what was that all about ... ?
If you mean 3-4 end by pass rusher than yes
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, I'm with you, Gibblets. I got a feeling it's him over Cyprien at 31.

If I were to wager, I'd put money on Reid and/or Cyprien at 31. Makes too much sense...but then again Baalke is at the helm....lol.
Originally posted by KK49:
we can wait dor OLB , may be Flemming and Johnson r ready.. but The DL we have to fix now ( with all those picks)
did u see that article?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/97019/west-dl-ranks-49ers-fourth-wait-a-minute
what was that all about ... ?
Actually, if you read closer, he said the order could have been several different ways given the DL talent in the division. I don't mind that as much as I mind the CBs being ranked 4th. We're 4 deep with very good CBs. I'm still worried about those speedy dudes in the slot. That is what we lack in CB.
With Baalke, I don't think it's wise to "expect" anything. But I'm intrigued by the Niners getting a player for the Fred Dean role that Aldon played his rookie year. He could sub for Brooks in passing situation, particularly late in the game. I'm not saying Brooks is bad, but rotating him makes more sense than always rotating the best player on the team in Justin Smith. The team may already have the starting free safety on the roster. Starting-caliber safeties and corners are littered throughout the 2nd round. But rushing the QB is a rare skill. I hope (not expect) the Niners get the best pass rusher they can.

Reasons for pass-rusher at 31 or 34:

• Baalke wanted Bruce Irvin last year
  • Invested 2 picks into OLB/Pass Rushers last year (no production from either)
  • Set up FA meetings with Abraham and Idonije
  • Signed FAs at all positions except OLB/43 DE
riginally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:

Werner will be the bust of this draft
I think Werner looks good as a 4-3 LE or even potentially 3-4 DE. Maybe even better inside at 3-4 DE because he isn't the most athletic guy to be running the arc.
No such thing as too many pass rushers...Wouldn't shock me if they grab one early
I really like Datone Jones at the end spot in this defense. I'm expecting an OLB to spell Brooks. I figure Haralson will come in on some running downs to give Aldon a breather but for 3rd down I think a guy like Carradine would be great let it be hand in the dirt or starting on his feet. Bjoern Werner has bust written all over him and same with Margus Hunt. What really intrigues me though is who will end up slipping down to the end of the first round.
Share 49ersWebzone