There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers' FA strategy has been all about the draft

Almost every single acquisition has met these two criteria: (1) dirt cheap, and (2) at a big position of need that everyone assumed we'd HAVE to address in the draft.

Dorsey, Boldin, Dahl, Morrah, Asomugha, Moore, and McCoy turned DE/NT, WR, FS, TE, CB, and b/u QB from "must haves" to positions we can now get by with if we have to.

The intention seems clear. Baalke does not want to be hampered by "need" in any way in using his draft picks, particularly those five picks in the first three rounds. "BPA" is such a cliche, and it's a myth that anyone would ignore need 100%, but we seem poised to attack this draft for value unlike any draft we've ever seen.
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM ]
Has been Baalke's strategy since he took over and it seems to be very effective.
Well at least Baalke has a vision and a plan and has certainly covered his bases with FA. Now it will be interesting if he really goes BPA in the draft and gets the most talent on board the team and let the competition sort it all out. I will be interested to see how he frees up enough money to pay the rookies.
Who goes out and signs players that they don't need? The 9ers just don't have many needs
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Who goes out and signs players that they don't need? The 9ers just don't have many needs

Well duh. But think of it this way. They could have allocated more money toward fewer positions. They would have signed a higher-rated S and DL who were clear starters, and not had any FA money left for a CB or TE or backup QB. In that scenario, they would be far less likely to spend a high pick on a S or DL, and would feel more pressure to bend BPA toward reaching for a CB, TE, or QB.

For the record, I'm not even 100% sure this is the "better" strategy, although I'm certainly on board with Baalke at this point.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Almost every single acquisition has met these two criteria: (1) dirt cheap, and (2) at a big position of need that everyone assumed we'd HAVE to address in the draft.

Dorsey, Boldin, Dahl, Morrah, Asomugha, Moore, and McCoy turned DE/NT, WR, FS, TE, CB, and b/u QB from "must haves" to positions we can now get by with if we have to.

The intention seems clear. Baalke does not want to be hampered by "need" in any way in using his draft picks, particularly those five picks in the first three rounds. "BPA" is such a cliche, and it's a myth that anyone would ignore need 100%, but we seem poised to attack this draft for value unlike any draft we've ever seen.
Baalke has said that he doesn't want to go into a draft wherancee the player drafted has to play (example Aldon and Kaep), you want them to contribute and if they are better than the competition then start them, but you want to ease them into the role. That is why I think Jenkins is not in danger. He never got a chance not with the way the niners scheme is. I think he may have a good year, a good sign that worked out with Kaep at CES.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The tight end signed in free agency is Cameron Morrah.

• buck
  • Veteran

Originally posted by buck:

Isn't that what I said?
Kaffee,
I couldn't agree more. Baalke and Harbaugh may know who they want, and won't be hampered it trading up for him by worrying about saving a selection later in the draft for a "need" position. This will allow them to trade up for the right guy and right deal. Or they might just trade out into 2014. My hope is that they select no more than about 7 players while trading up or trading out with the other selections.
Good post man!

Agree, Trent seems to go into this very well prepared.

What I like, among other things, is he'll move in any direction at any time to get what he thinks is best.

I can't wait for this to start.
A reasonably inexpensive FA for a stop gap and then draft for longer term. Most good teams do something like this and would rather play a year with a lesser player than overpay for a short term guy. The only times this does not work is when there is a game changer available...Deion Sanders. The niners rented him for a Super Bowl run and it paid off.
I like the strategy. We all know defensive line depth was a glaring need. Although we can be certain that there be a defensive lineman or two drafted next week, we do not absolutely have to use those picks 31 or 34 at that position now. There will be starter quality talent available at defensive line obviously, but also at both safety positions, wide receiver, and corner. There also will most likely be QBs there for the taking, which puts us in prime position to trade back, and possibly pick up another 2nd and 3rd round pick. I just like that Baalke has positioned us well to go BPA, while still being able to address our needs and not having to reach for a player just to fill that need. We are going to need to get guys at defensive line and safety obviously (TE is up there also), but WR and CB are included because we will need some salary cap relief.
So you're telling me the 49ers used free agency to fill needs!!??
Originally posted by natrone06:
So you're telling me the 49ers used free agency to fill needs!!??