LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Mel Kiper Jr.'s Grade A Mock Draft

Won't post entire, but jus 49ers section.

San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: FS, TE, DL, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (31) DE Datone Jones, UCLA
Rd. 2 (34) S Matt Elam, Florida
Rd. 2 (61) TE Dion Sims, Michigan St.
Rd. 3 (74) DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (via Carolina)
Rd. 3 (93) (Traded to Chicago)

Analysis: Datonesetter! That's not my nickname -- that's the one Gruden gave Jones, a player he really likes on tape. I drafted Jones to rotate in as a 3-4 DE and provide some rest to the great Justin Smith, who will be 34 in September. I get the safety this team needs early in Round 2. Elam has great instincts and the coaches will love him. Sims isn't a brilliant pass-catcher, but he's a physical presence and can drag defenders with him, helping to fill the hole left by the departure of Delanie Walker. Finally, I grab Williams in Round 3 to work in as the future nose tackle. That second third-round pick I sent to the Bears for a future two. I'm feeling pretty good about this roster anyway -- it's time to stock up for the future.
I love Elam, not shy about it...

I love the attention to DL... I think Datone just looks like a good football player...

I've seen Jesse Williams anywhere from 22ish to now 74... I wonder about him
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Won't post entire, but jus 49ers section.

San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: FS, TE, DL, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (31) DE Datone Jones, UCLA
Rd. 2 (34) S Matt Elam, Florida
Rd. 2 (61) TE Dion Sims, Michigan St.
Rd. 3 (74) DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (via Carolina)
Rd. 3 (93) (Traded to Chicago)

Analysis: Datonesetter! That's not my nickname -- that's the one Gruden gave Jones, a player he really likes on tape. I drafted Jones to rotate in as a 3-4 DE and provide some rest to the great Justin Smith, who will be 34 in September. I get the safety this team needs early in Round 2. Elam has great instincts and the coaches will love him. Sims isn't a brilliant pass-catcher, but he's a physical presence and can drag defenders with him, helping to fill the hole left by the departure of Delanie Walker. Finally, I grab Williams in Round 3 to work in as the future nose tackle. That second third-round pick I sent to the Bears for a future two. I'm feeling pretty good about this roster anyway -- it's time to stock up for the future.

Not happy about Sims in the second. Were Kelce, McDonald, and Escobar already gone?
Where did Carradine, Ertz, Kelce go?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd rather replace Sims with DaRick at 61. Looks good though.
Jesse Williams in the 3rd (74)?
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

I personally wouldn't take him before that.
Ertz - 30 to Atlanta

Escobar - 87 to Seattle

Tank - 42 to Miami

Vance - 73 to Tampa(right before our 74th pick)
Also looks like no Kelce in 3 rounds.
I like it as it provides our Safety, rotational relief on the D-line, a TE, and next years 2nd round pick.

I agree that Jesse Williams I have seen mocked anywhere from 1st rd to 3rd round so who knows. Knowing that i would think taking him with our #31 pick would be a reach.

Hearing ATL looking to move up. I assume they are trying to get a premier pass rusher to replace Abraham. (possibly a CB)

Ertz - 30 to Atlanta

Escobar - 87 to Seattle

Tank - 42 to Miami

Vance - 73 to Tampa(right before our 74th pick)

Also looks like no Kelce in 3 rounds.

Yeah, I'd much rather have Vance, Escobar or Kelce over Sims, and I'd LOVE it if we could get Kelce with #93, and instead select Amerson or Thomas at #61. I also think I am starting to prefer Tank over Datone (amazing nickname, though), if both are there at #31
No Datone. He will not play enough to justify such a high pick. Harbaugh/Fangio will not and should not pull Justin, the best player on the field, off the field for significant time.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
No Datone. He will not play enough to justify such a high pick. Harbaugh/Fangio will not and should not pull Justin, the best player on the field, off the field for significant time.

What do you mean he won't play enough? He'd rotate in with Justin Smith and RayMac, and in a year (when Justin is gone) he will start every down.

I can't think of a single rookie that we could draft that would be a starter from day one. MAYBE a safety. But there is no guarantee that any safety we draft will be more NFL ready than Dahl or Trenton Robinson.

We are in a mode of drafting guys that will replace a starter a year or two from now. That is a good position to be in.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

I personally wouldn't take him before that.

I totally agree. Jesse Williams is one of the top 5 interior DL at playing the run in this draft. But the fact that he has shown almost nothing as a pass rusher will really hurt his stock.... especially in a passing driven league. Big run stuffers like Williams are not as valuable as they used to be.

I would pick Williams as high as 61, because I think he has the athleticism to improve his pass rushing skills.
I'm loving this mock draft like a mcdonalds commercial
Share 49ersWebzone