LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Marcus Lattimore --- To be, or not to be

I like the idea of drafting him now, but basically "red-shirting" him for this season. It'd give him time to really learn the offense and get 100% strong and healthy for 2014 season. Dude is a beast and does everything well. Shoot, Gore had multiple knee surgeries before the Niners drafted him...and look at his production. Injuries happen, but what's most important is how you come back from them. Warriors like Gore and Lattimore come back strong.
Third is too early, but I'm 100% okay with a 4th or later.
If he's a bust no big deal.
If he comes back from the injury and turns into a decent/good/great player, we got a steal.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
C'mon Phoenix.... I said what I thought. I'm actually pretty good at evaluating RBs. I told u what I saw. He has no discernible elite qualities that translate to the nfl. He is not a burner, or a bruiser. He doesn't have elite toughness to break tackles. So tell me, in your expert opinion, why WOULD he be an elite RB in the NFL? Cause other people rated him highly at some point in time????

the same thing was said about an NFL running back that Lattimore is being compared to....Arian Foster.

No, he doesn't have elite speed, but he has great vision. Frank Gore was never a burner, but his vision and toughness made him one of the best in the NFL. You said he didn't have elite size, but he's 5'11'' and 220 lbs. That's great size for a running back KNOWN for chopping his legs when he hits the pile or breaks a tackle. If you don't see some of those qualities in Lattimore, then I don't know what to tell you.
The BL to me is, if you're a beast in the SEC, then you're NFL-ready. Lattimore consistently got tough yards for Spurrier at SC...so once he's healthy again, no reason he can't do that for us.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
C'mon Phoenix.... I said what I thought. I'm actually pretty good at evaluating RBs. I told u what I saw. He has no discernible elite qualities that translate to the nfl. He is not a burner, or a bruiser. He doesn't have elite toughness to break tackles. So tell me, in your expert opinion, why WOULD he be an elite RB in the NFL? Cause other people rated him highly at some point in time????

the same thing was said about an NFL running back that Lattimore is being compared to....Arian Foster.

No, he doesn't have elite speed, but he has great vision. Frank Gore was never a burner, but his vision and toughness made him one of the best in the NFL. You said he didn't have elite size, but he's 5'11'' and 220 lbs. That's great size for a running back KNOWN for chopping his legs when he hits the pile or breaks a tackle. If you don't see some of those qualities in Lattimore, then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not down on Lattimore. I want someone to tell me about his qualities that I didn't see on the limited tape I saw. What I am down on is using a 4th on a player that won't play this year. 2 years running we had practice squad players at WR by the end of the year. Wouldn't we be better served by hitting a home run at the WR position in the 4th round?

Plus... don't we already have a red-shirted RB with a history of knee injuries on the roster? (Jewel Hampton)

And for the record, I do think Lattimore has elite vision. I did not think he had elite power, nor play to his size, but I'm sure I was looking at some poor video and not his better plays. If he gets healthy and plays lights out, I would be happy for him wherever he went
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I'm not down on Lattimore. I want someone to tell me about his qualities that I didn't see on the limited tape I saw. What I am down on is using a 4th on a player that won't play this year. 2 years running we had practice squad players at WR by the end of the year. Wouldn't we be better served by hitting a home run at the WR position in the 4th round?

Plus... don't we already have a red-shirted RB with a history of knee injuries on the roster? (Jewel Hampton)

And for the record, I do think Lattimore has elite vision. I did not think he had elite power, nor play to his size, but I'm sure I was looking at some poor video and not his better plays. If he gets healthy and plays lights out, I would be happy for him wherever he went

I feel like we are going to address the receiver position in the 2nd or 3rd round, hopefully on Da'Rick Rogers. We have so many draft picks that we can afford to take a gamble on a guy like Lattimore who will be sitting his first year. I'd take him over Jewel Hampton anyday.
Share 49ersWebzone