LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Marcus Lattimore --- To be, or not to be

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Almost every mock that I've seen has us taking Lattimore in the 4th or 5th round. Everything I read about the guy says he is highly rated. I haven't seen any games, but in the highlights I have seen, all I can say is.... eh

No elite size, no elite speed, possibly elite vision but no elite toughness like Frank. Wouldn't we be better served by picking up a WR or 2nd safety in the 4th instead of another RB, who wouldn't even play this year?

I'm not saying he won't be a good pro, I have no idea. I just don't think it's worth burning a 4th when we have other holes

Just by those comments I fully question your ability to judge to a running back. Lattimore was the premier runningback in the country and a surefire 1st rounder without the injuries. If you can get a premier talent like that with a later round pick, let him sit for a year and recover, I think that's an outstanding way to acquire a future franchise back.

Oh yeah....and.

I haven't seen any games

Really?.......................really?.........really?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Who's that?

*Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan St 6-2 244

pselling airo. I cake him al zee tmine.
Originally posted by Rascal:
If we were to pick a RB which we might as Frank will most probably retire at the end of his contract next year, personally I would go with De'Veon Bell.
Problem is you will possibly need to use a 2nd rounder or maybe even a first rounder to get him.

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I hope we pass on him two blown out knees no thanx ... college RBs are so overrated look at all tha late round picks N UDFA that make it N because stars ...
You do know that Gore had two blown out knees coming out of College right? With todays medical advances they can recover better and be themselves physically, its a matter of their mental pysche that is the biggest obsticle. Look at Adrian Peterson. If the medical staff thinks he is good to go, I don't mind using our 4th (comp pick) or 5th rounder if he is still there. As for late round picks and UDFA making a team, sure, becoming stars hardly. Otherwise, the falcons, packers, saints and patriots would stop trying to find one to complement their QB's so teams don't tee off on them cause they would already have them. Or we wouldn't have taken Hunter or LMJ. Talent is talent.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Problem is you will possibly need to use a 2nd rounder or maybe even a first rounder to get him.

You do know that Gore had two blown out knees coming out of College right? With todays medical advances they can recover better and be themselves physically, its a matter of their mental pysche that is the biggest obsticle. Look at Adrian Peterson. If the medical staff thinks he is good to go, I don't mind using our 4th (comp pick) or 5th rounder if he is still there. As for late round picks and UDFA making a team, sure, becoming stars hardly. Otherwise, the falcons, packers, saints and patriots would stop trying to find one to complement their QB's so teams don't tee off on them cause they would already have them. Or we wouldn't have taken Hunter or LMJ. Talent is talent.

Yea, you are right, I didn't realise he was rated that high. Rated 4th and projected to go in 2nd or 3rd, I highly doubt he will be a 1st rounder. The thing I want to know is which teams are after a RB ? If there is a lack of demand for RBs, he could fall to 3rd which might be doable for us.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I believe he will go in the 3rd and would be STOKED if it were us. And if we get allen or woods at 31 or 34. Man that would be awrsome. Even though both picks would be mainly fornext year and beyond. More so than this year.
I have no issues with him. But we don't need any more RBs. I understand he is injured and would be a "red shirt" season. But I think we could get a guy that could contribute right away. Plus I think Hunter and James can take over for Gore in 2-3 years.
[ Edited by niners9 on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:48 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
someone will nab him in the 3rd.
Originally posted by niners9:
I have no issues with him. But we don't need any more RBs. I understand he is injured and would be a "red shirt" season. But I think we could get a guy that could contribute right away. Plus I think Hunter and James can take over for Gore in 2-3 years.

Hunter and especially James aren't full-time backs. Hunter is a one-cut back like Frank, just less physical. James is a shifty COP guy. Neither is a feature back.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sspiker:

Hunter and especially James aren't full-time backs. Hunter is a one-cut back like Frank, just less physical. James is a shifty COP guy. Neither is a feature back.

I agree. I can't see neither Kendall nor LaMike being Frank's replacement. They are just not dominant enough on the field. We need a legit back and I want that guy to have size and power. We really should think about Le'Veon Bell, unless we already know there will be some beasts in next year's draft.
I think the 49ers would be smart to try and find Frank's replacement sooner then later. I have no problem drafting Lattimore and stashing him on the IR for the year. Its a gamble, yes, but so was replacing Smith with Kapernick in the middle of the season. Smart teams find replacements for aging players before it becomes a problem.

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by sspiker:

I agree. I can't see neither Kendall nor LaMike being Frank's replacement. They are just not dominant enough on the field. We need a legit back and I want that guy to have size and power. We really should think about Le'Veon Bell, unless we already know there will be some beasts in next year's draft.

I believe they will both replace Gore. Hunter will be the starter and James can play in pistol and 3rd down. Besides all three of the guys were drafted in late second round or later. I think in the next couple of years we can find a guy mid-draft who can take Gore's place and not have injury issues. Besides, how do we know they can"t be a feature back when they haven't started a game yet and been give that opportunity to have 20 plus carries? I think Hunter is capable with James taking a couple of carries a game.
I have no ideal why we would take a flyer on him in the 4th. He was special, he definitely was. He may turn out to be a decent pro but he will never be a special type of back because of the horrific knee injury. Its not even the first ACL that is the bother, it is the last one that ruined any chance he had at being a once in a geration back. Once you have that you are never gonna be the same. We could take Niles Davis, he will be sitting there. College was cut short for him as well, but much less of a serious injury. No reason to take Lattimore. Take a flyer in the 6th or 7th, no the 4th.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Almost every mock that I've seen has us taking Lattimore in the 4th or 5th round. Everything I read about the guy says he is highly rated. I haven't seen any games, but in the highlights I have seen, all I can say is.... eh

No elite size, no elite speed, possibly elite vision but no elite toughness like Frank. Wouldn't we be better served by picking up a WR or 2nd safety in the 4th instead of another RB, who wouldn't even play this year?

I'm not saying he won't be a good pro, I have no idea. I just don't think it's worth burning a 4th when we have other holes

Just by those comments I fully question your ability to judge to a running back. Lattimore was the premier runningback in the country and a surefire 1st rounder without the injuries. If you can get a premier talent like that with a later round pick, let him sit for a year and recover, I think that's an outstanding way to acquire a future franchise back.

Oh yeah....and.

I haven't seen any games

Really?.......................really?.........really?

C'mon Phoenix.... I said what I thought. I'm actually pretty good at evaluating RBs. I told u what I saw. He has no discernible elite qualities that translate to the nfl. He is not a burner, or a bruiser. He doesn't have elite toughness to break tackles. So tell me, in your expert opinion, why WOULD he be an elite RB in the NFL? Cause other people rated him highly at some point in time????
I think we would be willing to take a chance on him and put him on IR this year but I think someone would grab him before we are willing to. We will address other needs first and we have one of the best RB groups in the league. We might throw out a late 3rd but someone could take him late 2nd or in the 3rd.

BigDaddy, not saying who is right about Lattimore but you are barking up the wrong tree as Phoenix is one of the most extensive draft guys on here so it's almost a guarantee he's done his home work on him. He isn't like most who go off what other people say.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
4th would be a wise decision..
Share 49ersWebzone