LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 414 users in the forums

Marcus Lattimore --- To be, or not to be

Almost every mock that I've seen has us taking Lattimore in the 4th or 5th round. Everything I read about the guy says he is highly rated. I haven't seen any games, but in the highlights I have seen, all I can say is.... eh

No elite size, no elite speed, possibly elite vision but no elite toughness like Frank. Wouldn't we be better served by picking up a WR or 2nd safety in the 4th instead of another RB, who wouldn't even play this year?

I'm not saying he won't be a good pro, I have no idea. I just don't think it's worth burning a 4th when we have other holes
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
He'd be the #1 rated RB in this draft and probably a top 10 pick if not for the injuries. I have ZERO issues with using a 4th or 5th on him. "Redshirt" his rookie year and if healthy, he can be groomed to take over Gore in 2-3 years.

We're set at RB for this coming year with Gore, Hunter coming back and LaMike. Using a 4th or 5th is a no brainer for him.
[ Edited by Amir on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If we were to pick a RB which we might as Frank will most probably retire at the end of his contract next year, personally I would go with De'Veon Bell.
I hope we pass on him two blown out knees no thanx ... college RBs are so overrated look at all tha late round picks N UDFA that make it N because stars ...
If you think Lattimore's highlights were "eh" you either were not watching a very well made video or you can't identify talent at the RB position.
Check out his 2011 tape- he is much more explosive and dynamic. This past season he didn't look like he was completely over his last knee knjury.
This guy has a huge chip on his shoulder. Harbaugh loves that kind of hungriness. He will be a huge steal if we do draft him.
My biggest question about him is how optimistic we should be about his recovery. I can buy that the freshman version of him would be a top 15 pick and a projected star. And I can buy that the 49ers have the flexibility to be able to afford a "redshirt" year from a 4th round pick.

But the tacit assumption everyone seems to be making is that Lattimore will definitely be an elite prospect again in 2014. This is a complicated medical question that I personally can't answer, but if there's only a pie-in-the-sky hope that the freshman Lattimore will ever return, I'd much rather use that pick elsewhere.
Originally posted by Rascal:
If we were to pick a RB which we might as Frank will most probably retire at the end of his contract next year, personally I would go with De'Veon Bell.

Who's that?
I'd take him, but not until the 5th. We could use the 4th people want to spend on him for a third next year

Originally posted by 49ers808:
I'd take him, but not until the 5th. We could use the 4th people want to spend on him for a third next year

We can't trade our compensatory 4th, so that could be an option for him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Who's that?

Sorry, "Le'Veon" it is. This guy is a bruiser. He is your prototypical power back. 6'1" and 230 lbs, runs a 4.6 40.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know, another back with two blown acl's? We maybe pushing our luck.
Didnt Frank Gore have two "blown" knees?
How'd that work out for us?
And didnt we give Garrison Hearst a shot after people said he was done because of his ankle injury?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Didnt Frank Gore have two "blown" knees?
How'd that work out for us?
And didnt we give Garrison Hearst a shot after people said he was done because of his ankle injury?

Yeah, he did. That's what I'm saying, another back with two blown ACL's. I think Frank might be the exception.
Share 49ersWebzone