There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

D'Rick Rogers

I would get him. He'd come pretty cheap and after we draft the kid from Stanford to kr/pr, he'd help.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
6 catches, 107 yards, 2 TDs. He's produced more in 1 game than any other WR on our roster, not named Boldin, has all season.

It was a good game, only time will tell how he moves forward from here, whether or not he keeps his nose clean and has a firm handle on his issues or if he'll let the short-term success go to his head. He truly has 1st round talent but a penny brain, if he can keep it together, Indy would have a hell of a combination with Rogers and Hilton, speed and power.

I agree. I was one who thought we should take a flier on him. Our locker room seems like one that could have grounded him. Boldin mentoring the young buck on how to be a professional and how up to work everyday seems interesting to imagine. It'll be curious to see if that game was just a flash in the pan or just the tip of the iceberg (alot of cliches right there).

Obviously you never hit on all your draft picks/signings, and Da'Rick was a guy that 31 teams passed on (MANY times).

But it does concern me that the qualities I feel make a successful NFL WR do not seem to be the qualities that Baalke looks for. For the most part, the guys who do well in the NFL are the guys that can combine physicality with speed. Not just being big, but playing tough against physical opponents. And not just being fast, but playing with speed.

When I see all the players that so obviously had this combination coming out of school that we passed on, it makes me sick. Alshon Jeffreys, Ruben Randle, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson.... Hell, Josh Gordon (who we could have traded for)....

And then to see Da'Rick float around unwanted.... Well clearly Baalke isn't the only GM that doesn't see WRs well. But we had serious need at the position and could have had him for nothing. It's worrying to me that I don't think our front office knows what a good WR prospect looks like.

Wow, that turned into a bigger rant than I wanted... damn bourbon...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Obviously you never hit on all your draft picks/signings, and Da'Rick was a guy that 31 teams passed on (MANY times).

But it does concern me that the qualities I feel make a successful NFL WR do not seem to be the qualities that Baalke looks for. For the most part, the guys who do well in the NFL are the guys that can combine physicality with speed. Not just being big, but playing tough against physical opponents. And not just being fast, but playing with speed.

When I see all the players that so obviously had this combination coming out of school that we passed on, it makes me sick. Alshon Jeffreys, Ruben Randle, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson.... Hell, Josh Gordon (who we could have traded for)....

And then to see Da'Rick float around unwanted.... Well clearly Baalke isn't the only GM that doesn't see WRs well. But we had serious need at the position and could have had him for nothing. It's worrying to me that I don't think our front office knows what a good WR prospect looks like.

What's the use of Baalke drafting guys when the coaching staff doesn't let them play. Nobody has any clue as to how good Patton might be at this point, he's been injured, but do you honestly expect him to get any real playing time until the 49ers have a major injury issue or someone walks away in free agency? None of the guys you listed would be the same players here, they'd be getting red-shirted and kept out of the game in favor of some mediocre veteran.
I was screaming for him

What's the use of Baalke drafting guys when the coaching staff doesn't let them play. Nobody has any clue as to how good Patton might be at this point, he's been injured, but do you honestly expect him to get any real playing time until the 49ers have a major injury issue or someone walks away in free agency? None of the guys you listed would be the same players here, they'd be getting red-shirted and kept out of the game in favor of some mediocre veteran.

SF 49ers, where young WRs develop into elite blockers, bench warmers and not much else !
6 catches, 107 yards, 2 TDs. He's produced more in 1 game than any other WR on our roster, not named Boldin, has all season.

Lets see if tha head case can keep it together N be more then a 1 or 2 season wonder before yall make him tha next great WR in tha world we N everyone else past up on ...
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
I was screaming for him

That's what she said?
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Lets see if tha head case can keep it together N be more then a 1 or 2 season wonder before yall make him tha next great WR in tha world we N everyone else past up on ...
When did I ever call him the next great anything? All I did was state a fact. He's done more in 1 game than all our WRs minus Boldin. But you'd naive if you act like he has no talent. His issue is off the field, and if he can get his act together, than the Colts found themselves heck of a player.

It was a good game, only time will tell how he moves forward from here, whether or not he keeps his nose clean and has a firm handle on his issues or if he'll let the short-term success go to his head. He truly has 1st round talent but a penny brain, if he can keep it together, Indy would have a hell of a combination with Rogers and Hilton, speed and power.

I agree. I was one who thought we should take a flier on him. Our locker room seems like one that could have grounded him. Boldin mentoring the young buck on how to be a professional and how up to work everyday seems interesting to imagine. It'll be curious to see if that game was just a flash in the pan or just the tip of the iceberg (alot of cliches right there).

i was with you on us taking a chance on him, considering we had issues at that position and having Boldin would have been beneficial for someone that's built almost in a similar fashion.

great rant. what i seem to notice is that our coaches and FO may be thinking TOO MUCH when it comes to selecting players, wide receivers specifically. almost as if they prefer to find the gem that others would have passed on just to try and develop that top notch potential. we passed on guys like Alshon and Sanu, etc. Guys that were very productive and may have had an easier time developing.

they want to go too "under the radar" sometimes...
Great game last week, but let's remember he was almost out of the league earlier this year. All the talent in the world, but a first class knucklehead. Maybe a mule kicked him in the head and straightened him out.

Side note: anyone notice the rookie WR class formerly from Tennessee light it up this week. Rogers, Patterson, Hunter all had monster games. Crazy talent the school had years ago.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Great game last week, but let's remember he was almost out of the league earlier this year. All the talent in the world, but a first class knucklehead. Maybe a mule kicked him in the head and straightened him out.

Side note: anyone notice the rookie WR class formerly from Tennessee light it up this week. Rogers, Patterson, Hunter all had monster games. Crazy talent the school had years ago.

Do you think that they are better as a whole than the trio from Baylor a few years ago? Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams
[ Edited by YungAce on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by YungAce:

Do you think that they are better as a whole than the trio from Baylor a few years ago? Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams
It's irrelevant imo. The 3 never played together. Hunter and Rogers played together and Patterson and Hunter played together. All 3 never suited up for Tennessee at the same time.

It's irrelevant imo. The 3 never played together. Hunter and Rogers played together and Patterson and Hunter played together. All 3 never suited up for Tennessee at the same time.

I'm not talking about chemistry, just asking about groups of WRs that suited up for their respective schools at any point during the last few years

I'm not talking about chemistry, just asking about groups of WRs that suited up for their respective schools at any point during the last few years

Oh ok. I got you. I'd go with the Baylor WRs. Gordon is playing like the best WR in the game right now, Williams has had a good rookie year and could be very good for the Cowboys considering they pass alot and Dez will get doubled alot, and Wright is on pace for a 1k yard season. Scary thing is, Baylor has at least 2 future NFLers on roster right now (Reese and Goodley) and potentially another 2 (Coleman and Rhodes). Baylor is becoming Wide Receiver U.