LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Best (value) deep threat WR?

Best (value) deep threat WR?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Justin Hunter's stocks rising :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160910/article/are-justin-hunter-david-amerson-firstround-picks
Originally posted by Rascal:
To me, Da'Rick Rogers is more of a possession type receiver. Justin Hunter is more of a X receiver, the deep threat guy. Well, only based on highlights tapes.

The fact that I am after a legit deep ball wideout, right away I have screened out Da'Rick Rogers. But, if you want to talk about "rawness", then I would argue Cordarrelle Patterson is even more raw. I have not noticed the issue of body-catching with Justin Hunter, but rather much more with Patterson to be honest. I would say, in terms of catching ability alone, Justin Hunter probably trumps Patterson especially for the high ball when you need to go up to get it against DBs. What Patterson has is his pure genius running ability, be it after the catch or more so with kick returns.
Agreed dude doesn't have the speed to burn people deep(and rarely did it college...) which is what confuses me to why he's winning the poll...Give me Stedman Bailey or Markus Wheaton..
[ Edited by Timdiz on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
His production is not there, are we trying to emulate the redskin's of yesteryear and their smurfs? LMJ, Hunter and another short guy.

Right, which is why he can be had in the mid rounds. I'm answering the question on best VALUE deep threat WR. Kid can flat out fly and demonstrated this on some of the best CB's and safeties at the senior bowl. He would have to be accounted for deep or else teams may pay. LMJ, Hunter are pretty damn good if you ask me, how tall do you think Gore is?
Originally posted by Timdiz:
To me, Da'Rick Rogers is more of a possession type receiver. Justin Hunter is more of a X receiver, the deep threat guy. Well, only based on highlights tapes.

The fact that I am after a legit deep ball wideout, right away I have screened out Da'Rick Rogers. But, if you want to talk about "rawness", then I would argue Cordarrelle Patterson is even more raw. I have not noticed the issue of body-catching with Justin Hunter, but rather much more with Patterson to be honest. I would say, in terms of catching ability alone, Justin Hunter probably trumps Patterson especially for the high ball when you need to go up to get it against DBs. What Patterson has is his pure genius running ability, be it after the catch or more so with kick returns.
Agreed dude doesn't have the speed to burn people deep(and rarely did it college...) which is what confuses me to why he's winning the poll...Give me Stedman Bailey or Markus Wheaton..

Amazing that he has double the votes of any other receiver in this poll so far.
Let's talk about how he compares to other receivers in another poll, the "Who is quick off the line?" poll.
At the combine, out of NEARLY 40 receivers, Da'Rick Rogers ran THE SLOWEST 10 yard split.
Maybe he's a possession guy, maybe he's a redzone guy, but he's not going to be the deep burner of this draft, regardless of "value."
Said it before, I'll say it again: He's outrageously overrated by this board. But only time will tell for sure!
How old are you ? In your 20s or even younger ? What you prefer is fine, just don't force me to follow your view. You can prefer AJ and Rogers as much as you want. I am sticking with Justin Hunter, thank you very much.

Never asked you to agree with me, I just asked you to acknowledge that there are similarities in the draft profile of AJ and Hunter. I don't actually expect you to agree, since you are clearly riding the Hunter bandwagon. I'm pretty comfortable in my football experience, as a player, fan and coach, and I believe that we all get excited about prospects that don't make it. I see interesting potential in Hunter, but nothing that suggests that he will be able to avoid injuries and being physically dominated by stronger players in the NFL, especially since the Seahawks are allowed to hold downfield. I had the same concerns with AJ (and I still do) last spring, and I believe he was a better player in college than Hunter.
Share 49ersWebzone