LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Best (value) deep threat WR?

Best (value) deep threat WR?

Originally posted by 49ers808:
This. Dude abused everyone at the senior bowl! Poor mans Tavon Austin who i'd love to take. Actually I don't know if anyone saw this or if it even means anything but at his combine interview there's a 49ers microphone in the front the entire time
His production is not there, are we trying to emulate the redskin's of yesteryear and their smurfs? LMJ, Hunter and another short guy.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Some of the receivers being bandied about have questions about them. DaRick Rogers, was in the doghouse at Tenn, before his drug related dismisal. Does he have his head on straight?

Justin Hunter- According to some, catches the ball with his body and not his hands a lot (in the red zone and other instances you want the wr to go get the ball.) Which leads us to another another argument by some, he needs to work on his strength so he can fight for the ball (like Bolden does). Which leads to another analysis, still hasn't learned to use his size to his advantage on a consistent basis. Other tidbits that were commonly stated, route runnning needs work and his best games and top producing games came against weak defenses, tape doesn't match his measureables. In one case they said he won't be instant coffee-meaning he will have to be developed. Don't we have Jenkins already that needs developing?

What do you want? A Z or X wr?

To me, Da'Rick Rogers is more of a possession type receiver. Justin Hunter is more of a X receiver, the deep threat guy. Well, only based on highlights tapes.

The fact that I am after a legit deep ball wideout, right away I have screened out Da'Rick Rogers. But, if you want to talk about "rawness", then I would argue Cordarrelle Patterson is even more raw. I have not noticed the issue of body-catching with Justin Hunter, but rather much more with Patterson to be honest. I would say, in terms of catching ability alone, Justin Hunter probably trumps Patterson especially for the high ball when you need to go up to get it against DBs. What Patterson has is his pure genius running ability, be it after the catch or more so with kick returns.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
For those of you who are not keen on Justin Hunter, you might want to read this :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160371/article/justin-hunter-is-top-wr-in-nfl-draft-greg-cosell-says
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
For those of you who are not keen on Justin Hunter, you might want to read this :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160371/article/justin-hunter-is-top-wr-in-nfl-draft-greg-cosell-says

I didn't know he blew out an ACL. Kind of ruins it for me. I'm firmly still on the Keenan Allen/DaRick Rogers bandwagon.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:48 AM ]
Value? Rodgers in the third. He might be the best overall in that group.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
I didn't know he blew out an ACL. Kind of ruins it for me. I'm firmly still on the Keenan Allen/DaRick Rogers bandwagon.

He blew his ACL the year before last, went through a tough rehab, came back in 2012 and still cleared 1,000 receiving yards !!!

He is THE man without a doubt !!!
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
For me, it's Da'Rick Rogers...great size at 6-2, 217, quickness, and is tough to bring down. He's got strength you don't typically see at WR...great going over the middle, which is important in any WCO/read-option offense. His off-field issues seem to be behind him...I just think he has an "it" factor I didn't see in others.
Originally posted by mayo49:

He blew his ACL the year before last, went through a tough rehab, came back in 2012 and still cleared 1,000 receiving yards !!!

He is THE man without a doubt !!!

He's the STICK man, without a doubt!!! Didn't we just do speedy, productive, skinny guy? Take away Jenkins' quickness and add 3 inches, and you have Justin Hunter, except I like AJ's routes and hands better.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He's the STICK man, without a doubt!!! Didn't we just do speedy, productive, skinny guy? Take away Jenkins' quickness and add 3 inches, and you have Justin Hunter, except I like AJ's routes and hands better.

You like AJ's routes and hands ?! LOL. Hey, you are just being sarcastic right I hope ?! Routes, he didn't even know where to line up on the field as shown in the Cards game. Hands, didn't he drop the only pass Kaep threw him ?

You like AJ's routes and hands ?! LOL. Hey, you are just being sarcastic right I hope ?! Routes, he didn't even know where to line up on the field as shown in the Cards game. Hands, didn't he drop the only pass Kaep threw him ?

Maybe you should watch some games and learn some football before coming off like a defensive fanboy. AJ runs sharp routes and gets into and out of his breaks in a hurry. Hunter rounds his routes frequently, which can negate his speed against NFl CBs. AJ routinely catches away from his body, using his massive hands to aggressively snatch the ball. I see a lot of bobbles and body balls from Hunter. AJJ played a lot for the University of Illinois. Their games were televised. There are also highlights on YouTube (it's an intenet website). Basing everything you know about a player on very limited snaps during his first pro season is foolish, especially considering that his last preseason game was impressive.

Knowing plays and running routes are very different things, too. He might not have known where to run his route from, on occassion, but that does not mean he can not run the route, or that the route itself would not be disciplined, sharp, and sudden (these things get you separation, which is a good thing).
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM ]

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Maybe you should watch some games and learn some football before coming off like a defensive fanboy. AJ runs sharp routes and gets into and out of his breaks in a hurry. Hunter rounds his routes frequently, which can negate his speed against NFl CBs. AJ routinely catches away from his body, using his massive hands to aggressively snatch the ball. I see a lot of bobbles and body balls from Hunter. AJJ played a lot for the University of Illinois. Their games were televised. There are also highlights on YouTube (it's an intenet website). Basing everything you know about a player on very limited snaps during his first pro season is foolish, especially considering that his last preseason game was impressive.

Knowing plays and running routes are very different things, too. He might not have known where to run his route from, on occassion, but that does not mean he can not run the route, or that the route itself would not be disciplined, sharp, and sudden (these things get you separation, which is a good thing).

I don't give a crap what he did in college. The FACT is he is yet to show up, period !! Plain and simple !! Oh and just for your sake, he better improves comes this season cos he already has a huge "BUST" written across his forehead, not to mention he will be cut !! Start praying if I were you !!

I don't give a crap what he did in college. The FACT is he is yet to show up, period !! Plain and simple !! Oh and just for your sake, he better improves comes this season cos he already has a huge "BUST" written across his forehead, not to mention he will be cut !! Start praying if I were you !!

What has Justin Hunter done in the NFL again? You seem pretty interested in what he did in college. Warning: double standards can result from becoming too emotionally invested in any one particular prospect.
Best deep threat and best WR are the same guy: DeAndre Hopkins; AKA my favorite player in the draft.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
What has Justin Hunter done in the NFL again? You seem pretty interested in what he did in college. Warning: double standards can result from becoming too emotionally invested in any one particular prospect.

Are you talking sense or what ?! The guy is not even in the NFL yet, so how else can you judge him from ?! Jenkins, on the other hand has been with the 9ers for a year already. Oh and I wasn't the one who started the notion that he might be a bust. And is not just from the media alone neither, many 9ers fans also share the same concern. Busts do happen all the time, is not excactly an alien concept.
I like Rodgers and Dobson in this draft as deep threats. Dobson does great in the redzone as well.
Share 49ersWebzone